When do you clip?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seahorse

Reaction score
When do you all typically clip your minis?

What temperatures are the days, and nights?

Also, at what temperature range do you think it is safe to clip without having to blanket? (I want to clip but I only have a sheet for my mini)

default_laugh.png

Hi,

Here in NY I don't clip my minis until May because it's usually still snowing until the end of March! Sometimes when it's cooler during the day(like 50º), I will still keep the blanket on, but in early May I almost always keep the blankets on at night.

I don't know how helpful this was, seeing as you probably live in a warmer climate.

-Jessica-

Here in Michigan, I usually don't do a full body clip (with no blanketing) until mid May, but I clip heads and necks about mid April.

It doesn't stay warm enough day and night consistently here til sometime in May; but the warmer day time temps in April start driving them nuts in mid-April, so I'll head/neck clip them to relieve the terrible itchies they start getting at that time. I also start seriously brushing them in April; prior to April, I don't do much serious work with a shedding blade as there is still too much cold weather to come.

My horse starts serious driving training in January each year so as soon as the weather becomes more stable in mid-March he gets a trace clip with a 7F blade to let him cool out and not overheat so much during hard sessions. Once the weather starts to routinely hit 50 during the day he just can't work in that shag coat; it's too hard on him.

I do end up blanketing from there on out to protect the clipped areas (I've always used a #10 in the past, I may not need to as much with the 7F) and I personally think it's still too cold to body-clip in April when we have to for the first show. It's not warm enough in the western side of Washington state to make body-clipping a mercy until about mid-June. I think as soon as they start rubbing bald patches, sweating, and looking miserable you'd better be clipping something to help!

Leia

We live in TN and we will be clipping for shows coming up in April the last week of March--But we still have to Blanket them heavy some nights.

Count down till warmer weather is on!!

Here in southern Illinois i clip heads (except ears to prevent frost bite) and partial neck around late Feb to early march depending on the weather. I will only fully clip if i have a show im planning on attending in April but will have them blanketed atleast at night (usually days also) until the first part of may if the weather is nice enough. I would say 65' days and 50' nights are sufficient for no blanket but you have to remember that horses are cold weather animals and with their winter coat prefer 30' weather.

Hope this helps.

It really depends on your night time temperature and if they are free from drafts--epecially at night when the sun is down. If it is staying 60 and above at night and you can keep them free from wind and drafts, you can clip and not really worry about a blanket. You may even be able to get by with the stall sheet if it gets a bit below 60. I usually watch my horses closely after I clip them. If they are shivering, I have been know to tape a blanket from my house on the horse to keep it warm. I have found that many are as different as we are. I have a friend that will wear short sleeve shirts outside while I am wearing a sweatshirt and two coats and he is comfortable and so am I. Horses are the same. The idea is to keep a close eye on them after clipping to see how they act. I also feel under the mane. If that place is cold--definitely blanket time. If warm, I will feel around and watch. Then there are the stinkers that will not leave a blanket on no matter how good it is--but we won't go there now.
default_rolleyes.gif

I am starting to get blankets cleaned and repaired now. We will be starting to clip the first ones about the middle of March. It takes us a while because we try to clip about 25 total horses and we can only do one or two at a time. Working daily (and that usually doesn't happen) it takes us about 2 to 3 weeks to get the winter woolies off everybody. After that, we only clip show horses and keep bridle paths and such done on the rest. The thing is, we have enough blankets to almost go around twice. About 1/2 are heavy and the others are lighter weight. That way, we can do light blanket, heavy blanket or a heavy with a light one to keep them warm. Lots of work tho cause we adjust every morning and night--adding and subtracting layers depending on temp. Real pain, but we just can't wait to see what is under the woolies each year--so we do the work. Keeping sharp blades is another issue--just got 25 sets sharpened last month.

Hope that helps.

Angie

Really the only ones i clip are th show horses, clipping is fun but its not THAT fun
default_wink.png

Sometime next week im clipping a small part of the necks so i can get a sweat on them. Sometimes in March i am going to head neck them. Then our first show is April 19th so i will have to clip 5 days before that show full body.

I blanket anytime they are in the stall with a heavy winter blanket, i do not blanket horses outside as its just a few of mine that they will jump on each other and get legs tangled up in the blankets or something along those lines.

Leeana

Thanks for all the replies! I'm still trying to decide weather or not to clip? He gets sweaty just standing around on the hot days and still hasn't started shedding. :DOH! Days are mostly going to be around the 70's this week but there is ONE night that they say will be in the mid 30's!
default_wacko.png

Do you think safety pinning a blanket onto to his sheet would work for the cold night? I'm thinking it would take a lot of safety pins? Maybe I'll just wait another week or two?

Thanks for all the advice!
default_aktion033.gif

Give him a mild trace clip with a long blade (an 8 or a 7F) to leave a lot of hair. Clip between his front legs, up his chest and the bottom of his neck and do his head (leave the ears fuzzy for the cold night). That way he can ventilate a bit (and believe me, it helps!
default_biggrin.png
) but he'll still have his big fuzzy natural blanket on for that cold night. A full trace clip would include his belly and a line across his shoulders instead of just between the front legs but the minimal clip is warmer. You'd really need a blanket for the full trace.

Leia

I don't clip unless I can consistantly go out in the middle of the night and not have my arm be cold. I pull up my sleeve and bare my arm, if my arm is cold, it's too cold for my babies. If I DO clip, I make sure they are not out there shivering at night. Here days might be warm but the nights are cool and many times windy. I do have blankets if needed!

To be safe you can buy a fitted horse blanket with velcro attachments.
default_yes.gif

This way if the weather does return to the cold side you have a back up plan..

Here in Arizona weve have had a few 90 degree days but night can still go to 50 degrees or so.

So I am very tempted to clip one myself,-- but I will have the fitted blanket handy if I do.

I will do a rough clip in April when I start lunging (so they won't sweat too much). After that, depending on the horse, I clip one week to one day before a show.

I'm gonna wait at least another week or two to clip him any more, when the weather is more stable. I already have his head and neck clipped, (he still has the warm fuzzy ears though) so he shouldn't get to hot. Thanks for the tips and advice, this is my first time clipping a mini so I don't have a clue.

Latest posts

Back