What the...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one Guide Horse I have been exposed to I would absolutely trust to get me wherever I needed to go. She is incredible. But she was meticulously trained by someone who knew what she was doing. http://theclickercenter.com/2004/Panda/index.php

I know of a second one that was trained by Dolores Arste who worked closely with Alex and Panda during her training days. I know Dolores, and I am sure that this horse is just as viable as a guide as Panda is. http://theeyesofmona.blogspot.com/

I know most of you will never be convinced, but I will continue to shine a light on those who have been trained CORRECTLY, and are every bit as good as guides. There are still difficulties as I believe their owners would agree. But there are benefits that outweigh some of the difficulties as well, for example, the relatively longer life of their guides. Panda is a very strong guide at age 10, an age where a dog guide would be starting to think of retiring.

The Burlesons are a blight on the world of animal lovers. It is really too bad they were the ones out there showing what could be done, because I certainly don't see the level of training there. But of course I believe it is the only way it would have played out because Alex has no desire for attention. Oh well.

I have one mini I consider as bomb-proof as any horse could get and she is trained to both go up and also go down steps. BUT.... Even after seeing her negotiate steps, watching her really think through the process and how careful she is, I would NEVER want someone to rely on her to assist THEM in the process. As much as I love Raven and as much as I trust her, and as tiny as she is, you will NOT see her being trained anytime soon as someone's guide. Maybe as a therapy animal at some point later in her life? Sure. But not for someone to rely on with their life. I'm just not convinced. I do believe there are people, as Amy mentioned, that really know how to train a horse and probably could make a great "assistance" animal. But I do not want any equine responsible for walking a blind person across a busy street.

But I'm still interested in the milking of cats!
default_laugh.png
That one I haven't given up on yet.
default_wacko.png

Parmela you just really gotta watch out for the claws!! They are worse than a cranky cow's tail!

Latest posts

Back