wheelbarrow or muck bucket w cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartofwisdom

Reaction score
Which do you prefer wheelbarrow or muck bucket w cart?

I need to switch because my plastic wheelbarrow is horrid. I have to go down a rugged hill and long way to dump it. My wheel barrow has legs in the front they make it very difficult to to get down the hill or over the bumps.

I found the wheelbarrow that might work online for 34.00

34972f.jpg

This bucket empties with the pull of a strap.

c-rcd%20on%20cart.jpg

Thanks.

I find that a wheelbarrow tips over too easily!

I bought this muck cart at Tractor Supply a couple of years ago and absolutely love it! Very stable and it folds up for storage if need be.

2225266-60192.jpg

For years I had the classic wheel barrow with one wheel in the front. THEN, I found a wonderful Rubbermaid wheel barrow with solid rubber wheels, kind of like the wheels on a nice easy entry cart(but these were solid. Had two BIG wheels that went over any terrain, bumpy, rocky or anything, and a nice square handle instead of two handles.. It was a big one not like the crappy little garden wheel barrows from Rubbermaid. I could even handle it with one hand it was so balanced. But it broke and I can not find another one except one on line that is a very pricey. So, I settled for a bright yellow construction big wheel barrow that had two wheels in the front. It has two handles like the standard wheel barrow. It is ok, but has tires that go flat at the worst times. Always get a wheel barrow with two wheels, otherwise a horse will scratch himself on it when it is full and knock it over, then the mucking is double!

I too use the big Rubbermaid cart. I also have a wheelbarrow and prefer the Rubbermaid. I don't want anything that has to be lifted and that you have to do with the muck bucket.

I've found the cart at all the farm supply stores and ocasionally at Walmart. They are not cheap but I've had mine since '93 and still going strong. I haul anything I can get in it or balance aross it.

Big rubbermaid cart here also..I love it. It has big wheels and rolls sooooooo easy over any terrain.
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Editing to say we also have a muck bucket on cart like you show but don't use it for mucking we use it take the bucket off and use the cart to carry heavy bales of hay. :lol: and with the bucket I pick up walnuts to take to the zoo for the bears.. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
If I were choosing between the ones you showed, I'd choose the muck bucket with cart-the other one is not going to hold much, and like other single-front-wheeled barrows, will be VERY tippy.

I have a "Ranch Cart", both a large one with bike-type wheels, and a smaller one with wider-treaded but smaller diameter wheels that was given to me by a friend when she 'got out of' horse ownership. Have had the larger one for about 13-15 years, have used it daily for all sorts of things, including moving dirt and crusher fines, and it is still in near-perfect condition! These have two wheels, and are real 'workhorses'; they are not cheap, but will save your back and your disposition over a regular wheelbarrow in a myriad of ways! I used standard wheelbarrows for many years, and HATED them-bought little metal 'garden carts' from Sears when I discovered them-but they rusted out, and the wheels didn't hold up well. THEN, I discovered the 'ranch carts', and thank goodness! They are of a poly composite of some sort, good and thick, but not heavy-they dump well, and won't jerk you over with them, or fall sideways when you are pushing them, as will a regular wheelbarrow-and, you aren't 'supporting' as much of the weight of the load as you are with a regular wheelbarrow. Their only drawback is that they will tip straight forward if too much of the weight of the load is toward the front. I have seen them in some of the livestock supply catalogs I get, on occasion--I got mine at a big area feed/western store-have had it since before the Rubbermaid brand even appeared-but they appear similar in application.

We prefer the muck bucket on wheeled cart for picking up the manure. We only have about 2/3rds of a muck bucket full every day though. We pull it out into the pasture & dump it in our manure pile which we remove every spring. This pile is not that far away though. It is easier for us to maneuver this cart in & out of the stalls & through our narrow barn isle................... I will tell you though that you need to get a good one. Pulling the cart over uneven ground will loosen the screws & it will come apart. We bought what we thought was a good one & it still did that. Lee put it back together & wired the bottom rods together to give it more stability.... So if you buy a new one I suggest wiring the bottom rods wrapping in & out to each one from the get go.

We use the Rubbermaid cart......the BIG size. They are great for situations like you described and they come in different sizes.

MA

I had to give up on muck buckets and found one of the bigger Rubbermaid wheelbarrows. It has 2 solid bicycle tires (one on each side) instead of right in front. It has 2 feet that hold it up when sitting still and a square handle. I got mine at Home Depot for $99. It is more stable than the typical wheelbarrow and will fit through all of my gates so I can just wheel it in and clean stalls. With 19 horses, I fill it once a day.

