When advertising, how much do bloodlines mean to you?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Was just engaging in a converstation regarding the use of extended pedigrees when advertising your horses. When you see "champions" all over the place in the background, does that draw you to the advertistment more and get your attention? And what effect does that have on your purchase decision?

Personally, I dont' care a lot about bloodlines and who won what if it goes past the sire and dam. I think that's nice and can possibly enhance an ad, but it doesn't do much for me if I don't like the horse that is for sale. However I do know that some people will purchase a horse on bloodlines alone.

I've been studying all of my horse's extended bloodlines a lot lately and learing so much about their ancestors and actually I"M IMPRESSED and excited that I have such royalty in their backgrounds. I feel that is nice to have, and enhances the whole package, but wouldn't make my buying decision change if I didn't like the horse in the first place.

The pedigree alone does not make or break a purchase for me. First and foremost I must like the horse itself. Assuming I like the horse, I do look at the pedigree because (and maybe it's just my imagination playing tricks on me) I feel I can see some consistency in certain bloodlines. Like I said, maybe it's just me, but I swear I can tell a Roan Ranger son or daughter just by looking at their head and find that I'm always drawn back to that same "look" - whatever it is. Same for Buckeroo - there seems to be a certain "look" that the horses have, not all, but many of the offspring. It's not necessarily what I want, but I can see the similarity.

So, I do look at the bloodlines, it's just not the first thing I look at. If I see an ad that says "GMB" filly, etc. I'll look just to see what it is, but that doesn't guarantee I'm going to like what I see.

During the show season I saw a STUNNING stallion waiting to go in the ring and I couldn't take my eyes off him. So, I just had to go over say how beautiful he was and sure enough, the handler says "he's a Roan Ranger son" and I just said "of course he is!" LOL

When I bought our new herdsire, he isn't a Roan Ranger son, but he's from that bloodline and I think he has the "look" that seems to be typcial GMB. Again...maybe it's all in my head!!!
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
:

I DEFINITELY FIND THAT PEDIGREE CAN BE OF IMPORTANCE IN A BREEDING PROGRAM but anything past the third generation doesn't have much impact. And I do agree that you see a "look" within certain bloodlines that carry on through the offspring, many times. I wouldn't buy a horse just because it had a certain bloodlines but if it shows that "look" from bloodlines that I like then I consider the horse. If a bloodline is known to produce certain qualities, then it is very important in a breeding program. I think some people advertise on pedigree alone and many buyers can end up disappointed by this. Just MHO Mary

Was just engaging in a converstation regarding the use of extended pedigrees when advertising your horses. When you see "champions" all over the place in the background, does that draw you to the advertistment more and get your attention? And what effect does that have on your purchase decision?

Personally, I dont' care a lot about bloodlines and who won what if it goes past the sire and dam. I think that's nice and can possibly enhance an ad, but it doesn't do much for me if I don't like the horse that is for sale. However I do know that some people will purchase a horse on bloodlines alone.

I've been studying all of my horse's extended bloodlines a lot lately and learing so much about their ancestors and actually I"M IMPRESSED and excited that I have such royalty in their backgrounds. I feel that is nice to have, and enhances the whole package, but wouldn't make my buying decision change if I didn't like the horse in the first place.

With minis pedgree carries very little weight in my decisions. There are some breeds (and some lines within them) that tend to breed true to type but I have found this is seldom the case with mini's. Even then, if the horse whose bloodlines impressed you is anywhere beyond sire or dam the line is already heavily diluted, and you have even less chance of passing on those characteristics. Add to that that (as often as not) a pedigree full of "champions" is liable to contain color class, costume or be referring to a single class win or a top 10 as a foal... With mini advertising things seem to get stretched quite a bit (ie 1 blue ribbon at a fun show often qualifies the horse to be advertised as a "proven show horse" or something similar).

I never buy anything but the horse thats standing in front of me. I dont care who its ancestors were- or weren't.

