When purchasing a driving mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoey829

Reaction score
I am interested in a driving mare. I never purchased a driving mare before. What ?'s should I ask? How do I know she is sound? I am just looking for a pleasure driving mare just for short local driving. ANy help would be great.

I purchased a driving mare once a few years ago and regretfully sold her.

At the time, I knew very little about driving(still don't really) But I did watch her get tacked up and hitched to the cart. She stood like a rock for it. When the seller climbed in the cart, she stood well also. They demonstarted her driving, and that 30" mare was fabulous! I had never driven before, I got in the cart and that mare was wonderful, I swore she took care of stupid ol' me.

I kept her with the seller for a couple weeks, went up and took 4 lessons and learned how to harness her up( bet I can't remember anymore though) The lessons helped me a lot and helped build a little confidence in myself.

Driving was the best fun, it was like driving a fancy little sports car like a red corvette! I miss her!

Robin

has she been driven in traffic

does she stand (whoa) well

is she a quiet driving mare or excitable

how long has she been driving

ok for a beginning driver

has she been driven by different people

spooky at all

has she been in parades, shows, around crowds (experience)

stand well for harnessing

kind of bit used

overcheck or side check on harness

hope some of these help

you will love driving we have 4 that drive its my favorite

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much. I am copying and pasting all those ?'s right now!!!!

All great advice above.... since she will be driving you might also want to ask if her teeth have ever been checked/ floated? You dont want to have one that is going to get fussy in the bit, etc... because her teeth hurt.

I would also observe, if possible, her being harnessed, driven, etc... and then with all the questions, etc.... above, I can't think of much else.

You can always have a vet check done- they dont cost much. They may take a look at her feet/legs, etc.. and do a soundness check and over all health check. One of the vets here even pulls blood on a soundness check on the full sized horses. Folks have been known to give bute to disguise lameness or something to 'mellow them out' til they get to your house, LOL

Because Minis are not carrying weight but pulling it, I dont think they are as prone to the feet/leg issues that riding horses are by packing weight, but a general soundness exam doesnt hurt. They check everything from stifles, feet, etc...

Good luck, I LOVE driving!!!! I breed for performance so like a horse that moves well and loves to drive!! How fun- keep us posted!

I sold a driving gelding lately. I couldn't believe it, but the people that bought him told me some of their shopping experiences:

1. Horse advertised as driving horse but when they drove all the way over to look, there was no cart or harness to demonstrate.

2. Horse advertised as driving horse, but only owned by the people for two weeks--someone told THEM it drove (no cart or harness in sight). They couldn't even tell for sure about its temperament. My buyers were amazed at how many people had only owned their advertised driving horses for days or weeks.

When they called about my horse they asked if I had a cart and harness, and could they see him driven. I thought, DUH, or course! How could I be selling a driving horse without cart and harness?? I did not realize, in my naiviety, what the buyers had gone through. I had owned him almost 3 years and could tell them all his little foibles.

They were thrilled to get into the cart for the first time and be behind a little horse!

So, to answer your question, make sure the sellers have a cart and harness and CAN demonstrate the horse's performance.

Hi,

I have inquired about a few mini mares who were advertised as driving trained, but the present owners had only used them as brood mares and had no knowledge of the mares driving history, only that they were told they drove! So my first question is

How long have you owned this mare?,

how long has she been driving? Have you driven her? Can you hook her and demonstrate her driving?

Where has she been driven ,only ring or road/trail?

Has she been harnessed and driven with breeching?

That's a start anyway, then I want to see how quiet they go, and one thing I've noticed in mini's (that I didn't see much with the big horses ) was that mini's try so hard to do what is asked of them, that sometimes people can get away with skipping steps in training, so see how the mare reacts to noises behind them, I would even ground drive them to see how comfortable they are with someone behind them, and how well they accept the bit harness etc.

However...

I am finding the mare I got , who was ridden but never driven, is taking very nicely to the training and doing well with the long lining and ground driving , so if you find a mare you like, who has a temperament you like, and a trainer nearby, you may want to train your own.....

