When will people stop breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read all the posts. I just want to say that if someone is trying to sell their horses and say the "Oh the economy", or "Too many horses" or "Need the room" ..... I do not want to see you breeding more for the next year !!! Seriously, quit breeding every year !!

Last edited:
I HAVEN'T BRED IN 2 YEARS BECAUSE OF DOWN MARKET. NOW WITH THE NEW PROBLEMS MOST PEOPLE ARE SAVING THEIR MONEY. HORSES ARE A LUXARY NOW. UNTIL THE MARKET TURNS AROUND I MAY ONLY BREED ONE OR TWO,DEPENDING ON IF I SELL SOME.

I haven't read all the posts so might be an echo here, but I think "please people stop breeding" is too general. Some people breed 15 foals a year and have no problem selling all 15 foals. As long as you can do this with responsibility, dignity, and credibility, which plenty of people can, I see know problem with it. What I would agree with is saying, "If you are out of space, and can't sell the foals you already have, then stop breeding!" That is just common sense, which some obviously lack. Not everyone who breeds are causing problems, and it has nothing to do with the quality of the horse, so I really don't care if you have national champions or short necked pets. If you are dumping horses or selling to "just anyone" or giving horses away simply because you need space for the next round of foals, you are the problem. If you are breeding 50 short necked pets a year but can find loving homes for every single one of them, then to each their own. I know many would disagree with that, and I see the points, but that's just my opinion and I am not interested in debating it
default_smile.png

I think what we need to stay away from are generalizations. The problem is not "simple" and there is not a "simple" solution. Eliminating breeding is not the answer. The answer is education and accountability for those who are breeding irresponsibly. And I don't attribute breeding irresponsibly to breeding pet quality. There are farms who produce champions that breed irresponsibly and there are farms that produce pet quality that do it with respect and dignity, of course that can be flipped around.

I think a lot of the problem lies in sales. An irresponsible breeder started by purchasing a horse from someone. And while I am not so naive that I think we can always predict or assume all will go well, I think we can just hope for the best, but I do think if every seller really learned about the prospective buyer and what they were looking for and what they wanted, that would save the industry from some disasters.

If you have someone stop by and say that they drove by your farm and thought the minis were so cute, "I think I'll have one" well then maybe you should not offer a horse to them, or take the time to educate and teach them before you sell the horse........

Robin, I agree with you 100%. I'm sizing down my herd at this stage of life so am not breeding anymore. If someone buys a mare from me and wants her bred to one of my 3 stallions, I will be glad to do that but I'm not breeding for myself to increase my herd. And the market seems to be very slow these days.

Joyce

I have 2 mares, and 2 geldings....If i ever choose to breed , it will only be so I can have an offspring of the girls when they get older, and not to sell ever... but I really never want to breed , and they are under 3 years old , so I have a lot of fun years ahead of me..... I would worry too much that something would happen to the mom or baby if I were to breed them. I know breeders that breed , and breed and breed , but keep their horses in small pens because they dont have enough space to let them run and be horses.
default_wacko.png
they look like veal, no muscle , and depressed. I dont ever want to do that to my kids. But I know there are a lot of responsible breeders out there that have adequate space. All breeders should have animal control come out and measure living space. If you dont have enough space ...well then no more breeding until your herd is lower.
default_unsure.png

I think the problem is people don't see these miniatures as "horses". They see that they are so much smaller and so much easier to take care of and since they are "smaller" then your average big horse you can have more of them.

Like I know some people have mentioned is you can't stop the breeding, but maybe perhaps we should try to cut our breedings down atleast by half. Heck everything their is to own a horse is going up in price, but yet again these miniatures don't require as much as big horses. Maybe we should treat our miniatures like big horses and see the reality that these are horses. Instead of breeding for more and more lets go out and promote them. Instead of breeding lets have fun and enjoy what we have now. In big horses geldings are more popular, why can't it be that way with the miniatures? Lets show how versatile these miniatures can be instead of just baby factories.

You know that saying that I hear within the miniature horse breed "they are like a bag of potato chips, you can't just have one". Maybe thats a bad saying.

I was part of the problem, I am learning, I am now enjoying it again.

l persume breeding will really sluff of when you know what freezes over..the one thing l have noticed in my area is the number of the more known farms have cut back..but it's the newer ones only around the past few years who seem to really get a kick out of breeding as many as they can. We have 30 some mares and the most we've ever had was 7 foals in a year and that was only twice usually it's only 3/5. Though l would hate for someone to tell me to cut back even more with that number when they don't do it themselves nine out of ten times....

Maybe we should treat our miniatures like big horses and see the reality that these are horses. Instead of breeding for more and more lets go out and promote them. Instead of breeding lets have fun and enjoy what we have now. In big horses geldings are more popular, why can't it be that way with the miniatures? Lets show how versatile these miniatures can be instead of just baby factories.
Amen to that! I agree 100%!

But don't forget that one of the ways we can promote them is that they are NOT the same as full size horses. The only reason I can have a horse is because my mini is relatvely inexpensive to keep. He eats less than a bale a week, my big horse use to eat 3/4 of a bale a day. At $6 or more a bale that's a big difference. Same with grain, same with bedding, same with the size of the paddock, and for me, same with the farrier work. The only things that I pay the same on are vetrinary and dental care. The mini CAN be a horse for those who are not right for big horses, they just have to understand that it IS a comittmint and a responsibility.

I see your point, Matt, but I think promoting minis as more than just pretty little pets is very important. Many people, such as myself, got into minis because of horse related injuries, but still want to do more with horses than just look at them or show them in halter classes.
default_wink.png

But don't forget that one of the ways we can promote them is that they are NOT the same as full size horses. The only reason I can have a horse is because my mini is relatvely inexpensive to keep. He eats less than a bale a week, my big horse use to eat 3/4 of a bale a day. At $6 or more a bale that's a big difference. Same with grain, same with bedding, same with the size of the paddock, and for me, same with the farrier work. The only things that I pay the same on are vetrinary and dental care. The mini CAN be a horse for those who are not right for big horses, they just have to understand that it IS a comittmint and a responsibility.
I agree Matt, and yes we can promote that, but I think thinking that way is what got us into this trouble. They don't cost just as much as a big horse, they don't eat as much as a big horse, and they don't take up room near as much as an big horse. I don't remeber how many minis equals a big horse? Anyways, my point is 1 doesn't cost so much why not get more, why not breed for more. If everyone sees it that way think about how many miniatures there would be.

I know for one considering how many minis I have down here, I wouldn't have near that many big horses. Just something to think about. They are what I consider a "horse" not a breeding factory for making smaller horses available to everyone. There just has to be a limit and you are seeing it now with the big horses, people can't afford to take care of them. Thank goodness the miniatures don't cost as much to upkeep.

I feel like instead of breeding to make more, why not promote the ones we have. Why can't we just train them up and do something with them. Make the miniature horse a versatile breed, like the Quarter Horse. Lets not just try to promote them saying they can replace your big horses cause they are easier to take care of. Train them up, show people why you are proud to own miniature horses.

I'm not talking directly to you Matt, just in general.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back