Trailer first aid kit

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
So tomarrow we are going to pick Midas up, and we're borrowing a friends trailer. I completely forgot to throw a first aid kit together for the ride, and now Im scrambling to get everything ready. Normally my B/O comes along and brings her kit, so Ive never worried much about it. I know I have most stuff here, because I bought stuff for the trip, but now im panicing and have forgot what all to take.

Heres whats at the top of my mind at the moment:

Ducktape

Bucket

Gallons of water

wound cleaner

wound ointment

milk of magnesia

gauze squares

thermometer

syringe

*What is the recomended dose of milk of magnesia for a miniature horse?

I completely forgot to get banamine from my vet, what should I do? Is there anything I can substitute it with? (I usually have banamine, but used all I had when my mare coliced 2weeks ago, and I dont use bute so dont have it handy)

Obviously I wouldnt do anything without calling my vet, I just cant beleive I forgot to get everything ready until the last min.

I prefer Pepto and I use about 3-8 cc depending on the size of the horse. I would add some gauze pads, some rubber gloves, treats, oral banamine paste, some plain old Zantac or Tgament if you're really worried. They travel better than we think. It's when they get home we should watch them like hawks. Use you as the best meds!

This is a good chance to pass along a (hopefully) comprehensive trailer safety / emergency kit. This is what I have in my trailer if we are going anywhere:

• Vet Wrap
  • Banamine Paste
  • Fura-Septin Ointment
  • Spare Halters for Everyone
  • Spare Lead Ropes
  • 7 Gallon Water Tank (got two at Walmart for $5 or so)
  • Copies of the Coggins Certificates
  • Copies of the Registration Certificates
  • Bale of Hay
  • Spare Tire
  • Jack
  • Gooseneck Lock
  • Cell Phone

The trip went well, and no bumps or cuts, thank goodness!

I ended up taking a water bucket

2 gallons water

4x4 no stick gauze pads

2x3 gauze pads

sanitary napkins

stretch gauze

peroxide

alcohol

milk of magnesia

thermometer

pro biotics

flashlight