What to do?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't understand. If your mare tested open, you must have bred her? shouldn't shebe on your stallion report anyway?
Yip,,,,,,error on my part,,,,,,,I was wrong, hopefully, lesson learned.

Well -- How about a FOAL SHARE? You offer to co-own this foal with the Seller. They provide the stallion cert, you provide the "owner of the mare at the time of foaling" and the two of you split the registration fees/expenses for the foal --- then SELL the foal and split the proceeds??

Just an idea.

JJay

I truly don't understand why a breeder would not want to do the necessary paper work to register a foal out of a mare they exposed to a stallion unless they never exposed the mare to one of their stallions. Whether they thought she was open or not the facts are she did settle. If they did expose her to their stallion I feel it is their responsibility to fill out the necessary paper work to register the foal, like I said I cannot understand why any breeder would even consider not doing so? You are even offering to pay for the regristration, just makes no sense to me IMO making sure this little foal can be registered is the breeders ethical responsiblity if they did indeed expose her to their stallion. I pray it all works out for you.

I agree with Lisa. If the mare was specifically sold as "open", then you are going to have to risk your mare foaling and incur vet bills. Not to mention, if you had plans for that mare already and now you have to wait another year. If I had made that mistake, I would certainly provide papers. However, it would be interesting to hear the owner of stallion's side of the story. If it was a cross they did not want, then there are more factors to consider.

Man, that is one sorry situation and I feel that the seller should do the paperwork since it obviously did happen whether it slipped their mind or not. Now they are just going to dump and unregistered foal on you to try to figure out what to do with? Sorry to hear that and keep us posted on what goes on.

Another opinion question while we are at it. What if or who do you report to if you know someone who has horses that are registered falsely with a registry? Will the registry investigate? Say you go to someones farm to look at horses to purchase and a couple of their horses are double registered AMHR/ASPC but one is definitley.....appy? Does ASPC allow Appy breeding. Both parents were 'grey' so it is said. Mottling, sclera and big dark spots all over the rump seem a dead giveaway to me. What if they will not fix the paperwork because it will drop the value of their horses from some very well known bloodlines? They hurried up and registered the one before the deadline with R so that they would not have to submit pics. What if they have an unregistred 42 inch ex-ponyring pony that is now registered at 37 1/2 with R so that they can breed to their stallions and register the foals. Regarding the one Appy above they own that fillys, dads, 1/2 brother who is not grey but who also has faint white spots coming in all over, sclera and mottling. He seems to color more and more as he gets older however his is not so obvious that it would really show in a photo. They laughed it off as bird catcher spots. Not being new to Appys it seems pretty obvious to me that somewhere in the grey horse wood pile is an appy or two that is jumping right along. The horses are nice horses and the filly should be in a show ring however they don't want to loose the Shetland Status on her or raise flags as far as the other horses in her background maybe not being what they are said to be either. They say they will just breed to an Appy later so if that baby comes out colored they could blame the sire and now will only breed the stallion to an appy or very colored pinto so that if by chance something comes out looking appyish they can then blame the dam or cover it up with Sabino in the pinto lines or what have you. Why must people be so dishonest? You have what you have and there is a market out there for everyone to own different sizes, colors and registries of animals.

Lauralee wrote in a much more eloquent way, exactly what I was thinking. I totally agree with what she discussed and wish my post had said all that. :aktion033:

Andrea

I agree 100% with Lisa

Open means open and I would not be a happy camper to have my plans for this mare screwed up

I would report this to the registrys and see what they have to say about situations like this

It really stinks.

What the heck is the big problem of the breeder signing her name?

Geesh..........pen, paper, sign, done deal...........what is so hard about that?

Sometimes little oops do happen, but when they do, the responsible breeder should do everything in their power to make it right. In this case, the breeder should supply you with everything you need to register that foal. It would be unforgivable if they don't and I would be highly ticked off!!

[SIZE=12pt]This is my opinion also. [/SIZE]

I would say the seller is being very standoffish and unreasonable not to sign the paperwork to register the foal. It's a plus to buy a mare that is bred but very selfish not to sign the paperwork for the baby. What good is an unregistered foal. I wouldn't buy from that seller again, that's for sure. Hope you will be able to work it out with her so the baby can be registered. JMO.

Joyce

Since the mare was sold as "open" as a seller I wouldn't feel obligated to supply paperwork to register the foal. I would just chalk it up to letting it go as a "bonus" foal.
It certainly isn't a BONUS foal if the mare dies foaling, or one of the other multitude of things that can go wrong...does.

I disagree very strongly with this seller...I would make the offer again, give a date by which I expect to receive a positive reply, and make it very clear that I would contact the registry with a formal compaint against said seller for unscrulpulous practices. And I would have no compunction at all in telling others just who this seller was. IMHO, if a seller is a great one...we tell all about them, do we not? Why is it that the "bad-guys" are always protected because we're all scared to mention their names??

IMHO, this seller is in the wrong for wrongfully representing this mare for sale...and should be making tracks to be as helpful as possible to prevent any reprocussions, should something happen to this mare, should she become unable to carry a foal again, or even die, as a result of this pregnancy.

Lisa... :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: Agree with you 1000%
Ditto to both of you!!!!

I've got to admit, I am somewhat surprised that some responses are pretty much to the point, and direct,,,,and still only have one side of the story,,,,,,but your right.

Example of not black and white.

I sold a mare a few years ago,,,,in foal,,,,,,on payments,,,,,,,,,but I retained ALL paperwork until the mare was paid in full.

The mare was to be paid for in 6 months,,,,,,,8 months later, the mare was not paid off and the foal was delivered and already sold. Then, the buyer of the foal came after me. This buyer had paid for the foal in full and I WOULD turn over paperwork to her, now..........well, with a lawyer, I did not. I did turn over the foals paperwork, almost 5 months later, a total of 13 months, when the mare was paid for in full.

My point.

If this person that bought my mare, came on here and wrote,

"What do you think? I purchased a mare 8 months ago, she was in foal. The seller now refuses to turn over paper work for that baby."

Would I then be a seller with unscrulpulous practices? I would hope not,,,,but with the example I have given you, you pretty much got two sides, not one.

Sign the paper,,,,,,,it's just not always that black and white.

Yes there are b/w situations, in which case, I always think they should sign.

Just my small opinion.

I've got to admit, I am somewhat surprised that some responses are pretty much to the point, and direct,,,,and still only have one side of the story,,,,,,but your right.
One can only see into what they've been given, without assuming the poster is lying. In this case, the mare is apparently paid for, that's not the problem, and the buyer says they've offered to pay the fees invloved with registering the foal, including the late stallion report filing fees. (which, IMHO, should have already been filed, as this mare WAS obviously bred)

Of course there will be another side to the story, but the other side, isn't necessarily the right one, or the better one. Sometimes things ARE as you "see" them.

Were I the seller of this horse, and there was a real and true reason for not registering this foal, I would certainly be letting the buyer know what that reason is. It could be something as simple as the stallion wasn't brought permanent, or DNA'd. At least, tell the buyer the reason, don't just ignore them or give them reason to wonder what they've done wrong.

Thank you, everyone, for your posts. It's nice to know most feel the way I do about the seller doing the 'right' thing.

So far, she has not. AMHA says the late stallion report has not been filed as of this week. Nor has a breeders certificate come to the buyer. I'm wondering now, is she waiting to see if the mare & foal survive the delivery? :new_shocked: The thought has crossed my mind!

Thanks again for all your input. And, I will 'out' the seller, in due course, if this is not resolved to the buyers satisfaction.

Thanks again everyone!

Viki

Back