what to do with old gelding

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happy

Reaction score
what else is there to do with agelding 14 years old that does not do well at shows anymore. he does most everything asked is kind does not like other animals and just likes to be in a stall most of times.

the youth that was here is now gone and he looks lonsome. is this what a gelding does when no more shows. does a gelding live as long as others without company.

You mean he doesn't enjoy the company of other horses, or animals other than horses? If he doesn't like other horses and he doesn't do well for you at shows and he doesn't seem happy retired either, then maybe you need to find him a home with some kids who will shower his with attention? Or find some kids who will come to your farm and shower him with attention?

yes he doe not like any of the horses and not the chickens and sheep. l would like to keep him but have very little time l work out he stays most ly in the stall has free choice to come or go with a large outdoor space. he is good but l worry he will be to lonely here now and unhappy with no more child. selling has come up to a home with children. is that what people do is sell them on he has been here for 1 year. would like to keep him but he needs a job l think to keep him happy.

Give him a happy retirement. Spend some time with him yourself and give him a job or find him a new home where he'll have someone to spend time with him and give him a job. If you decide to sell him his next home doesn't necessarily have to be someplace with children, either, if there is an adult home out there who just wants a pet to love. That might actually be best as it may even be more permanent...

Yes, sometimes that is what happens with older horses, especially ones like your little guy. Heisn't ready to be retired yet, he wants to have a job still. Some horses just prefer human companionship to other animals and aren't happy unless they have someone devoted to them. He may just be in a winter slump, it can be a pretty depressing time of year, even for horses. Or it may be that he would do better in a home as an only horse where he will be the center of attention. I can tell you love this little guy and want to do the best for him. I know decisions like these are hard, but I know you'll find a way to make him happy with you or w new family. Some horses are perfectly happy to retire and be a pasture ornament, others wonder where all the fun in life went.

I would have him taught to drive and then you'd both enjoy each other and give him a job to do!!!

Joyce

Just one thing though ... 14 isn't old! He is more than able to take on a new family, or a new job!

I have a 16 year old gelding who is going to have to retire from the showring because of soundness problems ... he missed most of the shows last year and is already breaking my heart because he wants to go so much. But he's going to be teaching my 4Hers how to drive, so he'll still have a job to keep him busy, even though he can't work at the top of his form anymore.

I did not see where you said what size he is ... is this a mini or a riding animal, etc?

Sounds like he misses the attention! No fault of yours, we can'd be all and do all. So place him somewhere that he has the human interaction/job that he seems to miss. No fault of yours but, do him the kindness of finding a loving home for him to have a purpose again. Are there any training centers in your area that need a "schooling" horse?

14 is not old!! My 27 & 24 year old stallion & gelding are so active! They drive, jump, do tricks, halter, lunge AND show!!! The 27 year old stallion Even brings home the red ribbions!!

Teach him to drive.

If not, find him a good home! I know lots of 4-h-ers would love him :aktion033:

Do whats best for both of you.
default_yes.gif
:

Check on the Pony Forum, tracerace is looking for a mini to replace the one they lost. She has a little girl that would dote on him.

Mary

OK I have a few things to address here.

#1 is that 14 years old is not old. That's when they are seasoned and just getting good. That's middle age.

#2 You didn't say why he isn't doing well at shows anymore. Do you mean he is ring sour, or that the judges just are not placing him anymore?

If the latter is the case, then adjust his classes to something he will still get looked at.

#3 He could very much be missing his child. But also, I see a depression that could also be caused by any number of other underlying causes.

A horse that is depressed should be first and foremost examined by your vet to rule out anything physical.

I'm thinking pain is involved someplace because there is a reason that he is not wanting to move.

He is hold up in that stall for a reason so let's rule somethings out:

He could be standing in that stall because he's cold for one thing. Have you really felt him? Is he cold or clamy to the touch? Does he have ample feed and hay in front of him to keep him warm and warm water? If it's windy, they hate that. They can get earaches from having to stand in the wind.

Let's discuss artheritis.

People are under the impression that horses don't have it, unless they display outward symptoms. Wrong. Just because he is not limping or snapping or clicking any ligaments, does not mean that he is pain free. Especially if he was used for any performance events in the past. I'd have him on something for that. Maybe he doesn't want to move and go romping because he's stiff or in pain. It does not have to be in his legs. It can be anywhere, shoulders, hips, back.......etc.

Now there's his mind.

He maybe in great need of a mental tidy.

Some horses just hate it when they loose their job. Some horses thrive on working and will give you their heart and simply cannot bear it when they are retired and "out to pasture" so to speak and will sink into depression. They don't like feeling useless.

Then we have the weather. The weather especially the winter weather blahs can be affecting him. Just ask me. I've got houseatosis big time here. Glummy days, Christmas is gone, and spring is not in the air. Bummer.

The other thing that is bothering me is that he seems to have changed hands a lot. I wonder how many homes he has had. I really hate that with a passion, horses being passed around every couple of years. So not fair. People just don't seem to get it that horses are living, breathing, heart beating animals with feelings and they just pass them around like nobody's business left and right for whatever reason. Not saying that this is the fact because I don't know, but I'm just laying this out there for consideration too. He simply might be sick and tired of constant changes in his life and loosing his child might have been the breaking point for him.

You have stated that you don't have much time for him anymore, but would like to keep him. Well.......that would be nice if he were happy but it doesn't appear that he is.

So what can you do?

I'd start to put a plan in place. I would start with a good exam by the vet to rule out any pain problems or health matters. If he comes up clean as a whistle, then that means it's mental. You should do for him what you think he wants, and what will make him happy again. Just think about it. When and where was the last time you really saw that he was happy? And go from there.

[SIZE=10pt]Marty has some good advice...[/SIZE]

I would drive him, teaching can be as fun as driving..it gives you interaction with each other...and if he is a mini..remember the nursing homes and schools. Most of them LOVE a visit now and then from the little guys!!

OK I have a few things to address here.

#1 is that 14 years old is not old. That's when they are seasoned and just getting good. That's middle age.

#2 You didn't say why he isn't doing well at shows anymore. Do you mean he is ring sour, or that the judges just are not placing him anymore?

If the latter is the case, then adjust his classes to something he will still get looked at.

I agree whole heartedly.

I have a 16 yr. old gelding that does it all. The days of the judges picking a stock-quarterhorse-type mini are over. And as for pleasure driving he tried his heart out to keep up with those long-legged B horses (he went over 34" -probably always was but can you remember how they USED to measure?). The only class he can place in now is obstacle driving. We do have one option and that's pinto shows where he can knock their socks off in a color class.

Latest posts

Back