When will people stop breeding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsefeather

Reaction score
I'll probably get fussed at for this, but it is quickly becoming a huge pet peeve of mine! I have seen SO MANY folks (both on here and other forums) that say they must downsize their herd, or they have too much work and can't keep up, or they must make room for the new babies, etc. but MOST (not all) of those folks are selling their mares "bred to so-n-so for a 09 foal." Can't people look around and SEE the problem is getting worse and worse for selling horses....not just minis, but big horses as well! Most of the rescues are so full they can't take in anymore horses. Please folks, STOP BREEDING
default_frusty.gif
default_pray.gif
for awhile. It isn't really that hard. If you have stallions, keep them away from your mares. That's all it takes.

Pam

I agree to an extent...I believe that all breeders should only breed horses that they would be able to comfortably keep for any amount of time should they not be able to sell them for any reason.

It scares me also to see the number of foals being born at single farms every season with the market so slow...where are all these babies going to end up?

It must be frustrating however, for the breeders of quality horses to see so many, poor quality back yard breeding operations pumping out below average horses year after year horse after horse...ugh I know it makes my blood boil.

I do agree with you, really, and for myself I'm not much on selling bred mares. I confess, I'm not much on selling at all, I'm much better at buying
default_laugh.png
so what I'm going to say next is not in defense of what I do!

The problem is, I do know people who say that they have found so many people don't want to buy open mares. Past experience has shown them that if they want to sell mares then those mares must be in foal. To back that up, I know other people who absolutely refuse to buy a mare that hasn't been bred/isn't in foal. Someone once told me about mares she was looking at. Some of them hadn't had any foals yet and the sellers claimed those mares had never been bred. This person just couldn't believe that--she was pretty much convinced that these people were lying, because she couldn't see why anyone would have mares and not breed them (hmmmm. I wonder if in the past when I'd told her that we weren't going to breed our young mares, that these young girls are for driving, not breeding, if she thought I was lying too? I didn't ask.)--she believed that these sellers actually had problem mares that had either never caught in foal or had problems and lost their foals. So, when people encounter potential buyers with that attitude, I can kind of see where they feel like they need to breed mares in order to sell. Then of course if the mare doesn't sell, owner has yet another foal to deal with.

Minimor, I agree with you... and I know many who will pass on a mare who has not foaled the last couple of years or more... even if it is on purpose... because so many people have been burned with what was supposed to be a 'breedable mare' that certainly turned out NOT to be!!

Well, I guess I have a lot of "problem mares" then
default_biggrin.png

Several of mine have never been bred -- several haven't been bred in a few years, etc. Heck, I've cut back to no breeding or only 2 a yr. I like a foal to have a playmate. This yr I had two, not an issue to keep them both! In fact, I plan to do just that.

Some farms breed with the intent to sell to offset feed, I'm sure. But responsibly you need to be prepared to keep them forever. Mine did NOT call and ask to come live with me. My choice, my responsibility for care. Simple.

I definitely agree with you on this.

Considering we have a large-ish herd, we've severely curtailed our breeding season and number of mares exposed to a stallion, the past few years. As it stands right now with the economy and my herd size breeding will be minimal if at all in 2009. I know my herd is too big for where I want to be, but I have a strong commitment to my horses (especially the retired ones and our pets!), so reducing our numbers is slow going!

Our sales list though, very clearly states mares will be sold open (not bred) unless a contract/$$ is taken care of first then I will breed a mare. But buyers are skeptical if mares are bred! Many people study the studbooks - no registered foals - must be a problem there!!!

On the other side of the coin - some breeders feel if a mare isn't bred she's wasted space! I've been at auction where they describe a mare as a cash cow! That's also what seller tell buyers - to breed and sell the foals to make money, etc.

It really is a vicious circle, but I do hate to read on classified sales and forum about the 'must reduce this years herd to make room for the 2009 foals'! These aren't cars!!

I agree...I have only 9 horses, one is a gelding, one is a stallion. I do not breed every year. I make sure babies are sold into good homes before I breed again. I make sure that I can afford what I have.

I breed only two at a time AND I alternate which mares I use and again, not every year..... BUT........ when you try to sell a mare that is open, or hasn't been bred for a few years, nobody seems to want them AND There have been a few years that I didn't have a stallion unrelated to my mares, or didn't have one breeding age too.

Sales are hard, everyone wants a 2 for one price. Still.... I won't breed them just to sell them. I HATE selling bred mares, I feel deeply responsible for them, to foal them out safely. I HATE when I hear mares foaling alone, and I don't want one of my mares alone when their time comes. I know we can all be surprised once in a while... that's not what I mean... there are too many out there that just let nature take its course... so I don't like to sell bred mares. OOPS.... getting onto another subject... sorry...

Robin

I just bought a mare , and I have no intentions to breed. We have so many out there needing a good home. Why not look for a nice one to show , shine him /her up a bit , and spend the 600. to hardship ? I did, and I am very happy with him. A lot of the "unwanted " horses out there end up being diamonds in the rough, and CAN keep up with the rest. just an oppinion...I have a mixed herd, some rescued ,1 expensive registered to show, and 2 nice shetland of the bulkier size . they are all GREAT in their own way..except the 30 year old Donkey which I have a love / hate relationship with...mostly love.

