What is your favorite color(s) on a horse?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lori i have seen quite a few golden palomino minis but they were all from the Kahoka line. Just beautiful!

Conformation always comes first but after that I think everyone should buy what they like because after all your the one that will be looking at it day after day.

I have seen miniatures with very nasty dispositions unfortunately. Some I think it is a handling issue but others its definitely inherited as you can see one of the parents with the same nasty disposition. A couple years ago I was looking at a stallion to buy a breeding too. Once I saw how nasty he was I opted not to breed to him.

I have to say I love my solid grey promise. Just wish I could freeze her where her color is now LOL. I also love a blue roan.

But my all time favorite is frame
default_wub.png

confoshot-385x249.jpg

tinydancer08-426x396.jpg

If I could have any colour in Miniature it would be a truly golden palomino. Not those washed out whitish yellow Isabella types or the sooty ones, but the deep, clean, burnished gold. I have not yet seen one in Minis although I had one in full size.
default_smile.png
What about this? My BTU son, Little Kings BT Bacardi Gold, is a golden palomino mini
default_wub.png
Bacardi is pictured here freshly clipped (just a few days prior)
thumbup.gif

Bacardi%201.jpg
Bacardi%202.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to agree that to me, a beautiful conformation and good temperament make any coat color beautiful.

If I had to pick colors though, I'm probably the oddball out. I love the 'boring' solid colors, with a little bit of 'chrome', such as white on the face or feet. I guess that goes back to my love of Arabian horses; I love Arabian-type miniature horses so I like them in the same colors the big ones come in.
default_wub.png

I love rich chestnuts, especially coppers and the dark liver chestnuts with the flaxen manes and tails. I love dark and blood bays. And, of course, I love a good, rich true black. I also love grays, especially on a darker base.

I really like them all though. The only patterns that I am picky about is Appaloosas and Pintaloosas: I'm just not a fan of the mottled skin and some of the patterns just don't appeal to my eye. That said, I have seen some incredibly beautiful Appaloosa and Pintaloosa Miniatures.
default_smile.png

I love solid bay and buckskin..i have always liked solids over pinto's but i could never turn down a good pinto
default_smile.png

Erica's Ima Rowdy Twister - Solid bay

9xsdf-1.jpg

Wa-Full Benita - Buckskin broodmare

5x.jpg

If I could have any colour in Miniature it would be a truly golden palomino. Not those washed out whitish yellow Isabella types or the sooty ones, but the deep, clean, burnished gold. I have not yet seen one in Minis although I had one in full size.
default_smile.png

What about this? (She's really preg in this picture).

hmmmm i have never chose a horse just because of its color... temperment and conformation are always a first.. but if the horses has a good temperment and conformation... and just HAPPENED to be a snow cap appy (any color) or a dark (bay or black) pinto(any pattern but partial to baldy faced ones!) my hubby would have to hide the checkbook! LOL

Guess I'm odd as I love black pintos but prefer to show a bay or bay pinto. I love roans but only in big horses I don't care for it as much in little ones.
default_wacko.png

I agree that conformation and temperament are the most important items when looking for a "good" horse. But as long as we're dreaming, I'd love a black and white pinto with legs up to it's ears and lots of motion!!!
default_thumbup.gif

Number one on my wish list would be Panio Mans twin. I just love his pattern. My favorite is black and white pintos and I have 7 of those. One solid black, one silver dapple, and one sorrel and white pinto. I like white socks on a horse as I think it shows off their trot better. I also like two blue eyes.

Love those Pintos, my favorite is True Black Pinto

Cannot wait to see what my 28" Homozygous Tobiano stallion gives us.
default_smile.png

My favorite color...... first and foremost....is a..................... Good Temperament!
default_laugh.png
Am one of those people that think a good horse has no color.
default_wink.png

Ditto. But, I'm partial to:

Buckskins

Bays

Blacks

Greys

Silver Black

Silver Bay

Liver Chestnut

A lot of palomino Minis look like Isabellas their first couple of years, but by the time they are 3 and 4 years old, they have their true color in.

I have a dark gold palomino. Riverdance's Desperado. Unfortunatly, at the World show 2 years ago, he had pailed out (my fault, I should have had him under lights).

This is not a good picture of him, but at least you can see the color.

Desperado.jpg

1. true grey
default_wub.png

2. Bay minimal white overo
default_wub.png

3. Bay
default_wub.png

I own two bay QH and liver chestnut. I also own a buckskin and a black mini.

[SIZE=12pt]"A good horse is never a bad color."
default_wub.png
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]That statement is true for me. If I see a real beauty, it doesn't matter what color it is.[/SIZE]

My personal favorites are:

Buckskin

Dun

Silver Bay

Palomino (golden)

I like horses with chrome also on the face and legs. That really looks striking to me.

We have all sorts of colors, but the ones above are MY favorites.

my ultimate favorite color would be a loud buckskin overo or loud black frame!

Bay is one of my favorite colors, and I dont have one
default_sad.png

But, I love solid black and black frame.

My favorite pattern is appaloosa, regardless of whether it is leopard, blanket, blanket with spots, snowflake.
default_smile.png

Only about half of my horses are appaloosa though, because quality comes before color every time. Appys are continually getting better and better, but they still have a ways to go for the most part. Some of my solid horses I breed to appys for improvement.
default_smile.png

My favorite colors are buckskin and bay. I love white on a face, and white on the legs, but I also like (and have) solid colors. Oh, and roans are also a favorite of mine; we have several. Sorrel or chestnut is generally my least favorite, but one of my favorite horses is a red roan and her color is beautiful.

My all-time favorite color and pattern is buckskin appaloosa. We now have two of those, so should be producing more in the near future.
default_wub.png

I forgot to add that I love the look of varied colored horses all out to pasture together-- it's great that miniatures come in so many different colors and patterns, it's like a horsey rainbow.
default_wub.png

I love a nice dark palomino, would love to own one, but for now my pale palomino and my palomino impersonating silver bay will have to do. I also really like buckskins and black pintos.

Latest posts

Back