Amy

Thanks. She said she would hook her up and demo. The mare has been shown in driving class under amhr. The bad thing is she lives so far I cant do lessons with her. I guess I could find someone local. Ii wonder what the cost would be??

Don't know where you're located but around here IF you can find anyone that knows something about driving, they'll charge $50 an hour for a lesson.

You're best bet is to find a rock solid horse that has "been there and done that". In other words one that is calm, has been shown or driven A LOT, and doesn't mind amatures "behind the wheel"!

We were lucky enough to have purchased such a horse (gelding) as our first horse. He taught us to drive and put up with a LOT of errors while we learned. He is now 20 and is teaching our 40 yr old daughter to drive and enjoy minis. He's not what they want in the show ring now days but to us he's worth his weight (and he's overweight!) in gold!!

Several good 'lists' given already, esp. by hylights, who mentioned BREECHING!

If a horse has just been in the breed show ring, it PROBABLY has not ever been introduced to BREECHING...this is a HUGE HOLE in the 'training' of lots of miniatures(wouldn't you think someone who calls themselves a professional trainer would train to breeching? It CAN be removed for the show ring; it CAN'T be just 'stuck on' the horse!

It is UNKIND, to say the least, to expect a horse, especially a miniature, who routinely hauls a heavier load, proportionately, than many 'big' horses, to be asked to drive anywhere (they 'get by' in the show ring because it is a level, well-firmed surface, and only for very short periods of time; even then, it is NOT the most comfortable thing for a miniature, I STRONGLY feel!)w/o breeching--making it even MORE important for the horse you want to just pleasure drive around your place/the neighborhood, etc. to be trained to and accepting of it! Why? Because breeching is your 'brakes', and your backing-up aid....without it, the horse may well end up pulling, stopping, or moving its load backwards via the harness saddle, which can put TOO MUCH WEIGHT on a (narrow) area of the back, and/or be 'tipped' by the weight so that it 'digs into' the back-even MORE pressure and possible PAIN! (I know; this is a bit of a rant, but SOOOO important, and sadly, SOOO often ignored with miniature driving horses!!)

So-one of the MOST IMPORTANT questions you can ask it whether the horse is PROPERLY trained to accept breeching! Ask many questions of the seller--i.e., do you drive, and if so, what is your driving experience? Who trained the horse? Have YOU driven it? How much? Under what conditions? Honestly, I would be VERY leery of taking ANYONE's 'word for it' unless I saw for myself....do you have an experienced and knowledgable driver who could go with you to look at/try out, purported driving horses?

Another VERY important thing to ask is,'is there a qualified driving trainer I can take some lessons with nearby?' Even to just mosey around your neighborhood, take some lessons so you will have at least BASIC knowledge...If there is just NO one knowledgeable in your area, then at the LEAST, get some really good books and STUDY them closely before you go out to look for a horse! Some of the best are from Doris Ganton, also one by Jaye-Allison Winkel and Robyn Cuffey, for basics; also look on the ADS site for some excellent basic starter books, such as"Making the Most of Carriage Driving", by Vivian and Richard Ellis and Joy Claxton(a British book; very helpful) and for more advanced information, Heike Bean's book, "Carriage Driving"....

Good luck--take your time, be 'choosey'---

Margo

Make sure she has been trained not just for the show ring, but for road/trail/REAL WORLD driving.

I would have a trainer (or experienced driver) with a background in recreational driving (again, not just show ring driving) check the horse out for you. Sellers can and will say anything, and even a trained horse may not have been driven in a while and thus be dangerous for a newbie without a refresher course.

Sometimes a horse will be sold with cart and harness. This can be a boon when you don't know what to look for, but again, have an expert (or at least knowledgeable) driver/trainer check it all out. Cheap or damaged equipment can get you injured or even killed.

Even if the horse is beautifully trained and comes with quality cart and harness, GET A TRAINER AND TAKE LESSONS. Don't listen to anyone who says "It's just a mini." Do it right and have a great time!

