When your teeny mare is hugely pregnant!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dontworrybeappy

Reaction score
902869_378732882235932_1190503924_o.jpg

We've been threatening to strap a skateboard to her belly for a long time - today we made good!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend whose one broodmare's belly almost touched the ground just before foaling. I made tge skateboard comment and we all laughed. I turned my back and that mare nipped me! We laughed even harder.

She's so cute. Great pics. [Dispite the caption, I missed the skateboard the first time around.]

I sure don't mean to be an alarmist, but I've just had experience with hydroallantois and maybe you want to be aware of this rare condition.

http://veterinarynews.dvm360.com/dvm/Veterinary+Equine/Hydrops-rare-but-know-signs/ArticleStandard/Article/detail/13320

In the case I had the mare didn't abort, but was shocky after foaling. We were very fortunate that our foal was healthy and vigorous although maybe a bit premature. I would just suggest that you might want to discuss this with your vet ahead of time and do what you can to prepare.

The strange thing is, another breeder I know has had all 3 mares with this condition. The first 2 aborted (but mares survived) but they were able to treat and hold the third one off and got a live foal that needed some extra support after being born but is healthy now.

Good luck with your sweet mare's foaling.

Last edited by a moderator:
This morning Bug foaled a lovely (teeny) Colt we're calling "Bud" - From his hair coat, yes he's a bit preemie but WOW is he a strong little guy! Delivery was pretty textbook once she settled into pushing!

Bug wasn't sure about letting him nurse, so I gave him a supplemental bottle of banked colostrum just to give him a "reserve" of energy and such, and now they are both doing GREAT! *Whew*!

Congratulations! Was there an excessive amount of fluid with the delivery? Just wondering.

Looking forward to seeing pix of your little guy!

Didn't seem like too much fluid... 'bout usual. (I foal out 10-40 mares a year as a mini-midwife, plus bunches of big horses)

Latest posts

Back