What kind of dog?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
After testing out Mya we have eliminated her being allergic to dogs. It must have been the cat that made her go crazy. For me this is great, I so miss having pets.

So now my question is what is a good kind of dog for kids? I am going to look at local rescues first, but so far what I have seen there are huge dogs and a lot of little ones not good with kids. SO now I am going to move on to breed specific rescues around here. I dont want a puppy (well preferably one that is it least house broke but older is better in my opinion).

I am also thinking even though she shows no sign of allergies I might try to go with one that of the less allergic kind.

So any suggestions or recommendations?

I am in no hurry to get one either, I am thinking not before then end of February that way I am back from my school trip.

There are a lot of good breeds (and mixes) out there. It can be narrowed down by your specifics (size, energy level, grooming requirements).

Breeds / mixes that are dubbed to be moreso hypoallergenic are (but not limited too) Poodles, Bichons, Schnauzers and Portiguese Water Dogs.. And any of those mixes. Goldendoodles, Schnoodles, Maltipoos.. Every dog has saliva and dander, so no dog is hypoallergenic. Good thing Mya isn't allergic. :)

My personal recommendation on a smart, kid friendly, apartment compatible and minimal grooming would be a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or an English or French Bulldog. ;-)

www.dogbreedinfo.com has a little quiz that can help you choose
default_smile.png

I agree with boss mare on the English Bulldogs, I have two and 13 grand children, these dogs love, love, little ones. Only problem is they are expensive to buy and hard to find as a rescue. Not to mention they can have a lot of health issues. Really good ones that you may find at a rescue are goldens and labs, they are good too. Caviliers are great , but hard to find to adopt. I think your best bet may be to look for a mix, possably a retriever type, or even a hound. I would stay away from chows, shepherds, pit bulls, danes, and husky types. Although my daughter has a mixed husky that is fine with her kids, but they are older. There is nothing wrong with thes breeds, just don't recommend you adopt one that is older and not used to small children, oh forgot be careful with boxer types as well, I adobted one once and had to take it back when it attacked my daughter. Actually it would be better if you could adobt a puppy to get used to Mya. Then no worries.

Don't know if you got to see the ones on FB, shared them several times so it should have shown up, that is a lot of dog though.

We did have a bichon, a bigger one, weiged about 20-22 pounds. He was an awesome dog, excellent personality,extremely tolerant of young kids....the downside, he did not shed and the hair kinked every time he got wet, it was a high maintenance coat and easily matted with a few quick trips in the pool in the summer (loved to swim with the kids), white, that's all they come in, and in my personal opinion it makes them more prone to skin cancers and melanomas that grow aggressively (like white and grey horses). I would do a bichon cross in a heartbeat if I were looking, but don't think I would get another purebred. I love our mini Aussies, but as I said in a previous post, had I known about the small dog rescues in Ohio, I would have checked there first.

I honestly think a short hair breed would be almost as hypoallergenic as a non shed breed, just for the simple fact very short haired breeds won't be able to have a lot of crud held within its coat, not to mention....a breeze to groom.

From the time I was a kid, we had an Irish setter, cockapoo, mutts, mutt mixed with we believe a Shepard, a Shepard collie mix (loved him, but never again, big, nervous and shed like you wouldn't believe) a bichon, a lab and the mini Aussies. Loved them all, but the best dogs among the group were one of the mutts that was about 6 different breeds, the lab, but it took till he was about 3 to calm down, and the bichon. The Aussies are great, one is extremely smart, one,well is about as sharp as a butter knife. They love us and are very bonded to us and one another.

I have always wanted an English bulldog, but price wise its not going to happen. I also have already searched around here and there are none in the rescues.

YEs I seen the ones on FB but way to much dog for an apartment and actually I would never put that breed inside. I also had a boxer with my ex, but at the time that I moved I couldnt have her with me and she wasnt working out at my friends so sent her back to my ex. There is no way I would get her back now as she wouldnt have it, however she was awsome with kids. I was thinking smaller dog as I do live in apartment and Mya is still a scared around them. They are ok, if they are 5 or more feet away, part of the reason I plan to wait awhile before getting one.

I also thought about doing fostering that way if the dog didnt work out I could send him/her back with out issue and then if I found one that was a good fit for Mya I could just adopt it. Im not a big small dog person but logically in my apartment it would be best.

I say pick the dog..not the breed. I have fantastic dogs in my home that if I were breed searching I would never have considered. My brother has a great bishon..my mom has nutzo idiot bishon. I don't like pit bulls or pit mixes..but my niece has a pit mix that is a darling and I would take her in a minute. I have seen brainless collie's...I have a collie that is perfect and I love her. I once told someone I would never own a German shepherd and then my top number 1 dog I loved forever was a German shepherd dumped on our farm.. two weeks after I told somebody I would never live with a hound..somebody dumped a bassett on our farm. Everybody loves our Fred. I fostered a Tibetan spaniel.. adopted her..she is the light of my life. I owned dobies when folks thought they were killer dogs. My boy Max loved everybody. I will never breed pick again. I am done raising puppies. I say..find your heart match any breed dog. Dogs in foster care are family tested and foster parents want success and will tell you all they know. Check out petfinder for local rescues. Greyhounds..Chinese cresteds.. .Tibetan spaniels..collie's..mixed Heinz 57..sky is the limit. Visit local dog training clubs. Be honest about your personality and home situation. Don't get a hunting dog with field background and expect it to sit in a crate all day. Non shedding breeds require extensive grooming. Bearded collie's require lots of brushing and they bounce in joy. English bulldogs are lovely but come with many health issues. Boston terriers are awesome dogs low maintop grooming.. pugs are sweet but snore and shed a lot. Easy to train. I have been training dogs most of my life. I have 6 in my home right now. Love them..

