What is YOUR favorite horse movie?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love Cass Ole'. One year, when this trainer threw on a big event at the Tacoma Dome,

called "Horses A Standing Ovation" Cass Ole' was in attendance....what a spectacular

horse he was........

So the Black Stallion remains my #1 fav, although I enjoy the others named in the thread.

So was Cass Ole the horse in "Black Stallion"??

was it Cass Ole that coliced and had to be euthanized while shooting the second film? At the time I remember them saying it was the "starring horse".

So was Cass Ole the horse in "Black Stallion"??
Yes, he and three other horses played the black stallion. He wasn't actually pure black though, he had white on his pasterns and a white star on his face that had to be dyed.

He was from a Arabian ranch in Texas and he passed away around 1993?

I don't remember if that was during the shooting of another film or not.

He was a champion show horse before he ever became an 'actor'.

He had such an aura about him in real life. I felt honored to see him

in person.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys haev probably never heard of these, they were on Disney when i was like 10-12 (im 19 now), but Flash and Ready to Run are two of my favorites.

I also like Danny, Dreamer, Hallmark Movie The Long Shot, Big Spender, and Two Bits

I was just looking up about Cass Ole and they said he did die in 1993. He was euthanized due to colic. The Black Stallion Returns was in 1984-ish?

Yep, I remember Flash and Ready to Run. I wasn't a kid anymore, but I had to tune in to Disney to watch them. Good times.
default_laugh.png

Did anyone see a movie called Amanda? I was reading about it and it sounds really good. A boy loses part of his sight during a riding accident and a horse named Amanda helps him through it.

There's two movies that I can't think of the name of and I'm hoping that someone else might know them? One is from the late 70's or early 80's. It's about a girl who's father works in the rodeo I think, and her mom is killed one night in an accident. They go back to a ranch, and her mom's horse is still there but I think the dad wants to get rid of it. The daughter forms a bond with it, but the story is more so about her and her dad. The other one is a mother and her two sons move to a town closer to the prison that their dad is in. The older boy befriends a native american guy and keeps seeing a horse that leads him to a canyon. Do either of these sound familiar? Lol.

Smokey The Cowhorse, Originally written in a story by Will James then movie was made in 1946 with Fred Murray. this is an awesome horse movie. Not yet out on video but should be.

Another great movie I used to enjoy was Tonka.

These are both very old movies but both are great movies to watch if you can find them.

Marie

Favorite childhood story was sometime during the early 70's. Saw it at a local drive in.

It was about a hispanic boy who finds a race/or show (can't remember for sure) horse in the desert. He takes care of it, and the bad guys try to steal it. At the end, the owners give him a flashy pinto horse as a reward.

It think it was a Disney movie...I wish I could remember the name of it.

Anyone know what the name is? I'd love to know!

Last edited by a moderator:
Smokey The Cowhorse, Originally written in a story by Will James then movie was made in 1946 with Fred Murray. this is an awesome horse movie. Not yet out on video but should be.
I loved the original book but had no idea there was a movie! I'm going to have to hunt it down now.

The one I watched over and over as a kid: Wild Hearts Can't Be Broken. I did a major splurge and bought a rare copy (brand new even!) of the book A Girl and Five Brave Horses by Sonora Carver. It was a great book, fascinating to learn how they trained the horses, etc.

I can't believe no one mentioned Spirit? I know it's animated, but that's another one that I really like. So many cute scenes, like whe he gets his tongue stuck on the icicle and I love the soundtrack!

I also like The Man from Snowy River & 2nd one, Black Beauty (with the real horses), Dreamer, Flicka...I didn't like Hidalgo as well. I will have to look for some of the others mentioned.

I'm eager to see the movie coming out this summer The Greening of Whitney Brown, Tommie Turvery Jr trained the horses in the film, I saw one of his demos at the PA Horse Expo in February and he talked about the film.

As a child I loved the Disney movie A horse with the flying tail. I think that was the mane of it. A beautiful palamino that jumped.

I also loved the appy John Wayne rode in The Man from El Dorado.

I like most of those already that about.

What about the Saddle Club series? Some of horses in thare are nice looking. like the black Fresian.

Favorite childhood story was sometime during the early 70's. Saw it at a local drive in.
It was about a hispanic boy who finds a race/or show (can't remember for sure) horse in the desert. He takes care of it, and the bad guys try to steal it. At the end, the owners give him a flashy pinto horse as a reward.

I just saw that movie less than a month ago. The name escapes me. Let me sleep on it and maybe it'll come to me in the morning. It is a cute movie.

I just saw that movie less than a month ago. The name escapes me. Let me sleep on it and maybe it'll come to me in the morning. It is a cute movie.
Great! Let me know if you do remember the title
default_smile.png

I love Hidalgo! It's fun seeing what other people think; nice topic! I'm getting some good movie suggestions.
default_wink.png
But yes, Hidalgo is one of my very favorite movies.

I forgot about True Grit, but didn't like when they rode little blackie into the ground.
The comment about "True Grit" brought back memories--I watched it as a child and that little black horse was what my "dream" horse looked like. Every since then, I have not been able to stand John Wayne. Of course now as an adult, I know the horse wasn't injured, and John Wayne was just playing a part...but it left a strong enough impression on me then (I was about 9) that to this day, I haven't been able to get over it.
default_rolleyes.gif

If you want to research old movies (or even TV shows), I would highly recommend Internet Movie Database (imdb.com). You can look up by movie/show title or actor/actress. I can spend hours on there!

And the movie that always makes me want to bawl my eyes out: Phar Lap. I know the ending, but each time I watch the movie I get so into it, that I call out to the groom to not let Phar Lap go down, as if I could somehow change the ending & keep him from dying. Silly, huh?
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back