When will I know its time for the formal introduction

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodlepill

Reaction score
I got a 6 year old intact male and had him gelded about 2 weeks ago. He was
charging at the other two geldings along the fence when I first got him (got him
on a Saturday and gelded on that Monday LOL) He no longer lunges at the other
two geldings along the fence and I can walk him on a lead with the other two
geldings loose, of course everyone is very nosy and nippy with each other. He
has manners and has been handled and trained to drive and he never was used to
breed. I just cant tell when its time to put them together and test the water. I
do find myself wanting to push it for my own laziness, it will be so much easier
for ME when they can all be together <sigh>

Also when I do put them together, I am assuming there will be rearing up and
dominance challenges. Worst case, how do I know when its too aggressive or just
them working it out.

And, do I let them all out in the large open pasture? where I cant really
catch them to break up a fight or keep them in the smaller paddock where I can
intervene? Will they run eachother into a fence or over a fence if there is too much space to get running?

No one can answer your question and predict the outcome. This is something you are just going to have to find out on your own. Only suggestion I have for you is to not turn your new guy in with your other two. Instead, I would do it backwards, and introduce one of them in with him and get him used to that one horse for a good while. When that is all hunky dorey, I would then remove that horse, and the introduce your other one alone with him as well, only having him have to deal with one horse at a time. Once he is used to horse #2 for quite some while, if its going good, then you can try them all out together. There will still be a dominance issue of course but you should moniter that so no one is being used as a constant punching bag. If that does occur, I would remove the one that is getting abused into his own safe place. One thing I do not put up with ever around here is having a horse that is causing injury to another. That is when you cross fence and separate.

Best wishes to you.

Great Advice, thank you. I hadnt thought of introducing one at a time, that would be less hectic I think. I will do that first.

Latest posts

Back