Ps..just read u r looking for a small dog. So many to choose from. Go to petfinder and narrow the search with your zip code and choose small dog and search the local rescues. Ps small dogs move fast so you need to act fast if you see one. Have fun. Most important in dog search. I got my mikey ;(puff crested) when I found him for a friend. He tested well with my kids and his temperament was solid. My friend decided she didnt really want a dog. Imagine my chuckle driving home that day with mikey in my car telling my husband...well..I found the perfect dog for christy and he is coming home with me. He is my best obedience Chinese crested. Everybody loves mikey.

O my goodness, check into rat terriers! They LOVE children, water, going for walks or lounging on laps. A very good size for small children and they love cuddling and being dressed up. Of course, there could be exceptions; that's a given. Be sure the dog you choose will let you lay it on its back. A dog that won't submit to that could have some personality problems.

As for rescues--all dogs need good homes, so don't limit yourself to rescues.

Omg, there is the cutest mix puppy named Nancy on there.

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24994461?photo_view=1

I know where I will be looking when we are ready to add to our four legged family. I didn't realize they would work with several facilities in order to ship pups in from out of state if they are a match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short haired dogs do shed and are not hyperallergenic, just an fyi to consider. Non shedding dogs need to be groomed, so you can decide which one works best with you. I have a poodle, a standard schnauzer and a chinese crested. All of mine are great with the kids, and would fit what you are looking for. I say decide on the personality that you want and find the right dog that has that personality. Don't rule out a private adoption.rescue or a breeder, just search everywhere you can and you will find the right one.Good luck!

I just wanted to add that those deemed to be 'hypoallergenic' or 'non-shedding' need to be groomed (clipped) every 6-8 weeks (from someone who grooms dogs I get very tired of seeing dogs come in at 3 to 4 months that are sooo far beyond needing to be groomed, yet they are expected to look 'perfect' when they pick them up) So keep that in mind when doing your research!

Good luck!

~kathryn

I just wanted to add that those deemed to be 'hypoallergenic' or 'non-shedding' need to be groomed (clipped) every 6-8 weeks (from someone who grooms dogs I get very tired of seeing dogs come in at 3 to 4 months that are sooo far beyond needing to be groomed, yet they are expected to look 'perfect' when they pick them up) So keep that in mind when doing your research!

Good luck!

~kathryn
Exactly! That's why sometimes a short, as in very short coat, like a rat terrier may be easier to frequently clean and groom rather than a "hypoallergenic " hi maintenance coated breed. No breed is 100% hypoallergenic, and if the higher maintenance coat is going to trap dander, ESP if it is not maintained as frequently as it should be, a very short, easy to maintain coat may be just as low in dander when properly maintained.

Last edited by a moderator:
What part of the country do you live in? I work in animal control and a BIG part of my job is rescue/adoption coordination...I have LOTS of contacts!

How about a French bulldog? I saw some lovely ones to adopt.

If you like the bulldog look, but like something smaller, go for a Boston Terrier. It's what my grandmother always had when she ran her daycare and then a few yrs ago i lived bext to another daycare and they also had Boston Terriers. They are really sweet dogs and very quirky. A fun breed.

The best dogs for kids, imo, are collies, but they need room to run and they shed like crazy.

I think you must remember, that there is no such thing, as a 'hypoallergenic' dog. This, in spite of what some claim when breeding designer dogs, such as poodle mixes. Also, ALL dogs shed. No animal, including man, keeps the same hair they were born with, throughout their lives. That said, some are easier to take care of, than others. Small dogs - ie. Toy breeds, often are major barkers. That can be difficult in an apartment situation. Some small breeds are sturdier than others and do better with small children. Bostons are a good thought, but are high energy and can quickly become a problem if not given lots of work and stimulation. An older rescue Boston, might be a good thought. Bulldogs and French Bulldogs, are fraught with medical problems. Same with Cavaliers. I do suggest making a list of dogs which interest you. Discover why they were bred in the first place. For example, my Brussels Griffons, while considered a Toy breed, were bred originally to kill rats in the stables of Europe and they are all still, extremely game and all Terrier. Beagles are often a good choice, but are loud and will follow their nose if finding themselves free. Certain Hound breeds, are not safe to be let off a lead in an open area. They will either follow their noses or their eyes, if a sight hound and no amount of calling, will bring them back. So learn the history of any dog you like and know what to expect. Sorry, but for some reason, this forum doesn't allow me to make new paragraphs now. Lizzie

Grooming isn't an issue as I used to have a cocker I groomed.

Latest posts

Back