Where can I get harness parts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Field-of-Dreams

Reaction score
It had started out as a beautiful drive....
default_rolleyes.gif
Our guys were great, there were 11 Mini units and ten big horse ones. We were kinda in the middle of the minis. Now, I don't know exactly what happened, but my friend who was driving Dunny said this lady was letting her horse hurry up to Dunny, then when Kristen pulled over to let her pass she'd stop and drop back. She did this about four times. All of a sudden I hear "RUNAWAY!" and this Mini is FLYING down the drive, ears pinned and flat out. He looked PO'd... I manage to pull hard over to the left so Kristen can get Dunny over. I honestly thought she was going to clip Dunny's wheels... She manages to pass Dunny and pulls directly in front of him. I don't know if she clipped him or not- all I remember is my Sunny running about five strides, then Dunny literally exploded. This is our old man who NEVER puts a foot wrong. He jumped, bolted and took off. Kristen got him away and into a field, where he began to buck- I don't know if the harness broke and started him bucking, or he bucked and the harness broke. All I know is that he would have put a bronc to shame.... He kicked out the front of the Meadowbrook before Kristen got him stopped. It was the longest 30 seconds I ever saw. One of the drivers of a big rig headed him and we got the harness off.... it was a new harness. Was. Fortunately, Dunny wasn't hurt, and Kristen managed to come out with a kicked knee but otherwise unscathed.

He broke the tug holder that attaches to the saddle. One of the ladies at the drive told me the terrets unscrew and we can replace that, does anyone know where I can get one? Or I can just make a new strap? The Meadowbrook can be glued back together, we didn't lose any pieces.

Plus, now we have to try Dunny out again. I hope this hasn't ruined him, as he is our kiddie horse, parade horse, Show N Tell horse.... do anything guy...
default_unsure.png

Lucy

Oh dear!
default_new_shocked.gif
Given the nature of the accident I would imagine he will probably go back to work just fine (he wasn't hurt, he was angry rather than scared, it wasn't the cart that caused the initial problem) but you may want to use a kicking strap the next few times you drive him to be on the safe side. Edited to add: I would get him back into harness right away. The longer they sit, the bigger a deal it becomes in their minds when you do hitch them again.

As for replacing your broken harness parts, I would contact whoever made your harness or failing that any local harnessmaker who works in the same material your harness was made of. A tug strap is a pretty easy thing to replace. I'm so glad no one was hurt!
default_shutup.gif
Did you ever find out what caused the whole thing, or what set Dunny off?

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know offhand but know I"ve seen something out there and will look to find it, a resource where you might obtain parts..Have you checked with the place you bought it?

This is one of my greatest fears also as a senior citizen..not able to withstand injury very well..I trust Shammy explicitly and yet she did startle once. We were on a close tight trail and we flushed out a Grouse! It went right in front of us, wings flapping and leaves flying..my SHammy jumped slightly sideways and absolutely froze! Staring at where it came from. It took a bit of talking and relaxing for her to walk on and she was fine..so that's what I hope always happens but your situation was totally different.

Our first priority in trail driving is safety and CONSIDERATION of all others! It's not acceptable for one driver to make any others uncomfortable! Also a pet peeve of mine is people who bring their dogs along and they run all up and down..NOT! Put your dog in your cart or make sure it stays beside you at all times! I do!(Course mine is 8lbs and I carry him with me.)

So glad your outcome was as good as it was and I bet Dunny will be fine..he simply reacted to a situation and he should be fine, just try to make your next drive in a controlled environment> Round pen or arena?

Good luck,

Maxine

Last edited by a moderator:
default_unsure.png
man that's scary. Hope your fella is fine when you reharness him, he sounds like a sweetie
default_wub.png

Ash
default_saludando.gif

I'm really glad nobody was hurt! Hope your guy gets back in the swing of things quickly - I bet he will do fine. (Miniatures are nothing if not flexible!)

Re: harness parts, you could check with Iowa Valley Carriage. I noticed they have harness parts and hardware, and some things in mini sizes. (I've never bought anything from them, but found them doing one of my searches for cart wheels...)

Latest posts

Back