Whats Your Favorite???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But they are least on my list because I breed minis & geldings don't have much puporse here
I breed too, but have a totally diferent view. I couldn't WAIT until we had a colt born here that I could make "my own", so that he will become my show gelding...to show "the world" how great his Dad is.

I figure that gelding an outstanding colt, is the best way to have people take notice and see what you are producing. I also show my mares when they are available, so I guess they are also my favorites.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :bgrin My stallion, yes, I love him...but the TRUE ambassitors of any breed is usually the geldings. Youth horses extrodinare...
default_wub.png
: and our Youth, is where the future lies, folks!
default_yes.gif
:

"Stallions are from Mars, Mares are from Venus, Geldings are from Heaven"
default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:

Yes, Sue C you are absolutely RIGHT... a mini farm can benefit HUGELY from retaining some nice show geldings and promoting them... a nice colt makes a really competitive gelding, and the geldings are SO easy to train and show and perform with... so a winning gelding with your farm name out of your promoted stallion is EXACTLY where breeders need to be thinking about! Lots of big farms have done this with success!

Andrea

1. MARES!!!!!!! ( am I the only one who put the girlies first?)

I love my mares! mares are my favorites!!!! My first horse was a mare, so was my first mini. I love that saying on Jill's website, Our souls are intwined, my horses and mine. I feel that way towards my mares, especially Ghost (avatar). I feel like we're just two halves of the same soul.
default_wub.png
:

2. Geldings.
default_wub.png
: I love the whole "A girl and her boy" relationship. They are so willing and forgiving. I also had wanted to raise a baby to become my show gelding, and that's what my Charm is, next year we'll hit the show ring.

3. Stallions. I have met the most amazing stallions, and I really do love them. But the reason I put them last is because of ....well......here's one way Bob Avila put it that sums it up pretty nice......

"I'd rather have a good stud than anything in the world. A good one will give you everything. He'll have a little more guts and a little more heart than a mare or gelding. That said, I'd rather have the flu than have a bad stud. It's not fun, and can be downright dangerous." -- So You Wanna Own A Stallion, Horse & Rider January 2005.

I've never owned a gelding for more than a couple of months and they were just colts that I gelded and sold so I can't much about them. I'm still waiting for the perfect colt to come along that I can geld and show forever
default_wub.png
:

I can't choose between mares and stallions...and have a couple of stallions that I would die for....they are the loves of my life
default_yes.gif
: Then i have another couple that I love to death but are stinkers. Of course life is never boring with them! But I also have mares that I would die for...they've been with me since birth and they'll be with me til death. Then I have a couple of mares that are complete stinkers....some worse than my stallions I think! I love ALL of my horses and I have a hard time selling any of them when I have to... no matter how many times they've taken down cattle panelling or made me run a marathon to catch them in my 20+ acre pasture
default_rolleyes.gif
: And yes, that IS is a sight to see!!! :bgrin

Mares, because I think they are braver and work harder

Geldings because they are sweet

Stallions, because just cant deal wtih the hormones.

1. MARES!!!!!!! ( am I the only one who put the girlies first?)

I love my mares! mares are my favorites!!!! My first horse was a mare, so was my first mini. I love that saying on Jill's website, Our souls are intwined, my horses and mine. I feel that way towards my mares, especially Ghost (avatar). I feel like we're just two halves of the same soul.
default_wub.png
:

2. Geldings.
default_wub.png
: I love the whole "A girl and her boy" relationship. They are so willing and forgiving. I also had wanted to raise a baby to become my show gelding, and that's what my Charm is, next year we'll hit the show ring.

3. Stallions. I have met the most amazing stallions, and I really do love them. But the reason I put them last is because of ....well......here's one way Bob Avila put it that sums it up pretty nice......

"I'd rather have a good stud than anything in the world. A good one will give you everything. He'll have a little more guts and a little more heart than a mare or gelding. That said, I'd rather have the flu than have a bad stud. It's not fun, and can be downright dangerous." -- So You Wanna Own A Stallion, Horse & Rider January 2005.
Nope! You are not alone, At first I said my favorite was mares, Then I changed it to stallions, No I am changing it FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!!!

#1 Mares- I LOVE my girlies & they work the hardest & put the most heart in to it
default_wub.png
:

#2 Stallions

#3 geldings

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding geldings again, they are like I said my favorite. However, from the standpoint of a breeder, which is new to me, one potential problem is that those are the ones I get most attached to as individuals and they are also the ones that won't help with my goals of breeding. I can see a point in time where I will have 15 geldings I love too much to part with... but, I guess that's not the worst problem on earth to have.

Back