Whats Your Favorite???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Geldings the most, Studs second and mares last. I love mares but havent exactly had the chance to work with one for an extended period of time like I have with the boys
default_smile.png

I happen to love stallions! I love the extra attitide they have but they are still the sweetes things....until they get close to one another. LOL Hubby has a stallion that he drives and he is always a gentleman in parades or wherever he is when in harness. I think stallions with naturally good dispsitions are truly a joy...but don't get one with a nasty disposition. Many mini stallions are noted for their sweet temperments but I have seen a few that are little demons. Start them out young and train them right and you just might think you have a gelding instead. Mary

Well I love stallions. They love to show off. But when they see mares or other stallions they don't like they go a little crazy. So here's my order.

1. Geldings (if they aren't the lazy type)

2. Stallions

3. Mares (Sorry I've known some moody mares.)

1. Stallions

2. Geldings

3. Mares

Again it all depends on the horse itself my most prized mini is a mare but not all mares are great and mares seem to get washed up after a few years of showing whereas A gelding can show forever and a stallion only gets better in time JMO ~Jessica

We have a lot of all three, but the geldings definitely win out. When we talk about downsizing, the stallions would usully be the first on our list and then the mares and then our "boys". Of course that would be a bit intermixed, but if we had to cut our herd in half, we would probably be left with only one stallion, about 1/3 to 1/2 would be mares and the rest geldings. We do pony ad cart rides and they are almost always dependable and lovable and have no hormone issues--ever.

ps: just told hubby what I was responding to and he said "geldings--no doubt" :bgrin

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting... in every other breed in the world stallions come last. Wonder why its different in minis?

I believe a big part of it is while many people may LOVE stallions, owning one or more big studs isn't as EASY as having one or more Miniature stallions. Add to that since geldings aren't exactly valued in Miniatures as much as they are in most other breeds, well...
default_wacko.png
:

Mares! Hands down Mares! I have both big and small horses, and out of All my horses, I have only 4 boys. 3 geldings and one maybe soon to be gelding.

The rest are All mares, they make the Best teaching mounts, and if they love you, they Love you. I find them to be some of the smartest, and most willing to give as well.

Stallions annoy me, it's all about them, and that gets old.

I love my geldings though, and two of them will never leave here.

soo..

Mares!

Geldings

Stallions

Nathan, Yes mini ppl are more prone to keeping stallions as they find a pocket rocket fun. Having had my share of both, and having Very Very Good stallions, I still prefer my mares.

(And by good I'm talking a stallion who I could point my finger at and say "No" and he would stop even making noise at anything under saddle or on the ground & he's a 16.2 paint stallion!)

My friend has had several Andalusian stallions, I LOVE them. They are a LOT of horse, and stallions are definitely not for the novice horseman. Mini stallions are much easier to handle, and thus more people can be exposed to how wonderful (well tempered) stallions can be.

Andrea

I like a stallion but only as a show horse, I don't like having them around just to have a stallion. I love my geldings and not sure why most think they are lazy with no spark, mine are sometimes more up than my stallions. Did I say I love my geldings, well I think they are the best. No they can't reproduce, but there are tons of stallions and mares that shouldn't reproduce either, at least the geldings are't contributing to over population of miniature horses. I trust my geldings with kids, I trust my geldings with my mares, I trust my geldings with my young horses, they are just great all around baby sitters that also happen to be wonderful show horses. I have two geldings loaned out this year to youth that are new to showing. My geldings know what they are doing so they are teaching now. Can't do that with a stallion. I do love my girls too, but they still aren't like my geldings. I have a stallion for sale now, he is beautiful, great pedigree, fantastic color, great disposition, but if he isn't sold by the time it gets cooler weather, he will be gelded and I will find him a wonderful home where he can be loved, very hard to do with a stallion, can't give them to kids to learn with.

So my choice hands down, no question are Geldings, They are the best.

I have always liked stallions best, even when we had Morgans & no Minis. For showing, stallions are my absolute first choice. Having said that, let me add that just because I like stallions the best, that doesn't mean that we have more stallions than anything else. I'm not going to keep all our colts intact just for the sake of having stallions around!

I do love geldings and mares too and we have quite a number of both. If I had to pick my favorite horse out of our current herd, it would probably be one of the fillies. Lass is momma's girl for sure.
default_wub.png
:

Geldings!!! All the way, hands down, no question about it I love love love the geldings!!!

In mini's I don;t mind handling a well behaved stallion but in general you can keep them. They can be fun now and then, but the edge they have that can be fun to deal with does not outweigh the management issue for me in the least little bit. In full sized horses I want nothing to do with them at all.

Mares are OK. I love the one I have now, but they are kind of on a case by case basis. I just don't "bond" with them the way i do with the geldings.

So for me it is

1. GELDINGS!!!

<big gap>

2. Mares

3. Stallions

I just want to chime in also about "lazy" geldings. I wouldn't call any of mine, except for one, lazy... the one I would call lazy was just as lazy as a stallion and he was a stallion for me until the age of 5yo. Gelding doesn't make them lazy at all. The only difference I can see in them after they become geldings is they're not always thinking about mares and can then concentrate more on what their person wants them to do. Accross the board, I've found my geldings are more affectionate and more people oriented than my stallions and mares. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. However, if it comes down to who's going to be the most fun, that would be my geldings.

Well I am going to be different then some here and say that I dont believe geldings are lazy, slow or for the beginner.

I have seen several AMAZING geldings that have oomph, presence, and tons of life to them

I am not sure one can truly ever outgrow geldings after all in the large horse world many of the top competitors in both jumpers, hunters, WP and I am sure other western things ( i dont know much about those) that geldings are still highly sought after by even the most experienced of riders. HOwever it is that thinking IMO that keeps the geldings in this breed at the bottom of the barrel so to speak and undesirable- it is something we can really learn from the big horse world on again JMO

in fact every stallion I have owned to date has been quite, even tempered and often times more dependable disposition wise then my mares or geldings. For me it is a prerequsite for my stallions

I really have no preference as it depends on the horse

I can't pick one, it's too hard for me to generalize. I've had some awesome mares that did everything from children's birthday parties to winning National Championships, along with winning my heart. My geldings have always been energetic, sweet-tempered, and "up for anything", and great with kids. My stallions have had that extra spark but enjoyed cuddling too.

For me, each individual horse has its own attractions, I just can't choose one gender over another, I guess I'd have to say "ALL".
default_yes.gif
:

I just want to chime in also about "lazy" geldings. I wouldn't call any of mine, except for one, lazy... the one I would call lazy was just as lazy as a stallion and he was a stallion for me until the age of 5yo. Gelding doesn't make them lazy at all. The only difference I can see in them after they become geldings is they're not always thinking about mares and can then concentrate more on what their person wants them to do. Accross the board, I've found my geldings are more affectionate and more people oriented than my stallions and mares. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. However, if it comes down to who's going to be the most fun, that would be my geldings.
I did not mean ALL geldings are lazy, Just the ones I have been around for the most part, I just like Stallions & Mares better, I love geldings too
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

When I had big horses it was:

geldings

mares

stallions

Now we have only minis and with my particular horses :

stallions

mares

geldings