Bloodlines is part of the total package. Conformation, temperment, bloodlines, and color are my order of preference. When advertising it depends on the market you are trying to attract. If you are selling a pet quality horse, then bloodlines should have very little value. But if you are selling a horse that would do well in the ring, be it halter or performance, bloodlines has a lot to do with who you attract. Some lines are known for their halter wins while others are known for their performance. And I think that if the said ancestors are on the horse's papers to be sold, then it should be included in the advertisement. Now, if you have to go 5 - 6 generations back to find that ancestor, then no, it probably has little to do with the said horse.

Interesting Pam that you brought up "that look".

I've got a BSL Rangers Blaze of Glory daughter, and you'd be able to pick her out of a crowd since you like Roan Ranger. Also, a Rowdy granddaughter, and a Sid's Rebel granddaughter and it is incredible resemblance that they all have that "look" of their bloodline. I'm loving all this research and comparing the pictures. This is fun. My Nick, who is a Blue Boy has also got that "look" ........of a different color version of Blue Boy

However, when you get to Dirty Holly who is Hemlock Brooks all over the place, there is no resemblance there at all.

Hi Marty!

Right now I am looking for a mare. A certain bloodline will get me to go to their website. However a good picture will get me to their site too.

Fairly little.

Everyone and their brother has "famous" in the pedigree, it seems.

More rare to me are the lesser-known lines that have been cultivated with correctness and proportion rather than name recognition.

I would be just as likely to use a stallion or buy a horse that had "unknowns" as long as the horse before me was what I wanted.

If I see the parents of this horse, particularly if this was purchased to be a breeding horse, it would make a lot of difference to me. Not necessarily "who" they are, but "what" they are if that makes sense.

Liz M.

Well the way l see it it must mean a lot to more people then let on because even on this board most always have to refer to the full name and out of so and so which usually is a known to most...

Marty,

Pedigree by itself isn't a big deal without a good example of a well conformed horse presented. As was posted above, Pedigree is part of the whole package.

I've also noticed that people are attracted to a particular "look" in a horse which is often because of pedigree....so once people establish that "look" that they like, they notice the bloodlines behind it.

MA

Pedigree IS important to me, but only if the horse himself / herself is what I like. I've said it before -- if you have to tell someone why a horse is great (a grandson of _______), then he's not all that great. But, if the horse is "right" then the bloodlines go in with the total package of what is good and of course, some bloodlines are known to be prepotent (sp? right word?) for certain characteristics.

In my own herd, I have "a lot" of Buckeroo and some Rowdy through my Reflection daughter and her own daughter as well (who's a combination of Rowdy x Buckeroo breeding). In general, the Buckeroo and Rowdy lined horses I have are the ones I'd hold out as "my best", but they were not picked based on paperwork.

Almost ironically, my best horse "on paper" is a gelding! My BTU son who I decided to geld since I already had two well bred, well shown stallions and you can't beat a gelding for all-around fun. That horse is Bacardi (Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold) and I love him as a gelding... he's probably my favorite among the favorites. But, as a gelding, he obviously will not be furthering the line. Still, I find it "neat" to have these "prestigiously bred" little horses
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I see a horse and know instantly if I know I want him/her or not. I have been buying show horses so conformation to me is important. I don't breed, so could care less about bloodlines. Doing this method, I have ended up with good bloodlines, including a pure falebella. Bloodlines is always something I rarely bother to ask. My first question now is "are their legs straight"?

Bloodlines might draw my attention, as we do like certain bloodlines more than others, but the horse has to sell itself.

The really interesting thing that happened to us this past year was that we have a drop dead gorgeous mare and I always attributed her good looks to the stallion line she was bred from, as he was a famous line stallion. It was not until she had a foal and I was trying to find pictures of this mare's dam for the buyers of the foal, that I realized she looked JUST LIKE HER GORGEOUS DAM, not the STALLION! Could have knocked me over with a feather. I had never heard of the dam's line until then. So, you might be drawn to a horse for one reason (bloodlines)and find out you have a great horse (great breeding) for another reason later on. :aktion033:

I saw Deb's stallion Galloping G All That Glows on the sale board and bought him in just hours. Something about him just said "I'm the one!" I never do that- I was totally shocked with myself. But he was perfect!!!
default_wub.png
:

Sometimes you never know what will be the thing that motivates you to buy.

