wheelbarrow or muck bucket w cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A skid steer, actually mine is a Case so its called a uniloader but they are all the same. Its a handy tool to have around and will do a multitude of tasks around the farm. From poop to gravel in the drive to light excavation and leveling out the ground. It was a investment but well worth the cost.

What about a Bobcat?! Now, I want one of those!
default_yes.gif
:
I told hubby I either want a BIG vaccum from the ceilings or a converter belt..or kinda like the self cleaning cat litter boxes.. :new_shocked:
default_wink.png
:

Truthfully, we use neither now that we have a manure spreader (an old Milbrook model for $100)which we hook up to the tractor and drive right down the barn aisle way or drive right into the run in sheds. This is really the way to go if you have the equipment! WE just shovel right into the spreader. But knowing that it took me almost 25 years before I got one - I prefer a good contractor's wheelbarrow - I wouldn't use the one pictured because if you need to stop, "muck" can fall out as you have to lay it on the ground. The biggest problem with a wheelbarrow if making sure you load your manure in so the load is balanced so you don't tip over.

I have used the muck carts but don't like using them because you need to lift the bucket out to pour out the contents and if you don't have a bad back you can develop one pretty quickly with this method especially if you are also cleaning big horses' stalls too. That said I do love the cart or a garden cart with 4 wheels for moving hay, shavings and putting my full and empty feed buckets in to make the rounds.

Another thing we also use is to get a heavy duty wheelbarrow that we got at a tag sale. We removed the barrow part (then I spray painted it and fill it with dirt and flowers for a small enclosed garden) and then my husband screwed wood fence slats (2x1s work also) onto a frame (looks like a deck chair without legs or arms)= he has also used an old manager to make the"chair" and then screwed this onto the wheel part of the wheelbarrow (easiest if the wheelbarrow has a wood not metal frame). Now I can easily load 4 - 50 lb bales of hay and easily push it down the alley way or even out to dry lots )or winter pastures) without having to make too many trips back for hay as we have 26 horses.

Edited to say that the "chair" is facing whoever is pushing to hold the hay from slipping off the end. Wgat I really want now is a bobcat!

Last edited by a moderator:
we have 3 of the rubbermaid barrels for mucking and hauling and l wouldn't be without them now that there here. a little pricey at 300 but they do just everything go anywhere in mudd or snow haul tons of unrelated horsie stuff and find them the best for a big or small job.

Marty, Your poopmobile is too cute! And I love the poem. Thats for the laugh.

I found the Rubbermaid wheelbarrow

MRCP1272.JPG

I fel like a dummy I never thought of leaving the wheelbarrow outside the paddock. THat will save most of my bumpy hill problems. I can just carry the bucket to the wheelbarrow. Duuuh.
default_wacko.png
:

Sharon I never heard of a manure spreader. I'm reeading up on them now--GREAT idea- no compost, less work. I have rider lawnmower with trailor so I'm sure it could pull it- going on my wish list.

I'm so thrilled to have access to all of you with poo experience.
default_wink.png
:

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back