What to look for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiterbug

Reaction score
I don't know what to look for in a horse. (physically) I also don't know what a coggins is, or how do you take care of their teeth? How do you know if a horse is really the age the seller says it is? How do you trim their hooves? What kind of vaccinations do they need? How often do they need a bath? I am kind of scared to buy a horse, I had a dream that I bought one and forgot to feed it and a year later I rememered I had a horse and the poor things was skinny and eating weeds. I woke up feeling incredibly guilty!

Terri

Hi, Terri --

In most states, a coggins test is done each year on horses that are going to shows and a horse must have a negative coggins certificate to cross state lines. I do think some states require one within 6mos, vs. 12mos. It's to document the horse does not have Equine Infectious Anemia (which is not treatable and has no vaccine for -- but I do think is very rare).

For the horse's teeth, you should have them checked every year. Some people use an equine dentist for this, and others use their horse vet for this. A lot of horses will need their teeth "floated" (filed) yearly if they have a good bite, and more often if their bite is not good.

We do our own horses' feet but we've had minis for a long time and had a farrier help get us started. It takes some time to learn to do it right. As a new owner, you will want to find a farrier to do your horse's feet. They should be done every 6-8wks. I've found they need it more often in the spring and summer and less often in the fall and winter

To be sure the horse is the age its represented to be, some people know how to check teeth BUT I have heard on minis, that is less than accurate. If you are buying an AMHR and/or AMHA registered horse, the registrations will give you the horse's date of birth.

My horses are vaccinated for flu, rhino, tetanus, rabies, west nile virus, and e/w encephalitis. I do the shots myself.

When it comes to bathing, my show horses are sprayed off after exercising and if I've sweated them (only did this one season, will be doing it again though), then I will use some shampoo to get rid of the ointment that helps them sweat. They are bathed the night before a show and put to bed in PJ's to keep them clean. Other than that, they are not bathed. I have a couple who have actually never been bathed. They don't really "need" to be bathed, but you can do it in warm weather at your choice.

As far as what to look for in a horse, that will vary from owner to owner and according to "what" you want the horse to do. This is what I look for when I buy a new horse:

• long, straight, clean legs
  • good bite
  • AMHR and AMHA registered
  • good feet (not clubby)
  • high set neck with a good length to it
  • pretty head / nice eyes
  • high set tail
  • basically, halter show quality
Hope this helps
default_yes.gif

The questions you are asking show you are putting a lot of thought into this and to me, that means you are already on the right path to being a good horsewoman
default_smile.png

Good luck,

Jill

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I respect Jill, I think that maybe too much emphasis is put on halter quality horses. A horse does not have to have a high tail set nor pretty head to be a great performance horse. The high neck set (which equals a good chest) and straight legs and good over all appropriate angles are important for performance and good health.

You didn't say what you wanted to do with the horse. If you want to show in halter, then by all means, look for what Jill has said. If you want a driving horse, look for one with a nice sloping shoulder, good strong hip and the right angles to the legs. A post legged horse or one that is narrow based may not be good for driving.

If you want a pet, look for one that has straight legs-- but a little toeing out isn't going to hurt a horse whose life will be as a pasture pet loved by its owners. A little cow-hocked might actually be good for jumping! :)

A good bite is pretty important. If you're looking at a horse with an off bite, have your vet look at it first to determine if the horse will suffer from this bite or if the horse has other problems. Sometimes a horse with an off bite *might* be a dwarf. Sometimes newbies can see a cute little foal with an off bite that looks adorable but is actually a dwarf.

If you want a registered horse, educate yourself on what you need to get the horse transferred into your name. Make sure the paperwork is all in order. And if the horse does have papers, I believe it is in the horse's best interest to keep up the papers. Please register an eligible foal.

And I highly recommend a vet check before purchase. It can be as simple as the vet listening to the heart and lungs, looking into the eyes, feeling for both testicles (a cryptorchid can be expensive to geld), and looking for an overall healthy horse.

In addition, you might want to consider two horses. I have a couple horses that would be okay as an only horse, but I also have several that would be very stressed by it.

Good luck!

Ditto what the others said.

You should also find someone to mentor you and help you in your selection of a horse. Look at LOTs of horses and don't buy the first one you see.

