what is this mark

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raine

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with a colour question...I have a silver Dapple Stallion his Sire is a Dun Frame Overo Ltd Magic man son and his Dam is a Silver Dapple...

I have noticed as his summer coat is coming in he has a brown mark appearing on his back.....never been there before...

I would like to get him colour tested but im not sure what for...because of his background he could be an Overo!!

What should i test him for ? and any idea's on the brown mark?

Sorry i cant seem to post photos but he is on my web site under Stallions. His name is Dougal...

Thanks in advance

"overo" is a misnomer- do you mean Frame?

If you have a picture it would help.....

Oops just went to your website.

I actually doubt that the sire is Dun, I think he was Frame but there is no Dun in the pedigree so it was probably a false dorsal that was made more prominent by the concentration of colour caused by the Frame pattern.

From the pictures you boy is a Silver Black turning Grey, which would account for the blotches of colour.

Last edited by a moderator:
"overo" is a misnomer- do you mean Frame?

If you have a picture it would help.....

Oops just went to your website.

I actually doubt that the sire is Dun, I think he was Frame but there is no Dun in the pedigree so it was probably a false dorsal that was made more prominent by the concentration of colour caused by the Frame pattern.

From the pictures you boy is a Silver Black turning Grey, which would account for the blotches of colour.

Im no good at colour as you can guess so i dont know what i ment lol

His sire is a very striking frame overo , on the LTD web site it says hes a dun but i think hes a black frame overo..

Dougal was the colour he is at birth , i thought a grey horse started off a dfferant colour then turned grey?

If you are breeding this horse (or any really), they should be tested for the frame overo gene! Especially if there is a know history of frame in their pedigree, such as the LTD bloodline. Please test his for that, if nothing else
default_unsure.png

And grey horses can be born grey. Think of a Welsh pony or often the Michigan bloodline.

Last edited by a moderator:
He looks silver black going grey to me too. I love grey minis, they look so Arabian-ish. If he was born silver black then you may not notice a whole lot of difference between his original color and his current grey, just different "shades of grey" lol, but often they will get darker before they get lighter, and you may notice him lightening more over time.

If you are breeding this horse (or any really), they should be tested for the frame overo gene! Especially if there is a know history of frame in their pedigree, such as the LTD bloodline. Please test his for that, if nothing else
default_unsure.png

And grey horses can be born grey. Think of a Welsh pony or often the Michigan bloodline.

All my mares have been tested just havent got round to testing him yet, so i know the couple i have ever breed him too do not carry this gene..

thanks for the info anyway
default_yes.gif

He looks silver black going grey to me too. I love grey minis, they look so Arabian-ish. If he was born silver black then you may not notice a whole lot of difference between his original color and his current grey, just different "shades of grey" lol, but often they will get darker before they get lighter, and you may notice him lightening more over time.
i agree i also love the look of grey horses , hes a very pretty boy , my photos dont do him justice lol

Latest posts

Back