What's happening to my colts?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, how devastating! I am so sorry for your losses.. Prayers for your current foals that whatever happened to the two colts will not happen to them.

Oh Stephanie I am ver sorry for your loss. Its bad enough to lose them at birth but when they have lived and and really gotten into yourheart, it must be awful.

I hope you find out very soon.

I am sorry foryour heartache Stephanie.

Hugs

Bonnie

Ooohhh I am so very sorry...I hope they are able to tell you what caused this. How very sad!
default_sad.png

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope they will be able to find a answer in the necropsy. I can only imagine what you must be going thru. Prayers and (((hugs))) for comfort. Corinne

This breaks my heart. I feel so sorry for you. My prayers are with you.

Please update us on what the Vet says.
default_sad.png

So sorry for your loss This must be heartbreaking. Hope you get some answers as to the cause.

I am so sorry to hear of your losses, I hope you can find out what happened, My heart and prayers go out to you.

What a heartbreaking loss, I am so sorry. I hope you can get a quick answer from the necropsy and at least put your mind at ease concerning your other foals.

Jan

This is just so sad and I'm very sorry for your losses. I hope the necropsy will give you more information.

That is so sad and I feel so sorry for you. Let us know what the test reveals and at least then you will have some closure to the deaths. I've never heard of a situation like this before that I can remember.

Joyce

default_sad.png
oh how sad. I lost a 3 week old filly this season in very similar circumstances. She was racing around playing and being a normal foal only a few hours before i found her dead in the pasture. Like your boys, there was no sign of struggle at all, she looked like she had peacefully slipped away.

I would be very interested to see what the necropsy results come back with, if you get any answers please do post them. And i am so sorry for your losses. I hope your mares and you are coping ok.

I have no suggestions or ideas; the only foal I've known something similar to happen to was a friend's Arab filly that (so it was assumed) ran into a railroad tie fence post--we had a very bad wind storm that day & all sorts of stuff was blowing around. Friends came home from work & found the foal dead, right by the fence.

A big horse board I'm on has a posting about a two week old filly found dead in the box stall--they assume she ran head on into the wall; there was a bad thunderstorm in the night & they think maybe the mare & foal got spooked by the noise. Maybe it was that, maybe something else, they just assumed it was trauma.

It's pretty scary for you when you lose two in just the same way. One I might think was trauma, but to have it happen to two of them. I am so sorry for your losses. Hopefully the necropsy will show something definite & you'll have your answers--and hopefully know that your new colt is safe!

The necropsy is being done at a UC Davis extension and they are closed thru the holiday. We aren't expecting results until the end of the week.

Oh I'm so sorry for your losses. :no: :no: :no: ((((((HUGS))))))

I am so sorry for your loss. I have a friend who lost a foal this year the same way. I was wondering, can horses have SIDS? It sounds like all these foals just look like they are sleeping, peaceful and calm. Just curious. I am very sorry again. :no:

Hi Stephanie,

I don't come often, but am sorry to hear of your loss. I will be back to see what the results are. Again I am very sorry to hear you loosing your sweet foals.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I agree with some of the other people, it sounds like some kind of poision. It is so hard when they didn't have any signs to figure out what happened. So I would take inventory of everything in the barn that both foals have come into contact with, such as, hay, grain, beet pulp (check for sand or spoilage), water buckets or troughs, feed suppliments, vaccinations, wormer, pasture for weeds, tree leaves (red maple leaves could have blown into the pasture), bugs, birds (check the water trough for dead birds or animals), disenfectants, ect. Could anyone along your fence line have sprayed any chemicals near your pasture? I would keep the colt in the barn and away from everything until the results come back. I'll pray that you get results soon.

Stephanie, I haven't been here in quite a while, but I just dropped in and saw your post and it broke my heart! I can't imagine how devastated you are! I certainly hope the necropsy gives you some solid answers, and quickly!

If it were just one foal found this way, I might suspect that it choked. Foals are notorious for eating their dams' manure. Last year I found one of my foals in the stall with green bubbles coming out of its nose and it was choking. I rubbed my hands down its neck, sort of forcing the manure down the esophagus, and it worked.

But two foals dying in the same manner in such a short period doesn't make sense. Such a terrible tragedy!

Latest posts

Back