Bloodlines is part of the total package. Conformation, temperment, bloodlines, and color are my order of preference. When advertising it depends on the market you are trying to attract. If you are selling a pet quality horse, then bloodlines should have very little value. But if you are selling a horse that would do well in the ring, be it halter or performance, bloodlines has a lot to do with who you attract. Some lines are known for their halter wins while others are known for their performance. And I think that if the said ancestors are on the horse's papers to be sold, then it should be included in the advertisement. Now, if you have to go 5 - 6 generations back to find that ancestor, then no, it probably has little to do with the said horse.
This is how I feel about it too...conformation first then temperament, bloodlines, color in that order. I have to say I definately have a "look" I like and find the same bloodlines usually have the look I am fond of.

Just a further thought. When it comes to advertising, even if the bloodlines aren't important to "you", if there is something noteworthy on the pedigree it really should be pointed out because it may catch just the right person's attention. That's really all advertising is about -- sparking interest.

After much learning and investigating for the years before I really bought my serious minis I fell for the Gold Melody Boy and Blue Boy lines. I just like the looks of those that are well bred and have that GMB look like my Treasure did. Somedays I wish I could find another similar to her...there's a big hole in the barn but I shall wait and see how fate plays it's hand with me.

When I went looking to buy my first mini , I was looking for temperment above anything else. My horses are pets, first and foremost. I wanted a friendly, easygoing, good natured horse that I could trust to be with my kids ( and hubby ) without fear of someone getting hurt. Secondly came " the look" as it has been called, it seems to be something that just catches your eye. And lastly was the color factor, I didn't want a whole herd of one color! Bloodlines were not a factor at all for me. Although after looking at the papers I did end up with some nice backgrounds !
default_yes.gif
:

Conformation comes first, bloodlines second for me. As far as bloodlines go, I have always liked Gold Melody Boy and than Rowdy, which is what my breeding program is based on. I do not look for the "Farm Name", I look for The Individual horse. That horse(s) who has accomplished something, i.e. Buckeroo (GMB Grandson) - 3 Time Nat'l Grand Champion halter and his get and grand-get have gone on to accomplish Nat'l Titles as well. Rowdy, another example, has sired many Nat'l Champions, and several of his get and grand-get have too. Its not "just" bloodlines, its individuals.

For us the proof of a great, not good but great stallion is the ability to reproduce himself in later generations. there are a few bloodlines that do reproduce themselves on a regular basis and those are worth thier weight in gold in any breeding program. To name just a few of those are the "Patton", "Rio", "Sir" and "Buckeroo" horses.

But with that said we will not buy a horse or keep a horse in the breeding program just for bloodline, but have on occasion bought an individual for a certain physical attribute such as a long refined neck for instance with the bloodlines that had proved themselves to produce that same refined necks or whatever.. After several breedings we evaluate the production to make sure we are getting what we are looking for. If not either we try something else (another bloodline)or remove that animal from the breeding herd.

We also agree that certain bloodlines are not as reliable as others. In some instances the bloodlines of particular horses and/or farms were not kept up like they should have been back in the days before DNA testing. This causes a lot of problems when trying to forecast what will come out of a certain bloodline. It does not take long though for a studious breeder to understand what bloodlines have those problems.

One other thing that came to mind is that some bloodlines work with other bloodlines and some do not. It is important to identify what does work with what and then concentratre on those bloodlines. Something else to consider is that some of the national champion horses of say 12 - 15 years ago would not win in the show ring today. As they were a completely different type horse in the industry at that time. Some though are timeless and continue to produce year after year. Things have evolved a lot already and continue to evolve rapidly each year with the competition getting tougher and tougher.

Our two and 1/2 cents worth

:saludando:

If it is a tightly line bred horse, with 4 or more comon ancestors, who have a look or action that I want then yes it holds importance to me. IF it is a mish mash of well known horses but not linebred then it really means nothing. Also anything past grandparents on a pedigree holds little or any influence on the horse that is resulted.

Lyn

Back