Really sit and think about why you want the horse and then look for one that will fit your desires.

Buy the book "Getting Your First Horse" by Judith Dutson. This is a book written for adults and is very educational and entertaining. It covers all aspects of horse care and is a good start.

Good luck!

When I got into minis my greatest assest was a miniature horse breeder that was my mentor. I trusted her eye and she was wonderful at helping me choose horses (even when they were not hers). She is now retired, but still benefits me by listening.

Find someone you trust that can help you decide what is right for you. Don't be surprised if that changes in the next year as you learn more and live with your first horse. All of us here have come a long way from the first horse we bought to where we are now.

Horses are wonderful. Jump in and enjoy!

The most important quality in a mini for me is a wonderful intelligent, trainable disposition. Next is excellent conformation. I highly reccomend Barbara Naviaux's book, MINIATURE HORSES THEIR CARE, BREEDING AND COAT COLORS, for every beginner. I did not have a mentor around when we first fell in love with minis so it was a great help to learn about these wonderful characters. Mary

I'm sorry, Jill, but what about the parts that come in between the well set on neck & the high tail set?? Body, hip, stifle...

A person can have so much fun with a horse that is a little less than perfect by show ring standards; if you're looking for a family fun sort of horse you want a horse with good sound conformation and a super personality. If your goal is to have the next national champion, then you'd be looking for something a little different.

I guess I want a family fun type of horse. I have two children and we are getting into foster care so it must be good with kids. When I go look at one should I just bring my kids and observe how he acts around them? Also, what is a good bite and a bad bite? I don't think there are any horse dentists around here. I'll check. A guy up the road raises really pretty horses, I'll ask him.

thanks,

terri

Where are you located? There may be someone on this forum near you who could help you.

I guess I want a family fun type of horse. I have two children and we are getting into foster care so it must be good with kids. When I go look at one should I just bring my kids and observe how he acts around them? Also, what is a good bite and a bad bite? I don't think there are any horse dentists around here. I'll check. A guy up the road raises really pretty horses, I'll ask him.

thanks,

terri

Here is an example of a "good" bite (this is the bite of a 15 yr. old stud), his mouth wasn't completely closed but you can see how his bottom and top teeth line up, not the best pic. but it gives you an idea, hope this helps~

BodieandCherry1010.jpg

Excellent advice so far.

Keep in mind your goals with your horse, and even if you are looking for a pet, please buy the most well-proportioned horse you can find, as well as being conformationally sound.

Registration papers do not necessarily mean that the horse is going to be the best example of its breed, but if you DO wish to have registration (it is important to me, and most that I know), please be sure that the seller has clear title to the horse. Ask to see the original papers, be sure that they are in order (the horse should be IN the seller's name), most especially if you are purchasing a bred mare. You should be able to view the stallion report, the receipt of same (from the registry), and be sure that you get a breeding certificate/stallion service certificate signed by the stallion owner. Make sure your potential new mare is ON that stallion report.

If you can, find a local mentor or local mentors to help you through your purchase. Be careful, though, many people see someone coming with dollar signs and will only really give you help enough to steer you into purchasing something they want to get rid of. There are, however, many reputable breeders and sellers, and if you take the time to check references, you will likely find a good person to align yourself with.

Don't be afraid to ask for second, third, and fourth opinions. Take your time, and again keep your goals in mind. (for example, if you want to buy one for breeding with the intent to sell, you will likely have to be very strict in your search, as you have a lot to consider the market you are selling to, the prices, pedigrees as well as the first and foremost: correct conformation). Don't be sold on pedigrees, don't be sold on color alone, nor even height alone.

My suggestion would be to join a local miniature horse club and network through them to learn what you need to learn, and to meet the right people. You WILL enjoy the experience of attending shows, and in the end, you will have a more clear idea of what's good, bad, and what YOU like.

Good luck!

Liz

As much as I respect Jill, I think that maybe too much emphasis is put on halter quality horses. A horse does not have to have a high tail set nor pretty head to be a great performance horse. The high neck set (which equals a good chest) and straight legs and good over all appropriate angles are important for performance and good health.

I'm sorry, Jill, but what about the parts that come in between the well set on neck & the high tail set?? Body, hip, stifle...

