What would YOU do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie/Azariah

Reaction score
I am between a rock and a hard place.

I just am feeling torn. We are ready to finish packing the trailer, the horses are almost all ready... instructions going out to those who are helping with the farm work while I am away....and one of our horses... NOT one that we were going to be taking to Easterns... and NOT an illness that can be passed from horse to horse. But serious and I don't want to leave....

But my son has worked so hard, he wants to qualify in some more classes for Worlds and we have so much fun at the shows.

They think he has a liver abscess and hepatitis resulting from that. I know I really can't do anything right now... Just make sure he is comfortable, but I am afraid to leave him.

What would you do?

I wouldn't leave. But, if you absolutely MUST leave him and you can financially do it, maybe your vet would take him on an 'in-patient' basis for the weekend that you are gone. That would be the move that would make me, personally, most at ease. If not, then maybe the University teaching hospital for veterinary medicine near you could take him for observation while you are gone?

I was thinking the same thing as Mominis. Julie, can you leave him at the vet for care? Or any other farm that could monitor his care while you are gone?

I'll be thinking of you.

For me it would depend on who was staying at home to watch the horses and their experience level. Unless they had a lot of experience and knew the individual horse well (or I could afford to have the horse stay at a clinic while I was away) I would probably pass on the show. Children who own horses are never too young to learn that the responsiblity is a huge one and sometimes we miss out on things we really want, and worked hard for when we are needed at home. Unless you know someone who could take him and the horse(s) he is showing, but thats a lot of trust and a lot to figure out last minuite too.

Only you can make that decision. Because you are asking I think you know what you want to do.

As Mominis said, having a vet monitor while you are away would probably set your mind at ease.

For me it would depend on who was staying at home to watch the horses and their experience level. Unless they had a lot of experience and knew the individual horse well (or I could afford to have the horse stay at a clinic while I was away) I would probably pass on the show. Children who own horses are never too young to learn that the responsiblity is a huge one and sometimes we miss out on things we really want, and worked hard for when we are needed at home. Unless you know someone who could take him and the horse(s) he is showing, but thats a lot of trust and a lot to figure out last minuite too.

Well said, and "Billie" should know what she is talking about...she grew up with her horse.
default_wub.png

oh my...I need to read better.

If you have someone watching the horses that will make sure he is safe and comfortable then go. If he was mine, and if it was likely that he would not be there when I got back I would not leave. But If you can feel comfortable with him home and you gone, then go. L

Last edited by a moderator:
If you were my neighbor and closer, I'd take your son and the horse to the show so you could stay at home.
default_wub.png

What I would do is leave him at my vets to monitor. Go show. I dont know what I would do if I couldnt do that. My vet is very good about stuff like that.

I can't let him here without me... and I really can't do anything for him while I am here... except make sure he has hay and water and his meds...and WORRY...

I am calling the vet in the morning to see if they will take him while I am gone. I am sure they will.

I would also like them to look into some other things that might be going on and treat him aggressively if they need to.

If he is at the vet hospital... and I am home... I probably won't get much done~ wandering about aimlessly worrying. So, if the vet will keep him, then we are going to go show. If it becomes critical, I am 7-8 hours away and will hop in the truck and head home.

I am concerned about hyperlipidemia since he has gone down in weight so fast and things changed almost overnight. If that is the case then he HAS to be with the vet. If they need to transfer him to New Bolton Center... then I will come home.

I can't get anything done ~ I keep running out there to see if he is eating, peeing, pooping, stretching with pain, burping, farting :O) I am sure some of you know what I mean!

Julie I would not even think twice about sending your guy to New Bolton. They are GREAT there. Vets and techs all seem to love the little guys. I was very impressed with them and the price was not nearly as painful as I had expected when I had to use their services.

If you can get the horse into the Vets,or even somewhere you really, really trust, I would go.

As you say you will be doing nothing, except worry.

Go with a clear conscience and I truly hope all is well when you return.

Julie, go to the show. With him at vets you know you've done everything you can and you being home isn't going to do him any good. We've had to do this before too because people PAY us to take their horses to shows we can't just stay home. It would have to be me or Frank in hospital before we could cancel out on a show.

Thinking of you and wishing you a good show and your little guy a speedy recovery.

Charlotte

Is New Bolton on the way to the show???

If so, maybe drop him off and pick him up after???

Latest posts

Back