What's the difference?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
I'm a youth and I will be showing my gelding in a driving class but I only want to do one with him. I've tried to find the difference between single pleasure driving and classic pleasure driving but I can't seem to find it. I want to know which one suites my horse better. Someone told me they thought it was that pleasure was the horse looking for pleasurable to drive and has a low neck and classic the horse has a higher up neck? Please help!

A single pleasure horse has the highest neck set and leg action of the three AMHA driving division, followed by Country Pleasure, and then Classic has the lowest neck set and leg action. Here is a photo of our Single Pleasure horse, Brumby:

WR-Brumby-2008-World-Drivin.jpg

Here is a Country Pleasure horse:

Fame5_small.jpg

Here is a Classic Pleasure horse, although he could have his head/neck a bit lower:

WR-Monet-Driving-450.jpg

These are the basic differences between the three, there are more factors involved such as knee/hock action, etc. There is actually a fourth division, Park, which is the most extreme. Brumby, the first horse shown also shows in Park at times and is considered a Park/Single Pleasure horse. Not all single pleasure horses are Park horses. Park movement is very animated with high knee and hock action (snapping knees) and the highest headset. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now I'm confused. In the April/May issue of the Miniature Horse World on page 20 it shows the Country Pleasure as having the lowest headset and leg action.

Single pleasure horses have the highest knee and hock action, and highest head set. They should also have a bit more fire and pizzazz than Country Pleasure. A little hotter.

Country Pleasure horses have a nice head set, with a nice arch. Typically more of a sweeping trot than the up and down of an Open/Single Pleasure horse. Not a "deadhead", but less spark than Single pleasure horses. They should be "A Pleasure to drive."

Classic/Western horses have very low, quiet gaits. Very little knee/hock action. The poll shouldn't be any higher than 3" over the withers, so a very low head set, but not below the withers. A gentle drive.

I consider the Single Pleasure horses to be comparable to a Saddlebred, Arabian, etc. (Obviously in the miniature frame)

Country pleasure is a nice Morgan Horse

Classic/Western drivers are the Quarter Horses - nice and quiet.

This is my driving gelding. So based on his action and head set would you say he should be in Classic?

DSCN1809.jpg

Thanks.

Yes, I would pick that for your horse. As he is collected and his nose comes in, his head will drop some- and appears he has a pretty flat gait.

Back