What size are your mini stalls?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrae

Reaction score
We are adding on to the barn and I'm considering a couple of 'mini' stalls....what size are yours?

9 of mine are 8x12, and one is 8x8
default_yes.gif

Ours are 10 x 10. I am adding on to our barn and the stalls there will also be 10 x 10 but one will have a removable divider so we can make it 10 x 20 if we need to.

Ours are 8x12. I have one 8x16 but its about to be split into two 8x8's as its time to seperate my two weaners and start shifting mares around to acclimate them to their new "rooms" before foaling season starts.

My smallest are 6 x 12, and the others are 12 x 12. I prefer to have roomy stalls in case the horses have to stay in any amount of time due to severe weather (and I personally don't consider my smaller stalls terribly"roomy" but "adequate"; I like my horses to have plenty of space if possible!).
default_smile.png

Much of stall size consideration is based on the size of your minis ---- and how much they will be in the stall.

I have several 6X8 and for my 27-28" minis they are wonderful. But, not for days on end!!! For the B size there are 8X10 or 8X12, etc......useful if a small one needs to be kept in for illness, etc., also. Mine are usually out in the fields with run-ins. But foaling, conditioning, etc., I use a stall. Mostly just overnight.

Be sure they can move easily, lay & roll without issue, have a "far end" for elimination and another area for food/water.

Also, if the stalls are permanent, think about resale value. Several of mine have a removeable center so I could have larger size within 10 minutes. The entire barn is build so that the stalls could be totally removed and re-mapped with no issue as to the soundness of the main structure....even totally left out and a huge open inside would be available. I put in foundation, blocked up, framed on that and trussed the structure. I do not have a loft. Have a separate hay building.

Much of stall size consideration is based on the size of your minis ---- and how much they will be in the stall.

I have several 6X8 and for my 27-28" minis they are wonderful. But, not for days on end!!! For the B size there are 8X10 or 8X12, etc......useful if a small one needs to be kept in for illness, etc., also. Mine are usually out in the fields with run-ins. But foaling, conditioning, etc., I use a stall. Mostly just overnight.

Be sure they can move easily, lay & roll without issue, have a "far end" for elimination and another area for food/water.

Also, if the stalls are permanent, think about resale value. Several of mine have a removeable center so I could have larger size within 10 minutes. The entire barn is build so that the stalls could be totally removed and re-mapped with no issue as to the soundness of the main structure....even totally left out and a huge open inside would be available. I put in foundation, blocked up, framed on that and trussed the structure. I do not have a loft. Have a separate hay building.
[SIZE=12pt]Do you by chance have any "inside" pictures?? I'd like to see how you set it up
default_yes.gif
[/SIZE]

Thanks,

Joy

I have 10- 8 X 8's on my mini side of the barn and on the opposite side I have 4 -12 x12 and 2- 12x22, plus 2 more that are 10 x 10's. It all depends upon the horse and the size you prefer to have them in. For foaling you definitely need a much larger stall, but for just overnight, or nasty weather..mine do great in the 8 x 8's. I also have one large run-in attached to our main barn which is about 14 x 50 , and that can be completely enclosed with the sliding barn doors on it..and another small barn which has 3 8 x8 stalls in, but those dividers were removable, and we took them out and just use it as a run-in type barn for the yearling boys. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a small barn, so we have 8x10 stalls and are adding a larger foaling stall sometime over the winter. I think it will be 10x16.

Thanks for the input guys. My stalls are 12x12 and we have a 12x24 foaling stall (for our big horses). I thought about turning a 12x12 stall into two mini stalls in a temporary way, so the mini stalls would be 6x12 basically. I provide daily turnout unless the weather is just terrrible!

Thanks for the input guys. My stalls are 12x12 and we have a 12x24 foaling stall (for our big horses). I thought about turning a 12x12 stall into two mini stalls in a temporary way, so the mini stalls would be 6x12 basically. I provide daily turnout unless the weather is just terrrible!
Just one comment on dividing those stalls. We did the same thing, at first! Then when the weather got really nasty we found out that 6 x 12 is really too tight to keep them in more than over night. Next we put up two 8 x 8 which according the to stall designers was supposed to be addequate for minis. Two of our horses are around 34" and we found it to be just too small an area for them to be comfortable in for more than overnight. It turned our little filly into a "stall walker". She's now in one of the old 12 x12s and still nearly "running" circles when she's kept inside.

Through trial and error we've decided that 10 x 10 would be the most efficient size for minis. JMO

I had two 8x8 stalls and three minis--they loved sleeping together in one 8x8 stall (but I never closed the door unless the weather was really bad.

Now we moved and they are in a n open barn with no stalls (just a tack and feed room) 25 x 25. THeyt still sleep close to each other.

Robin

In my old barn I had 8'x8' stalls and 8'x10' stalls. I preferred the larger size for foaling out my mares, but they also did just fine in the smaller size. My new barn is going to have 8'x8' stalls.

I have 12 6x8 stalls (6 wide and 8 deep) -- and one 8x8. 6x8 is big enough for the B size minis to lie down -- however I have one 31" mini who likes to roll in hers and gets cast every once in a while.

We have three, 8X10, see through so they feel like they are close..works great when we have to shut them in, mostly we leave the barn open and they go in and out. They also have a run in shed 12X12...our third one is empty right now and we use it for hay storage.

I converted two of my 12 x 12 big horse stalls into 2 x 12 stalls and I use those for minis and weanling and yaerling Shetlands and they all do fine, even if they have to stay stalled due to bad weather. My stalls have wire dividers so they "appear" less confined and also the back wall is only 4 foot high and open above that so again, more roomy appearing and plenty of fresh air in the barn. You can view photos of the inside of my barn on the opening page of my website at www.Lmequineservices.com.

if at all possible I would avoid dividing and making it a 6x12 that can be a bit tight for a horse to be in any length of time due to the shape (JMO)

My stalls are 10x10 with removable dividers so now all the horses are in 10x20 stalls my foaling stalls are 16x16 and personally I cant see going any smaller ( If i were building a new barn) you would be amazed at how small a 16x16 can seem when you have a mare with a dystocia, a vet - a vet assisitent or any other 2nd person, yourself or any other family members and all the equipment your vet needs.

Latest posts

Back