What's in Your First Aid Kit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyFriendFlicker

Reaction score
I put together a basic horse first aid kit the other night (a month too late) and know I'm missing some useful items....what else would you add?

4 rolls of Vetrap

large bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide

4"x4" dressings

5"x9" dressings

antibiotic ointment tube

Wonder Dust

digital thermometer

ice packs (in the house)

epsom salts

scissors

duct tape (to help hold on uncooperative bandages

...and I think I'm leaving out a few things I bought.
default_wacko.png

lol, my vet always say to get a something that calms everyone down. LOL, he started to laugh and said one guy told him that he always has a 6-pack somewhere..LOL

lol, my vet always say to get a something that calms everyone down. LOL, he started to laugh and said one guy told him that he always has a 6-pack somewhere..LOL
LOL!!! I do keep Rescue Remedy around at all times. It's in the house, but the walk isn't very far. What sort of stuff did the vet actually have in mind?

Well it isn't in my first aid kit but it hangs right inside the door of each barn, and that is my bolt cutter, and we have it handy to cut cattle panels etc.

Comes in extremely handy and we also carry one in our horse trailer.

I was home alone one day, looked out and had a horse stuck in the fence, I was able to cut a pipe the size of my pinky with great ease, and FAST and got the horse out. The leverage of it is fantastic!!!! I would never be strong enough to do anything like that with out it.

I would NEVER be without one.
default_yes.gif

heart k ranch ...thats great

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it isn't in my first aid kit but it hangs right inside the door of each barn, and that is my fence cutter. I can't remember the "name of it" but it looks like those big bolt cutter thingers and we have it handy to cut cattle panels etc.
"fence tool" is the name I've always heard used. Great idea. Ours are hanging in a easy to reach spot as well!

Wow my first aid kit is huge , lets see if I can remember some of what is in it.

SCHREINERS, my A #1 horse item.

Iodine,

plastic gloves for human,

small diapers, or maxi pads

coton balls,

alcohol,

rubber bands,

tweezers,

scalple,

vaseline,

ky jelly,

aspirin for ME< lol

thermometer

and so much mor ei cant think of,

Well he always tells me to have a tetus, batamine, and pencillion handy. Then he needles and stuff like that.

Clippers is a big one. When a horse gets a cut the vet usually wants to area to be cleaned.

gausge (sp).

cotton

iodine scrub

and if I remember anything else I'll add it..

I'll have to get the name of it...

It is just a bolt cutter.

Besides what you already have listed I also have My vets number right on the kit, incase I am not here and someone else need s to call them out for me. I have banamine, mylanta, pepto, a small tube from my vet for a mini size foal/weanling, not all the vets have a tube that small on their trucks, I would hate to have a horse that had to be tubed and have the vet not have the correct equipment (happened a few years back), I also have paste probios, paste electrolytes, I think that's pretty much the major things, Beyond the various size syringes and needles ( I no longer give banamine orally, had a mare develope sores in her mouth).

The number one medical supply in my kit is Equaide.

I would never be without it. After the damage my paint mare did to her leg, It was a blessing!

I'll have to get the name of it...
It is just a bolt cutter.
Oh....I thought you meant these:

6137384.jpg

But, we have bolt cutters, too. They're hanging in the shop, but are still easy enough access. In our case, I'm not sure where we have that would need them, except for the roping arena...maybe. But, those pipes are huge...I don't think any are small enough to cut without a grinder.

Some of these suggestions are stuff I have, others are quickly getting added to my shopping list. Thank you all!!

Bolt_cutters_animated.gif

Here it is.....love them work great. The way they are made the leverage is great....a 5 year old could cut a cattle panel etc with these.

Here it is.....love them work great. The way they are made the leverage is great....a 5 year old could cut a cattle panel etc with these.
Yep...we have 'em in a few sizes. :DOH! The big ones got locked into the car trailer once...padlock keys got lost....bought smaller ones to get into trailer. ;)

• Banamine paste and injectible
  • SMZ's
  • Tribressen Paste
  • Triple Antibiotic Eye Ointment
  • Probiotic Paste
  • Vitamin B Paste
  • Flavored Vitamin C Tablets
  • Nolvasan Scrub
  • Fura Septin (sp) Salve
  • Lyme Dip (for rain rot)
  • Peroxide
  • Gator Ade / Power Ade [SIZE=8pt](not in the kit but always on hand)[/SIZE]
  • Big Dosing Syringe
  • Injection Syringes
  • Vet Wrap
  • Duct Tape
  • Stethescope (sp?)
  • Digital Thermometers
  • Book -- Miniature Horses: A Vetrinary Guide for Owners and Breeders

We have on hand:

Gauze packing

Gauze pads

Cotton batting

Cotton balls

vet wrap

Bandage wrap

Sling

Twine

Saline eye solution

Bag of NS

IV tubing

IV needles

Surgical scissors

Surgical scalpel

Surgical tubing

Tweezers/plyers

Splint

Forceps

Surgical stapler

Calm n Cool

Quietex

Banamine paste & injectable

Lidocaine injectable

Lidocaine gel

KY Jelly

Electrolyte paste

Probios

Pepto Bismol

Benadryl injectable

Benadryl tabs

Cough syrup

Nolvasen

Betadine

alcohol

blood stop

Suture kit

SMZs

triple antibiotic eye ointment

Mineral Oil

Stethascope

digital thermometer

Sterile gloves

regular gloves

Rectal glove

Cool compress

Hot compress

Needles

syringes 3 cc to 60 cc

hoof pick

small clippers

hoof nippers

Plyers, small screwdriver, duct tape, knife

Saline solution is the best to rinse out wounds.

Add:

-Trial-size bottle of baby shampoo (the no-tears kind)

-Notepad and pen (to record vitals and info from vet)

-Equine Insurance information

When my horse got a fractured facial bone and needed 20 stitches, right next to his eye, the vet used and recommended the baby shampoo to keep it clean. I never would have thought of it.

We have on hand:

Gauze packing

Gauze pads

Cotton batting

Cotton balls

vet wrap

Bandage wrap

Sling

Twine

Saline eye solution

Bag of NS

IV tubing

IV needles

Surgical scissors

Surgical scalpel

Surgical tubing

Tweezers/plyers

Splint

Forceps

Surgical stapler

Calm n Cool

Quietex

Banamine paste & injectable

Lidocaine injectable

Lidocaine gel

KY Jelly

Electrolyte paste

Probios

Pepto Bismol

Benadryl injectable

Benadryl tabs

Cough syrup

Nolvasen

Betadine

alcohol

blood stop

Suture kit

SMZs

triple antibiotic eye ointment

Mineral Oil

Stethascope

digital thermometer

Sterile gloves

regular gloves

Rectal glove

Cool compress

Hot compress

Needles

syringes 3 cc to 60 cc

hoof pick

small clippers

hoof nippers

Plyers, small screwdriver, duct tape, knife
Great list!

It's taken us a number of years, but we probably have just about everything there.........

We also have saline, as someone has already posted. And we have a poster board on the wall to jot down info onto........Used to have a phone line to our previous barn, but now we use the cell phone.

Latest posts

Back