What in YOUR equine first aid kit?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooreAcres

Reaction score
I am updating my first aid kit for the barn and I'm sure I'm missing a few things. Would you mind sharing a list of items in yours that are essential? What are your must haves? What have you learned over the years to have handy?

Thanks!

My first aid kit is actually pretty pathetic by some standards. The only gotta haves for me are about dozen rolls vet wrap, seems like whenever I have less than that on hand, someone gets seriously hurt; Schreiner's Herbal solution, betadine (povidone iodine); pain reliever (currently have both bute and banamine to use at vets recommendation); gauze rolls and pads to go with the vetwrap, and a thermometer. [And, I keep little single serve applesauce cups in the cupboard for mixing meds with to get them to take it more easily. I use the 60cc catheter tip syringes for oral dosing.] I do have an assortment of syringes and needles, but usually end up giving the syringes to hubby for medicating cattle (he runs out, and I don't, so he gets my supply).

I don't have a first aid kit as such. Everything I need is put away in its place in the house so I can go in & grab it very easily.

There is a box full of saline bags and saline syringes in the hall closet. Bag of syringes and needles on the shelf in the kitchen. Polysporin ointment for us & the horses in the medicine cabinet. Bottle of penicillin (used mostly to use on/in poked or inflamed eyes) in the fridge. Bottle each of Banamine and Pre-def 2X in the cabinet; jar of Unimprim in the cupboard. Mineral oil in the cupboard. Can find bandaging materials easily if needed--usually isn't. That's about it.

I dont have one either. I too have everything in its own place from the house to the barn. Some stuff is human/dog/horse use so, it only depends on where it is located in its rightful spot. If i started moving things around, then my hubby wouldnt know where to start looking. So in my defense... hubby stupid proof! lol!

Sounds like I am not alone in having things in various places - house or barn - and a lot is stuff that was specific for a particular horse. For example, I have 2 kinds of eye ointment (both non-steroidal), banamine (paste & liquid), and lots of ulcer meds and bandaging material.

What I have done is put some of the stuff - ulcer meds, Maalox, dosing syringe, banamine paste (measured out dose), etc. into a big zip-lock bag to grab and take to horse shows. Betadine, vet wrap, and wound goop are already on the trailer.

Latest posts

Back