Whats the best way to interduce a 4 moth old colt to the herd???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mylilgirls

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am trying to get the rescues settled in among the others. The older Mare ( she is not his mother ) is already in with them, and things are fine. Now for the 4 month old, for the most part in a 1/2 hour time things are fine, But my 2 mares get funky with him and it ends up, him running and them right on his but he even has kick at him & they still run after him, his ears are pined and looks scared to death. Early today my one mare backed up to him, stright at his but ( he was just eating grass and had no clue ) and If I had not yelled at her she would have kicked him, My to mares are in the stalls for 4 hours moring and 4 hours in the evening because they are to fat ( both are 3 years old ), so that is his only free time in the field, Is there a way to have him join safely? Other wise he is stalled next to the common area in the barn were every one can look smell & touch, but cant hert him. I am going to make him a small area beside ther field but one day want them all together. As for the mare that came with him & my other pony, they dont pay him no mind & the mares to not act up on them eather... Any ideas that may have worked for you would be great.

Have a good one

If it was my colt I wouldn't be taking those chances. He's just a little baby and no need of him being terrorized by the bossy mares like that. He could really be seriously hurt and its not good for him and he'll probably get ulcers over it.

Under normal circumstances I have a pretty peaceful herd that gets along and is quiet. However sometimes someone will be a snot and that is when will pull that horse out and separate. I have many fields to choose from and don't believe in putting certain horses together if I know a problem will arise. They may get along someday but it if were me, for now, I'd remove him and put him in another field. If you don't have one, don't be stingy on size..... build one big enough for him to really move and run and let off his steam. If there is anyone he does like that is kind to him, add that horse so he won't be alone. Why not just put him with the mare and the pony he came from? My humble opinion is not to overstall any horse too much especially a growing baby. Good luck and best wishes.

This is not something I would be doing at all, my youngsters are always separate form the mares.

I would not be trying to put a 4 month old colt in with the older girls that way. I would keep him separate--it is safer for him, plus he can have the extra feed that he needs.

I am not taken chances, He was only in with them for a 1/2 hour 1 time, while BF & I we right there watching every move, They groomed one another and seemed good. I am not letting them together at all now, he gets the 3/4 of acre field to his self 4 hours am 4 hours evening, out side of that we have him on a lead and let him get good grass, Bf has bin working on his area & changing the stalls around ( again for me ).

Main area is 3/4 of acre stalls are 12X24, everyone can also go into a common area in the barn when not in a stall.

His stall is 12X24 and the out side area I want to make for him ( so he can be right near the others ) 50 feet by 40 feet and he would have run of the 12 foot wide 60 foot hall way in the barn, is that enough space for him for now? Was planing on it being a dry lot in time.

So he is apart from my mares, all but the one he came with is out in the field with him after she eats ONLY... This little guy was rescued from a herd of 37 and 3 were studs 6 were only months old, Well they are all being rescued.

I will stick to keeping him separated from them, I just feel bad he was in with so many others & now has none.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be trying to put a 4 month old colt in with the older girls that way. I would keep him separate--it is safer for him, plus he can have the extra feed that he needs.
I am not, Just wanted some ideas on how to be able to down the road. Every one is gets feed in there own stalls 2 times a day & the 2 fatties are locked in for 4 hours, The 4 month old gets feed 5 times a day ( little bit at time ) along with electrolites, good hay at all times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted some ideas on how to be able to down the road.

There is no way of knowing this. Sometimes everyone will get along in one field like one big happy family and other times not at all so don't count on it. So that is why I suggested you cover your bases now by building separate pastures. You can't ever have enough separate fields. My colt geldings were in with the mares only because they were born here and their mothers were part of the original herd so they were always accepted out there. But once they decided to play ruff and annoy the mares, trouble started and out they went to another field of their own. Every situation is different. You can get your little guy gelded soon and leave him separated with a friend. When he has grown, you can attempt to intergrate him with the others but its a crap shoot of how it will turn out. Build another field now, cross fence and separate, and you'll be on the right track and no worries.

Thank You Marty - 6 more boards and his area is all done & ready for him,

His stall is 12X24 and the out side area is 50 feet by 40 feet and he also has run of the 12 foot wide 60 foot hall way in the barn, I will also let him run in the larger field while the meanies are in there stalls,

I had no clue I was getting them untill the night before they came, so I had to make room fast, in less then a week I will have all of the work done & everyone safe & happy

Thanks again

Latest posts

Back