Hi, Ladies
default_smile.png

Well, I said, the things I listed are the things I personally look for. They're not the only thngs I look for and as I also said, what's important varies from person to person and use to use. One thing's for sure -- I am very, very good at picking out horses that do it for me (go figure that I'm familiar with what I like in a horse).

Also, the type of horse I pick today is not the type I picked when I first got into minis, or when I first got into showing. It's evolved and had to in my case where I wanted to show better and better horses, and wanted to breed. But,
default_wub.png
:wub
default_wub.png
we still have our very first mini and doubtful H or I would let hm go anywhere (show boy or not!).

I'd encourage Terri to take her time and get what she feels is just right. But, realize that goals may evolve, or not. Either way is fine and good. Many of us are doing different things with our current minis than we did when we first got into minis.

Jill

Well i guess i too look at it from a halter horse point of view. I physically like to see a level topline / croup, high set long neck with definition, small "pretty" head with tiny tippy ears and a small muzzle with dark eyes, long straight legs and a ballanced "smooth" body. Breathtaking color tops it all for me, even if it is solid
default_yes.gif

One thing i would look for if i was getting my first horse, i would say get a horse with a gentle temperment that has been around everything and exposed to as much as possible. You do not want any surprizes with our first horse, a good temperment is one of, if not, the most important thing.

Leeana

I think it's important to get a horse who has the personality that fits your family. I leased first and later bought the horse because he quickly became a part of the family. Though he is not considered show quality and I have since evolved like Jill says and have bought fancier horses he is still the one I most enjoy and trust completely. He has safely taught our whole family to drive and show and we proudly show him!! He has given me the confidence to move up to a show horse and is now proudly owned by my 10 year old daughter who is driving and showing him in 4-H and local shows. He is completely safe for kids of all ages and in my book that's worth a lot!! When I just want to take a relaxing drive around town I still reach first for our Buddy!! And here he is!! Good Luck I know you'll find the perfect one for your family too!! Try to ignore the clip job my daughter is just learning!! LOL

April72007004.jpg

Hi Terri
default_smile.png

Good for you for asking these questions beforehand
default_smile.png

First- what do you want to do with the horse? If you want a pet conformation isn't that important compared to a halter show horse. Personality would be top of the list for a pet. Movement may be top of the list for a driving horse, "presence" for a liberty horse ect.

Check out the "standard of perfection" for the miniature horse. Both AMHA and AMHR have one. (American Miniature Horse Association and American Miniature Horse Registry). That will give you guidelines on mini conformation.

Coggins, yearly vaccinations and teeth can be done by a vet (or teeth by a horse dentist).

Take someone knowledgeble with you when you look at horses that can tell the age. You can also have a Prepurchase exam done by a vet who will check the health of the horse and can give you estimate of age.

A blacksmith can trim thier hooves. Every 6-8 weeks on an adult horse. A vet can tell you what vaccinations you need for your area.

Baths depend. You want to wash them before each show or event you take them to. If you don't do that they don't need one. Brushing them regularly will keep skin and hair healthy.

If you can buy a book on buying your first horse. There are many out there and it will go over what to look for. The vet is your best bet when it comes to health.

Hope this helps!

Tammie

Thanks everyone, I have a lot of homework to do! BTW, I live in Southern West Virginia if anyone out there is from my area please email me!

Terri

I think it's important to get a horse who has the personality that fits your family. I leased first and later bought the horse because he quickly became a part of the family. Though he is not considered show quality and I have since evolved like Jill says and have bought fancier horses he is still the one I most enjoy and trust completely. He has safely taught our whole family to drive and show and we proudly show him!! He has given me the confidence to move up to a show horse and is now proudly owned by my 10 year old daughter who is driving and showing him in 4-H and local shows. He is completely safe for kids of all ages and in my book that's worth a lot!! When I just want to take a relaxing drive around town I still reach first for our Buddy!! And here he is!! Good Luck I know you'll find the perfect one for your family too!! Try to ignore the clip job my daughter is just learning!! LOL

April72007004.jpg

Love the clip job...I'm learning too and your 10 year old is better at it than I am! Cute horse, one you can trust like that is just priceless!

Latest posts

Back