What made you choose your bloodline?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniaturePrincess429

Reaction score
I was just wondering what made you choose your bloodline(s) in your breeding programs, and what are the bloodlines you tend to gravitate towards, and why. Pictures are of course most welcome

I did not have a choice..........My Mommy and Daddy got to gether and here I am.....
default_biggrin.png

hahahaaaaa that was so funny
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
They're several bloodlines that I really like, the oldest bloodline that I own is Gold Melody Boy and Komoko Little King Supreme. I am a head freak and I also like a really long refined neck.

I own quite a few grandget of Komoko Little King Supreme as well as one daughter. I was always attracted to the ones that had beautiful heads and refined necks, and those where the ones that I bought. Later on, I also wanted motion, refineness and a really good hip. With that in mind, I have slowly been expanding my herd in that direction.

In today's lines, I like the heads on many of the First Knight horses, but fine that the good hip is still hard to find on many of the Miniautres.

EDITED: I should say that I also own two Blue Boy mares, a Patton daughter. a Breaking all the Rules daughter, a Cutty daughter, a Micky Mouse daughter and a Boones little Andy daughter.
default_biggrin.png

All bloodlines that I like. But... I did not buy them for the bloodlines, I bought them for what they are and what they can produce for me, as I have said many times before...conformation is alway top of my list!!

I go against the grain as I don't breed bloodlines. I breed for type. There is a certain type horse that I like and I don't see it in any particular bloodline.

My preference is short, dishy heads with large eyes, tiny muzzles and small tipped ears. Long, high set necks that do NOT bow out underneath, short backs, long hips with relatively level toplines and straight legs. Not all of my horses have all of these features; but where one is weak the other is strong and I blend those together to create beautiful, colorful horses.
default_smile.png

I go more on what I like and bloodlines are secondary to me. I look at what a horse can produce also. Conformation is at the top but I do love a beautiful head and me thinks I have found it in my new stallion who came home a week ago
default_wub.png

I'm with Becki, she described my ideal but I have one addition. Must have movement.

Color is not relevant unless it is perlino or cremello, then I would be very hard pressed to buy.

I have Komokos Little King Supreme lines here. I have a double bred SON and 3 Buckeroo/King Supreme G-Daughters. I also have Komokos lines as well and Rhotens Little Dandy lines (newer) in my herd.

2 stallions

Bob= Komokos/Johnstons/GMB bred (bay)

Sentra= double King Supreme son (buckskin roan)

4 sr. mares

Misty= Komokos Fancy Pants G-Daughter (silver dapple)

Wes= Little Kings/ x2 Buckeroo/ x2 King Supreme G-Daughter (bay roan)

Lady Bug= Buckeroo/ King Supreme G-Daughter (bay)

Elly= Rhotens Little Dandy bred (buckskin)

1 jr mare

Zarie= Little Kings/ x2 Buckeroo/ x4 King Supreme G-Daughter (buckskin roan)

All were carefully picked for their confirmation, movement, color, and neck/heads/legs! All are double registered also!

Sorry but I am pretty partcial to bays, buckskins, and anything roaned...

And always looking for a King Supreme daughter to add to my herd
default_wub.png

Bloodlines ARE important to me - maybe it is all those genetics courses I took in college and grad school, which I just loved.

What I did was lots of research. I looked at photos in magazines, on websites, live horses on farms and then at shows. Horses on farms of breeders that I respected and trusted got extra attention, and those bloodlines that you don't find on the east coast aren't in my barn either. I also checked bloodlines on the AMHA Studbook. From all this info, some patterns started to emerge; for example I noticed a lot of the farms whose horses I liked used Blue Boy bred mares. Then when I actually met horses wth the bloodlines I liked, I felt pretty good about my research.

In my search of bloodlines, I look very hard at the MARE's side of the pedigree too as I don't want to see any big "holes" with unknown horses. Most of our mini's dams were show horses. Also, I breed for Pintos and I don't want any Apps in the pedigree. And there are certain other horses I shy away from based on my research. Those are my criteria, which probably explains why we have so few minis!!! If the mare has a breeding history, then what she produces because as important - if not more so - than anything in her pedigree. For example, our last purchase was a Rowdy bred mare (on dam's side), and daughter of Jefferson Halls Gambler, who had had 4 gorgeous foals and three of them were sired by OUR STALLION'S PATERNAL HALF-BROTHER. And of course this was a breeder we trusted. That purchase was a no-brainer.

From all this info we ended up with minis with Rowdy, Blue Boy, Gold Melody Boy/Buckeroo, and King Supreme bloodlines. All except that last purchase have 2 of these 4 in their pedigrees. And our one and only live foal (lMax) has Rowdy, Blue Boy and Buckeroo in his pedigree. Yes, not any of them are very close, but there are also a lot of OTHER nice minis in there contributing genes.

Though this reply is a bit premature, as we have not purchased the horse yet, we have decided which farm/bloodline that we intend to purchase from. We arrived at this decision for three reasons: A. I have done quite a bit of research prior to making a decision on the type of horse that I like and I kept coming back to this particular farm or horses bred from the program of this particular farm. B. The objectivity of the breeder of their own herd and their desire to match me up with the right individual for the goals that I have in mind with a horse from their program, rather than trying to rush me into a quick sale. and C. The consistancy of the foals from this program as the type of individuals that I like.

I don't breed for a certain bloodline because conformation comes first in my book. Although, I'm a huge fan of GMB, Rowdy and Bond Sir Galahad lines. I think the GMB line are great minded horses and the Rowdy line has that showy attitude for the show pen.

I agree with what several others have posted. We don't breed based on bloodlines.. We picked our horses we liked not based on their bloodlines...

i may be the odd one here.. but there isnt a certian blood line i LOVE enough to stick to .... i have been creating my herd for a few years and the only horse i have that has a very well known horse in her predigree is my ne mare tanner she has Van`t huttenest... but thats it... the rest have some very far back in their pedigrees... but i have yet to choose a bloodline. i pick and choose from all lines... popular or unknown!

Back