Wheels

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight star stables

Reaction score
So... I'm purchasing a cart! :bgrin

We need some help on the type of wheels. This is a show cart to be used in country pleasure AND roadster. This cart will also be used at Nationals.

We wanted open. With open, we could change from wood to metal tires for different ground textures. I also think they look better.

But... I heard that you MUST show in roadster class with a closed wheel cart.. Is this true? With a closed wheel we would be forced to use the one set of tires. Also, closed wheel make me nervous, I fear something could easily get caught in it.

So what do I need to do guys? :saludando:

If you are planning on doing roadster you will need the closed wheels.

*Sigh* O-well, no open wheeled carts for us then :eek:

Thank you very much Terri, much appreciated.
NO, NO. AMHA the rulebook states "wheel covers are permitted". AMHR (now this is the book from 2004 so hope it hasn't changed) "Vehicles: Bike (2 wheeled cart with stirrups and no basket). Road bikes with tire guards are mandatory beginning 2001" Tire guards are called closed wheels but they are actually and arch of the frame over the wheel. See picture -even though in the picture I have the basket on.

chipTulsaObstacle.jpg

My point was that what some called "closed" wheels are not what is above but a wheel that is "filled in". The wheel above is what the rulebook is referring to.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can go with an open wheeled cart, and simply change the wheel and add the "closed" bar when you do so. It isn't the arch that has to be there, but the bar that goes from the axel-end to the shaves, that "closes" the wheel. It is there to prevent you from running into another cart wheel, and locking wheels.

In AMHR you do AMHA you don't need closed wheel carts to show in roadster.

I didn't like the closed wheels myself but boy that would be a pain if you decide to show in roadster one day. However there are these roadster conversion kits now.

I really like my show cart, its bigger wheels so the horse pulls easier but it has the bar across the wheel. Use to AMHR made you have one over the wheel but now you don't need too.

56809redok-277x192.jpg

56809kjdriving-449x264-324x187.jpg

LOL sorry this is JMS Miniatures didn't realize RNR was logged in on my computer still lol.

Check out the new conversion kits available from Lymrick Farm. They are really cool. You can put them on or remove them so you can use your cart cover. I will be getting a set for sure if I decide to do roadster. I bought a beautiful open wheeled Jerald to show in this year.

http://www.lymrickfarm.com/mcginnis_003.htm

Russ and Don Maas of Firth, Neb., offer the best conversion kit you'll ever find.

I didn't like the closed wheels myself but boy that would be a pain if you decide to show in roadster one day. However there are these roadster conversion kits now.

I really like my show cart, its bigger wheels so the horse pulls easier but it has the bar across the wheel. Use to AMHR made you have one over the wheel but now you don't need too.

56809redok-277x192.jpg

LOL sorry this is JMS Miniatures didn't realize RNR was logged in on my computer still lol.

56809redok-277x192.jpg

I purchased the roadster conversion kit from Massey last year. It is ok and sturdy. But this year we purchased 2 kits from Lymrick farm They had an ad in the Journal. I like thier kit better. I can still use my cart cover. It is easy to install and it is pretty. All steel. And it is painted. The prices were the same. Lymrick farm patented thier roadster kit.

56809redok-277x192.jpg

56809redok-277x192.jpg

I purchased the roadster conversion kit from Mass :bgrin last year. It is ok and sturdy. But this year we purchased 2 kits from Lymrick farm They had an ad in the Journal. I like thier kit better. I can still use my cart cover. It is easy to install and it is pretty. All steel. And it is painted. The prices were the same. Lymrick farm patented thier roadster kit. :bgrin

56809redok-277x192.jpg

Closed wheel are more versatile, for showing in Roadster, etc. AND you don't have to buy another set of wheels to lug around and store
default_wink.png
:

Andrea

Back