What's happening to my colts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh Stephanie I am so very sorry, what a heart breaking turn of events. I hope you get an answer soon as to what could have happened. I will say a prayer for you.

What a nightmare that must be for you. I'm sooo sorry. Prayers that you find answers and your other little ones stay safe.

my heart breaks for you. I cant even imagine the pain of losing 2 so close. sending prayers they get to the bottom of it

kay

I'm so sorry for your lose
default_sad.png
I sure hope you find the cause and your new baby will be safe. Joyce

My heart goes out to you; I can hardly imagine anything more devastating than losing TWO young foals in this manner, with NO indication of anything wrong! You are certainly doing the right thing by having the necropsy-in hopes it will provide some answers.

Years ago, I lost a youngster at a few weeks due to PDA-Peyton Ductis Arteriosis, where an opening in the heart area(don't recall all the details, just know this can happen in humans and dogs, also....)doesn't close soon after birth as it should, and results in death if not repaired/repairable-I know someone whose son had to have surgery for it; more recently, I have been told that it is 'now' treatable by medication--in humans, not sure about other mammals. In hindsight, we realized that the colt had seemed too 'tired' after exercise-but it was late June and hot, and he'd run around when turned out, so we just thought he'd gotten too hot--he seemed normal in every other way. I was gone to Estes Park when he was lost, but my late husband HAD noticed him in distress and got the vet here, but she couldn't help the colt by then. If memory serves, a vet should be able to tell by listening to the heart w/ a stethoscope if there is such a problem. Can't imagine it would occur with two, though.

My only suggestion would be as others have said-perhaps keep the newest colt out of the area where the others were, at least until you can investigate further?? Wish I could be of more help...my thoughts are with you in your grief.

Margo

I don't have any idea either, Stephanie, I just wanted to add my condolences on your losses. So heartbreaking and I'm so sorry! :no:

I hope you get some answers from the necropsy.

HUGS

Jodi

Oh no I am so very sorry I cant imagine how scary that is andh ow beside yourself you are.

The only thing I can think of it is pretty random though is heat..

foals overheat pretty easily and with the sun reflecting off the sand and them having alot of white maybe that had something to do with it? But really that is just a random guess although I know you have had foals born before in the desert

I am just so very sorry I know how heartbroken you are I am hoping the necropsy gives you anwers

Oh no!!! One of a person's worst nightmares!!

Glad to hear the necropsy is being done...please do keep us updated.

So sorry for your loss...HUGS...

Patent Ductus Arteriosis is when the Foramen Ovali wich is a valve between the right and left ventricle of the heart doesnt close at birth. It is open in an unborn baby because there is no oxygen in the lungs ad the blood doesnt go to the lungs to get it and then back to the heart to pump to the body so it takes a short cut. It normally closes at or right after birth. Friends of mine lost two foals by the same stallion but at different times suddenly one at a week old the other at 3 months and it was determined that both foals had aneurisms that ruptured cause from a weak vessel wall. These cardiac causes along with heat stroke would be my guesses but you wont know for sure without the autopsy. And even then some causes are just never known. Im so very sorry for your losses. LAst year I lost two fillies and their mothers at the start of foaling season. Praise God this year is off to a better start with a healthy filly and 4 more mares to go this summer. Let us know what you find out.

Lyn

:no: Oh no Stephanie, I am so very sorry for you over the loss of another colt. I have no advice to offer, but sure hope you will be able to find your answers through the necropsy. (((HUGS)))

I can only imagine your devistation. I am so very sorry but hopefully the necropsy will tell you more and at least give you an answer.

So sorry, I have no advice or ideas but wanted to say how sorry we are for your loss.
default_sad.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sooo very sorry, you will be in our thoughts/prayers, I pray your vet will be able to tell you what has caused this. I agree with the others and would keep current foals in until you have the results (((hugs)))

OH!!!! WHAT BAD MEMORIES AND DREAMS THIS BRINGS BACK...... :no: My Little Donte` was 4.3 months old when I found her in the pasture. Five minutes before she was playing with me over the fence as I was bringing them in for their PM feed. Everyone came into the barn but Donte`. I went looking for her and found her, I thought she had fainted but she was gone...My heart and soul go out to you. Vet never knew what happened to her...Don't beat yourself up over this as I did...It will make you very sick.. Just know that you loved them and they loved you....I am truely sorry...Theresa

How awful. I can't even imagine how devasting it must be to find your babies like that. I'm so sorry.
default_sad.png

Latest posts

Back