What would you do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BannerBrat

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Dealing with an interesting scenario these days with my gelding, Banner. It seems that lately there is very little to improve on with him other than furthering his dressage work which I need to switch up constantly as he can only try for so long until he gets frustrated.

For example, our other work like going through obstacles and marathon hazards is practically flawless. We have also taken up herding around the guinea hens. And I mean that honestly as possible as I'm a perfectionist and for me to admit that there is minimal to improve on is pretty amazing. Mostly it's driver's error that there is any need to improve.

So I was wondering what would you do with a horse that's conditioned(for about an hour and a 1/2 right now) and ready to go, how do you keep improving? To give you an idea of what we did today,

I set up a challenging course of 5 sets of cones(all I have right now) with only about 5 inches of clearance and ran it 6 times at a gallop and only hit 3 cones, and 2 of those times was definitely my fault. But he was excellent, listening and working very well, flying changes as we changed direction, etc.

But after trying to make it as challenging as possible and we just breezed through it, going multiple ways through it.
default_new_shocked.gif
I really am running out of things to keep challenging him, which is scary as he lives for these challenges. (I can not wait for our few events this late summer/fall!!! We are sooooo ready.
default_yes.gif
)

I try to break up our work with various things that are part of our cross training as well,(long lining, longing, in hand work, ponying other horses, and soon jumping.)but I don't know what else to do!

Sorry now I'm rambling, trying to give enough information. Just curious, any suggestions?

What would you guys do?
default_wink.png

I would give him some "down time". Just do some on the trail conditioning, using every day things as natural hazards, getting him out of the ring for awhile. His brain needs a rest.
default_yes.gif

I never want my horses to "peak" until just before or during an event...then I let the down a bit in between, bringing them back up for the next one. If you try too hard to keep him at the top, it is not only boring for him at first, but he will possibly stress, trying too hard to maintain that level of perfection. Works for my guys.
default_yes.gif

Oy, been there! Dressage has always been my salvation as it's the one thing you can never get good enough at.
default_biggrin.png
I agree to change gears as much as possible but I know sometimes you simply can't get out to local trails or start driving with a group or any of that fun stuff we'd all like to try. Can you change up what kind of work you're asking him to do? He's been a total carriage driving horse, how about asking him to learn more agricultural stuff? He could learn log skidding or plowing or something. Have him drag the arena.
default_wink.png

I know he can run the hazards and cones flawlessly, but can he stop dead in the middle of a speed obstacle and stand on a loose rein? Have you tried grid work? What about doing lateral work in-hand such as shoulder-in? Have you asked him for simple and flying lead changes on command on figure eights? What about collected canter? There is ALWAYS something to work on!
default_thumbup.gif
On the other hand, I agree with Sue that it may be time to let him down a little just to keep him fresh.

One other thing you might consider is working him in a multiple hitch. Try pairs or a tandem! It's like starting over and brings a whole new challenge to things.

Leia

Take a lesson with a well-qualified driving instructor, even if they don't drive minis themselves. It may cost a bit, but it is worth it. I have felt a lot lately that I have "plateaued" until I take a lesson or clinic and realize all that I have to work on yet. Some of their boredom could be yours as well.

Myrna

I would give him some "down time". Just do some on the trail conditioning, using every day things as natural hazards, getting him out of the ring for awhile. His brain needs a rest.
default_yes.gif

I never want my horses to "peak" until just before or during an event...then I let the down a bit in between, bringing them back up for the next one. If you try too hard to keep him at the top, it is not only boring for him at first, but he will possibly stress, trying too hard to maintain that level of perfection. Works for my guys.
default_yes.gif
Hi Sue,

I actually don't have a ring, I do all of my work out in multiple fields. But I can still get what you are saying I do try to vary it up in that way as it is, but I think I'm going to work more on other stuff than driving to give him a week or so off of that.

I get what you are saying though about 'peaking' before an event. It's just hard for a controlling perfectionist to let him down. But I will try to do it more, it's probably something he needs more of.

Thank you. :)

Oy, been there! Dressage has always been my salvation as it's the one thing you can never get good enough at.
default_biggrin.png
I agree to change gears as much as possible but I know sometimes you simply can't get out to local trails or start driving with a group or any of that fun stuff we'd all like to try. Can you change up what kind of work you're asking him to do? He's been a total carriage driving horse, how about asking him to learn more agricultural stuff? He could learn log skidding or plowing or something. Have him drag the arena.
default_wink.png

I know he can run the hazards and cones flawlessly, but can he stop dead in the middle of a speed obstacle and stand on a loose rein? Have you tried grid work? What about doing lateral work in-hand such as shoulder-in? Have you asked him for simple and flying lead changes on command on figure eights? What about collected canter? There is ALWAYS something to work on!
default_thumbup.gif
On the other hand, I agree with Sue that it may be time to let him down a little just to keep him fresh.

One other thing you might consider is working him in a multiple hitch. Try pairs or a tandem! It's like starting over and brings a whole new challenge to things.

