Has anyone used a hitch-cart?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiologyBrain

Reaction score
The minis have a forecart that I'm using right now. I have 2 young, but heavy, children who'd really love to ride in the cart with me. The biggest problem is that the bench seat on the forecart is just wide enough for me and one child. I found some 'hitch carts' for sale online that are basically the basket & seat of another cart hitched to the axle of the front cart. (See photos here http://www.nwminitack.com/cart_hitch.html)

Since the forecart is designed to pull something else behind it, I was wondering if adding a hitch cart (or even a small lawn mower wagon) would be feasible for a single mini to pull a 150# adult (in the forecart) and 60# & 45# children (in a hitch cart/wagon). If I'd need a team for the extra horsepower, would having another 2-wheeled cart/wagon behind stabilize the forecart enough to keep it from pulling down on their necks/collars? I have a pole for the forecart, but I know it's not advisable to use a 2-wheeled cart for a team.

1) Has anyone ever used a hitch cart or wagon behind their regular 2-wheeled cart/forecart?

2) If this is a viable option, would it be best to use both minis to pull over 300#s?

3) if properly adjusted, would the addition of the hitch cart/wagon eliminate the undesirable pressure/bad balance of a 2-wheeled cart pulled by a team/pole?

Edited to add: I'd only do this once the boys are more conditioned and even then I'd try to keep them on fairly level & smooth terrain.

Also edited to add another link showing the hitch cart itself: http://www.gscart.com/trailcart.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I have driven a cart with a 'trailer' (second cart body) behind it once, long ago. It belonged to a friend and she drove it hitched to a pair of Mini size POAs. I have pix somewhere. If who knows where.

Because the trailer was hitched to the cart's axle I would say no--having it hitched on the back did not/would not change the balance. It also would not make the front cart any more stable in terms of the tip factor of driving a pair on a two wheel cart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back