Definately rubbermaid. Yes it is spendy but the convenience of having a stable cart to haul not only manure but bags of grain, bales of heavy hay and anything else is invaluable. I have one of the fold up canvas types in my horse trailer for going to shows. Saves room in the tackroom and perfect size for cleaning a stall at shows.

Queen of POOP at your service........VVAAAARRRRRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's my poop-mobile. It's an old mower that Jerry rebuilt for me. He fixed up the engine for me and I drive like a crazy person around here with it. I have this little bitty dumping trailer that you just pull the stick and it dumps into the pile for me. They have them at Lowe's and Home Depot.

When you get old and your bones get brittle

you're not in shape, or fit as a fiddle,

that wheelbarrow you push just gets too hard,

must be another way to clean the barnyard.

So I tells the man that poops getting heavy,

don't need much, not a SUV or a chevy,

just need a little something to help a mommy out

that I don't have to push and shove through the mud and snow all about.

So the man thinks and thinks and goes to looking around-

behind that garage of junk that he's pack ratted and old stuff he's found.

He gets an old mower to work and now it will cut the grass,

and finds a little dumping trailer back there and that will save my sore a____!

Then he tightened, he sharpened, and drilled, and the lug nuts went flying;

he thought surely this will keep her from complaining and crying!

Out came some big tires to get through the mud and you should see those big wheels-

I've got the fasted and coolest of all POOPMOBILES!

I race against the 4 wheelers and bicycles sometimes,

but they can't beat my fast engine and I can turn it on a dime.

I've got a little basket on it to hold my drink

now that was pure genius, don't you think?

I clean the stalls using it every day,

and pickup poopy in paddocks while I watch the horses at play;

then I go fast and race it up the hills and speed back down them too,

this mommy loves her poopmobile,

yes I really do!

Poopwagon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty--you are pip! Who else would make a rhyming ditty about a poopmobile?! :bgrin

Actually, I use a wheelbarrow and a regular muck bucket (no wheels). Understandably, my back is OK and I can lift things, so others may not be able to work with what I do.

I take the muck bucket out for quick dry lot poop pickups, or quickies in the stall. This is especially for the mornings before I go to work. Then I take it back into the barn and dump into the wheelbarrow (this is in the barn aisleway so it doesn't get wet, and since it's shady in there, not much for flies either). Fast and easy and I don't have to work on maneuvering the wheelbarrow around all of the fencing. When the wheelbarrow gets full, then (usually) my husband wheels it out and dumps it in the manure pile.

Have dragged the muck bucket like a sled sometimes too when the path to the manure pile hadn't gotten plowed of snow yet.

For full stall stripping, then it's the wheelbarrow as it may take a couple loads per stall to get it all out. And on the weekends when I have the time (if it's not snowing, raining etc.), then the wheelbarrow goes out into the dry lot to put the poop in there (with SO much help from the horses at the same time
default_wink.png
: ).

A tried and true wheelbarrow for me! The metal kind with wooden handles. Dad gave it to us when we first moved on the farm 16 years ago and altho is ready to be replaced, I still use it ...it's a Sears brand.

Marty,

I LOVE your little trailer! We have a 4-Wheeler with a horrid rickity trailer behind it. The trailer has GOT to GO. Do you know approx. how much the trailers at Lowe's or Home Depot are going for?????

MA

I have a big, two-wheeled wheelbarrow that works great. But Marty, YOUR POOPMOBILE is the greatest!! :aktion033: I want one of those! I can just imagine you zooming around in it (and leave it to you to have it decorated, lol!) :bgrin

MA, I think you can get one of the little dump trailers for around $100 or so. I have one of those but Hubby took it to make a weed sprayer out of. :no: I pulled it behind our smaller ATV (until it died) but I still had to use a muck bucket.

My idle mucking machine is a Polaris Ranger with a dump bed. :aktion033: :aktion033:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
: Hey.....it's only about $6K.

I LOVE to use these..we have two..much easier than the BIG double tire wheelbarrow..

CART

A skid steer, actually mine is a Case so its called a uniloader but they are all the same. Its a handy tool to have around and will do a multitude of tasks around the farm. From poop to gravel in the drive to light excavation and leveling out the ground. It was a investment but well worth the cost.

A skid steer, actually mine is a Case so its called a uniloader but they are all the same. Its a handy tool to have around and will do a multitude of tasks around the farm. From poop to gravel in the drive to light excavation and leveling out the ground. It was a investment but well worth the cost.

What about a Bobcat?! Now, I want one of those!
default_yes.gif
:

Latest posts

Back