Leia
Yup, Leia I absolutely love Dressage for that reason. :)

Well actually back home he hauled whatever needed to be moved. I may have him pull some stone for me tomorrow just for something different. But I don't really have much else to do with him where I have him, it's almost too perfect for driving!
default_new_shocked.gif

I don't mean this snotty at all, but we are pretty good on all of your second paragraph. I do have to change it up when I demand a lot of him working correctly (continuing our dressage) he is one that really doesn't like being told where to put every foot. (You may have picked this up over the years)
default_wink.png
(And for you thinking he's an unruly brat he is flawless on all of his groundwork he rarely wears a halter anymore
default_biggrin.png
. If I could drive him without tack I would (obviously that doesn't work haha) but he really is a great horse but he's entitled to an opinion in my book.)

I was planning on putting him as a tandem with my new horse, but it looks like I may have just sold him (the new horse) And I don't have the money for pairs equipment. But I will be putting pair together in the near future.
default_yes.gif

I will try to switch things up more and just give him some plain time off as well.

Thanks Leia! :)

Take a lesson with a well-qualified driving instructor, even if they don't drive minis themselves. It may cost a bit, but it is worth it. I have felt a lot lately that I have "plateaued" until I take a lesson or clinic and realize all that I have to work on yet. Some of their boredom could be yours as well.

Myrna
Thanks Myrna, I'm without transportation for 10 weeks right now, but I have been trying to get into as many clinic and lessons. So far none have stayed (canceled) But I am looking forward to a lesson or clinic asap. :) I know what you mean though as I find this riding as well.

Thank you! :)

I don't drive but I felt compelled to comment, hope you don't mind. I also think he needs down time before he blows a gasket or gets sour on the whole thing. I've had the same thing in my very younger days with big horses that I felt I wanted to push towards complete and utter perfection. In hindsight now that I am OLD, it wasn't all really because of them alone, but mostly, because of me wanting always to improve on myself. With that pushing, can easily come some day when you least expect it, a complete blow out and breakdown. This is when I figured out it was time for me to leave the seasoned ones alone already, ease up and when I began to start taking in outside colts to train. I found new common ground with the seasoned ones by taking them completely away from my practice arena and go find open fields and trails to work them and there, they didn't even realize they were still "working" persay but stayed in top conditioning. Perhaps you can consider finding a way to "play" with him, make it all a game if he's bored, or even getting another horse started and find a balance in there somehow. Just a suggestion but feel free to slug me if I am out of line.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Perhaps you can consider finding a way to "play" with him, make it all a game if he's bored"

Precisely what I was thinking Marty. Many times we get locked into a certain way of doing things, it's all business and no play and adventure. I think that capturing the heart and mind of your horse is of paramount importance. Play and adventure is definitely one fun way to accomplish this. Perhaps you can leave the field and hit the trails for a while. Mini's are smart and fields can be boring.

I DID like some of your draft alternatives.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

I don't drive but I felt compelled to comment, hope you don't mind. I also think he needs down time before he blows a gasket or gets sour on the whole thing. I've had the same thing in my very younger days with big horses that I felt I wanted to push towards complete and utter perfection. In hindsight now that I am OLD, it wasn't all really because of them alone, but mostly, because of me wanting always to improve on myself. With that pushing, can easily come some day when you least expect it, a complete blow out and breakdown. This is when I figured out it was time for me to leave the seasoned ones alone already, ease up and when I began to start taking in outside colts to train. I found new common ground with the seasoned ones by taking them completely away from my practice arena and go find open fields and trails to work them and there, they didn't even realize they were still "working" persay but stayed in top conditioning. Perhaps you can consider finding a way to "play" with him, make it all a game if he's bored, or even getting another horse started and find a balance in there somehow. Just a suggestion but feel free to slug me if I am out of line.
Thanks Marty! I understand what you're saying. I am quite busy with 7+ other horses, but it is hard to let him have some off time as he seems genuinely disappointed if he's not worked. But I'm racking my brain to find other things to do with him. I do appreciate your post though, thank you.
default_wub.png

"Perhaps you can consider finding a way to "play" with him, make it all a game if he's bored"

Precisely what I was thinking Marty. Many times we get locked into a certain way of doing things, it's all business and no play and adventure. I think that capturing the heart and mind of your horse is of paramount importance. Play and adventure is definitely one fun way to accomplish this. Perhaps you can leave the field and hit the trails for a while. Mini's are smart and fields can be boring.

I DID like some of your draft alternatives.

Bb

Graham Carriage Works

Thanks Bob, I've explored everything in my area with him. And honestly there is not any trails we've left unturned. I certainly agree you have to let the horse put his twist on his job to make it his own. Thanks for your reply, off to think of more ideas to keep him busy.

are there non driving games you can play? what about doing high school stuff in hand, like learning a passage or piaffe or Spanish walk.. something away from the norm. What about trick training? I know nothing about driving horses though
default_smile.png
The way you talk he sounds like one of my geldings, he just loves learning and doing things.

Back