Do you re-check your pregnant mares?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostandFound

Staff member
Reaction score
Once your mare is in foal, do you continue to re-check every so often, or just hope for the best? It's been a long time since I bred, and I think I remember doing a 90 day check then letting nature run it's course. But everything seems to be a little different with the minis, and of course things change over the years too. Also, what's a good time to do an external ultrasound? I think I remember it's easiest at a certain point but I don't remember what that point is.

I like to do the two ultrasounds. At some point, the foal gets too large and pulls the uterus down where it's not really easy to see them and pregnancies get missed. So I checked mine at 15/16 days and then again after 90 days to ensure viability, then wished them good luck through the winter. Thankfully all went really well with my (horse) mares this year. I would feel a little guilty with the little ones. Everything is so much smaller but ultrasounds still go the same way...

Latest posts

Back