I bred most of my mares last year but didn't breed any the year before. I had 7 foals born this year, lost 2 colts and both times had to have the vet out and paid cash no problem. I have 5 currently, 4 fillies and 1 colt. If the 3 I have for sale don't sell I can keep them. I am downsizing a bit due to me being pregnant to lessen the work load for my husband this winter as we also have a dairy farm and milk on average 25 head. I have 9 mares possibly in foal for 2009 and one open mare. I may have a buyer for my 2008 fillies. To me I'd rather a good home than the money. This lady has little kids and is trying to talk her husband into buying both my fillies that I have for sale, she is pretty sure they will take one. I told her $1800 for the 2. So that is $900 a filly. Not everyone is a backyard breeder and I breed my mares but have the means to keep ALL the foals. I do have someone who wants one of Ohso Dandy's foals but they will have to wait until next year as her 2008 filly I am keeping. I currently have 10 mares, 4 fillies, 1 colt, and 3 stallions. Of those 18 I have 6 for sale.(2 mares, 2 fillies, 1 colt and 1 stallion). Only because I am pregnant not because I can't take care of them finacially.

My take on the problem is there are too many people breeding when they don't really know much about horses, or what it takes to produce a good horse. I got my first horse in 1994 and my first mini in 1999. Spent a lot of time showing and learning and had my FIRST home bred foals (three) in 2008. We have 7 breeding age mares and we have bred three of them for next year. I still buy quality horses and I think if I decided to sell any of our 2008 foals (they are quite nice), they'd find good homes that would appreciate them. However, Harvey and I appreciate them enough ourselves right now and opted to keep them and show them in 2009.

From what I have seen, it's completely typical for a person to get their first mini, often their first horse, and become a breeder right off the bat. Don't worry if the horse has major conformation flaws and no papers, etc. You can sell those foals and make some more seems to be the mindset with many.

They won't and no one will be able to change that, no matter what is said. Each has their own reason for doing so and in their mind it is right, after all it is for them. We have had this thread several times, and there have been responses by people in the past who do agree, yet they go on to say I breed because of XXX XXX XXX, in their mind that reason is "valid" and no matter what is said, that reason will remain valid to them. You will find a few along the line who change their mind, but not many.

With me it is about education, plus seeing the big picture.

My babies I bred are coming 4 year olds, no babies for next year, another stud to be gelded soon. If I do decide to breed, I have 2 National winning mares in my lot, and it will be for a baby that would stay here. But I am still learning.

I'm not a breeder. My horses are registered pets. Usually when this subject comes up it turns into a back-yard- breeder bashing session with people justifying their breeding practices by saying they breed 'quality' horses but those who don't should cut back. My hat's off to you ladies for not going there!

We are definitely leaving mares open and allowing our fillies to be much older before considering to breed anymore. We have always put a lot of time and consideration into our breeding program anyway. We have never held the idea that just because a mare can be bred, she should be bred. We may have 1-2 babies next year but these will be welcome additions if they arrive (crossing our fingers for fillies!!!)

I've said it for 20 years--mares are more than a uterus. I've had 14 babies in 20 years, and have had 12-18 minis at a time. (I currently have 11). Most mini mares show until 2, get their wins, then are retired to breed (there were several 2 year old bred mares at the World sale--from well known farms). I drive all my mares--2 of my girls are 13 and have been shown for 10 years. Misty has not and will never be bred, Sunny has had 3 foals. Maybe Mare Incentive Performance classes???

I usually breed 1/4 to 1/3 of my mares per year. I have maiden mares 5-6 years old. I bred ONE of them this year, for the first time. I usually breed for my taste in horses AND what the market is demanding...this year I bred (5-6 mares) for me and what *I* like
default_wink.png
It is a catch-22 on selling bred mares. Most people will not buy an open broodmare or one who hasn't popped out a baby every 12 months. I just don't breed that way. My mares aren't bred every year, often not even every other year:::shrug:::

I bred all whooping 3 of my mares this year and if I have to keep the foals I will. I only had two foals this year and so far, it looks like I'm keeping them both too. One is a filly that I plan to keep and the other is an awesome colt that will make an even better gelding. So, I'll keep him if I have too and show him. Next year, since one of our stallions is sweepstakes nominated, we'll breed some mares to him. If we have to take a couple young stock to a sale, then we'll do that. But you'll never see me offer a bred mare for sale. I will only sell open mares.

I usually breed 1/4 to 1/3 of my mares per year. I have maiden mares 5-6 years old. I bred ONE of them this year, for the first time. I usually breed for my taste in horses AND what the market is demanding...this year I bred (5-6 mares) for me and what *I* like It is a catch-22 on selling bred mares. Most people will not buy an open broodmare or one who hasn't popped out a baby every 12 months. I just don't breed that way. My mares aren't bred every year, often not even every other year:::shrug:::
I think Laura said it best for me.

This year I have two maybe three mares bred for 2009. I could easily had a dozen bred but I just don't breed that way. I have open mares for 09 for sale and maybe people haven't bought them because they are "open". Oh well, I'm not breeding every mare every year just to prove they are broodmare material. Come on leaving a mare open for a year, two , three or more doesn't mean this mare has a problem. I think it just proves the owner is a reasponsable horse man, that has care and compassion for their mares. Or maybe they have enough minis and have no need to add to their herd.Could be a ton of reasons for not breeding.Now I'm not cutting down anyone who breeds their mares each year either. I have mares that have been bred many consecutive years in row. I just don't think you judge a mare that isn't bred every year as being a problem mare. Joyce

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back