What's happening to my colts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie

Reaction score
On the 17th of this month I went out to do my evening feeding and my gorgeous King Lee 15 day old colt lay dead in his pen. His dam didn't realize he was gone so when we went to take him out she went berserk. We gave her more time with him before we buried him.

We couldn't find and signs of struggle, no swelling, it just looked like he went to sleep and and never woke up.

Well, tonight I went out to feed and my beautiful 24 day old beautiful frame overo buckskin colt looked like he was sleeping. Walked over to him and he didn't move. Same symptoms as the first colt. Tomorrow he's going for a necropsy.

Has anyone ever had anything like this happen? Neither colt acted ill or distressed. I'm grief stricken to say the least. We had a colt born last night and I'm terrified that something will happen to him. The one filly we have is just fine.

Stephanie

OMG Stephanie! I'm stunned and horrified! I can't imagine. :no:

I'm so sorry!!
default_crybaby.gif
:

I don't breed, so I have no clue what could have happened.. Just wanted to say that I am sorry about your losses and sending prayers your way. I pray that you can find out what happened to your babies.. :no:

I am so sorry.
default_sad.png
I hope the testing gives you the answer. Something toxic, poisonous? Bless you & may your other horses stay healthy!

Oh Stephanie, I'm so sorry to hear about this. :no: I don't know what it is, but I'm praying you find out and that you latest colt will be fine.
default_pray.gif
:

How heartbreaking for you!!! I have no idea other than could they have gotten into something they shouldn't have? I am so sorry and I hope they can find out what is going on for you!

Dear Stephanie,

I am shocked to say the least. Please accept my deepest condolences. I can only imagine what you are going through. I am glad you are getting a necropsy done and hope you get a conclusive answer. I have no idea what could be happening there but possibly you may want to keep the new colt in the barn just in case something is in your pasture. Just guessing of course; I have no words to help you, I'm sorry.

Love,

Marty

Oh Lord......I am so sorry.........and have no answers either...........

You must be in shock, heartbroken, and scared out of your mind all at the same time........

Having a necropsy done is the only thing I would think of doing too. And keeping your future foal out of the same area the other two were in would be the second thing -- until you have some answers.

Please let us know what you find out. Will be thinking of you.

MA

Oh how awful!!!! Just guessing but think I remember some form of pneumonia in foals where they are dead before u knw they are sick? Hope u get answers from the necropsy.

Quite a few years ago now we lost a 2 week old foal to something called Tyzers Syndrome. It's a bacteria that attacks the liver and always lives in the soil, just sometimes foals are succeptable to it. We noticed she was sick, took her to the vet, and within a few hours she was dead. If we hadn't happened to see her, we'd have been as lost as you are.

I'm so sorry, losing a foal at birth is heartbreaking enough, but it's so much worse when they're a little older.

I am so sorry for your loss. We have lost foals like that from time to time, but never two so close. I hope that you find something from the necropsy. Good luck.

Stephanie --

I am so sorry!!! I just can't even imagine :no: Hopefully you will get answers from today. That will help ease your mind, I am sure. Again, I am so sorry for your losses.

Jill

You poor girl, how horrible. I wish I could be of help but just have no experience with this. I hope you don't lose any more and that they can find an answer for you. Maybe if you have more, you could move them to a different place? Just in case it's something in your soil or pasture. My prayers are definately with you.

No words can make a difference but this is sooo heartbreaking much worse than losing a baby at birth we lost one several years ago at 40 days and it is so much worse. Hopefully the necropsy can tell you something. Ours never did show why.

Stpehanie, I am so sorry! I know how upset you must be. Some type of poison comes to mind. I hope you get some answers from the necropsy. :no:

What a horrible thing to have to go through. I am so sorry you lost your babies and I hope that you find some answers soon. Yes, I would remove the remaing foals from the area too. I hope the necropsy will tell you something.

Best of luck to you.

Beth

Latest posts

Back