It is UNKIND, to say the least, to expect a horse, especially a miniature, who routinely hauls a heavier load, proportionately, than many 'big' horses, to be asked to drive anywhere (they 'get by' in the show ring because it is a level, well-firmed surface, and only for very short periods of time; even then, it is NOT the most comfortable thing for a miniature, I STRONGLY feel!)w/o breeching--making it even MORE important for the horse you want to just pleasure drive around your place/the neighborhood, etc. to be trained to and accepting of it! Why? Because breeching is your 'brakes', and your backing-up aid....without it, the horse may well end up pulling, stopping, or moving its load backwards via the harness saddle, which can put TOO MUCH WEIGHT on a (narrow) area of the back, and/or be 'tipped' by the weight so that it 'digs into' the back-even MORE pressure and possible PAIN! (I know; this is a bit of a rant, but SOOOO important, and sadly, SOOO often ignored with miniature driving horses!!)

Margo
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

my driving horses definately agree with you

i just ordered breeching for my lutke show harnesses!

my horses must have sensitive backs: they do not like backing with those narrow saddles

never had a problem with my work harnesses

Hi!

Just wanted to add one question you may want to ask to all the great advise you are getting. Has the horse ever been in a cart accident?

As Margo mentioned, I too highly recommend training or re-training using breeching and Heike Bean's book, "Carriage Driving"....!!!!

Linda

Thanks for all the advice. I will keep everyone posted.

The driving pony that I currently have was advertised as "can pull a cart". He was located at a petting farm fairly close by so I took my cart and harness to that location to make sure he would fit. The farm had not used him for driving but simply had this information about his history.

There was a kinder/pre school event that day with about six school busses pulling up just as I was attaching the harness. Rusty was pretty jumpy with all the activity so I just took my time and was there for several hours. The roundpen was being used for lead-line and a hay wagon was going around so I worked him in the owner's fenced in front yard. Ground driving first, then when all the kids left the owner helped me put him to. He did just fine and I took him home that day. We're attending a clinic in about two weeks with Tom O'Carroll as instructor for some fine tuning.

My inquiring mind would like to know:

What is the reasoning in the show ring of no breeching on the mini's????????
default_unsure.png

Thanks!

Lori

16.png

Wow! he is awesome looking. He is awesome just standing thier

What is thier distance they can can pull in one session? How often do you take a break for the horse.

Rodeo said:
Just wanted to add one question you may want to ask to all the great advise you are getting. Has the horse ever been in a cart accident?
OHHH, yes. That's a good one! My Arab was advertised as "trained to drive" and he was...they just forgot to mention he'd also had such a bad accident that he'd never be safe to drive again. I found that out the hard way when after being professionally restarted and doing fine he panicked the minute he got into a show arena, took off, broke the cart, harness and probably my head if I hadn't been wearing a helmet. After that he couldn't even bear to be NEAR a cart- he'd have a complete meltdown until it was out of sight. Sellers do seem to conveniently forget to mention deal-breakers like that!
default_rolleyes.gif

zoey829 said:
What is thier distance they can can pull in one session? How often do you take a break for the horse.
Zoey, that's really going to depend on a lot of things. The most important thing is to watch your animal and let him tell you when he's had enough. You don't need to baby the horse as they're tough little things but if he's acting tired, puffing, or sweating you should probably give him a break until his breathing goes back to normal. As the horse gets fitter that will take less and less time and he'll be able to go longer. I'd say probably start with a half hour or less? If you and the horse are still enjoying yourselves at the end of that time then keep on going.

Leia

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the compliment Zoey
default_smile.png
. I've driven with wagon trains either cross country or down the road pretty much all day at a walk. This is with numerous potty breaks during the drive however, and a nice long lunch break with water available for all the horses.

Gosh Leia....How SCARY
default_no.gif
glad you were'nt injured during that accident. I had a lil mare blow up and break the harness during training (with a pro trainer) then a second blow up in which she broke a rein when I was out driving alone with her. I managed to get her stopped...unhitched her from the cart, walked her home and went back for the cart later. I sold the mare after that but not as a driving pony.

Lori

I would alway's ask if it's possible to hook up the horse myself and drive it myself.

Can anybody please explain what breeching is? I don't know the term
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back