What is the longest

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleonard

Reaction score
I'm just curious what the longest everyone has heard/ experienced a mare going overdue? I have heard of them going 377, has anyone had a mare go longer than that? Whan do you just give up and say they aren't pregnant?
default_sad.png

My mare is trying to make me crazy, I'm sure! I just don't know how long she can keep it up if the baby really is still in there and she didn't lose it without us realizing.
default_unsure.png
:

What is your experience?
default_smile.png

Thanks!

Jessica

We just had a maiden mare foal 1 week shy of a year this morning.. The gal that bought the mare from me called the vets out this morning because she couldnt find any movement either.... But all checked out ok, and the mare fooled everybody, and foaled a few hours later a lovely cremello filly :lol: ....The vets are saying that this is a late foaling year for most of their clients, and is quite typical ...

Our previous record was 349 days - however this year we have a maiden mare we are still waiting to foal , her due date as due April 4th. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

Our previous record was 349 days - however this year we have a maiden mare we are still waiting to foal , her due date as due April 4th. :new_shocked: :new_shocked:
I have a maiden mare that was due on April 22. I do hope she goes soon!

Didn't someone on this list have a mare go 385 days? Something like that? I was going to ask this same question. My mare is347, big as a house, big bag for a couple of weeks and turning into a real @#%$ which is not like her but nothing yet. Lots of foal movementthough.

I believe I win this one hands down

[SIZE=36pt]403 days!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

HOLY COW!!! First off, I don't want to hear that! :no: Were there any complications? How big was the foal? WOW :eek:

I have a mare that was due on April 9th. To be honest I don't know for sure she's pregnant. She looks 'sort of' pregnant, acts VERY pregnant, and doesn't have a bag. I know for sure what her breeding date was as she was only with the stallion ONE time. It was an accidental breeding that I was lucky enough to have it be the stallion I would have chosen were I to do it on purpose, and not one of the big boys, since she's only 27" herself.

If she's not pregnant, she's one weird cookie of a mare, but she's hovering at close to 360 days here and I just have to wonder what's going on with her.

All of my other mares so far have gone at close to their expected due dates (within a couple days) she's my only hold out. I have one other mare due now that I purchased this winter pasture bred and I don't know her dates, but she is looking like she's getting ready in all the normal ways.

My mare was at 341 days, and I thought that was long!!! :new_shocked:

Liz R.

[SIZE=36pt]403 days!!!!!!!!!!![/SIZE]

[SIZE=24pt]AAAAACCCCCKK!!! Noooooo!!![/SIZE] :new_shocked: :new_shocked:

*closes page window frantically in case She Who Is At 325 Days And Has Been Ready To Pop For 2 Weeks manages to see it and gets any funny ideas...*

My mare foaled this year at 372 days. I was getting quite nervous about it until I found out she foaled last time at 368 days. All went well, and she had a little filly weighing 21 pounds.

When our mare hit 385 days and still hadn't foaled, we sent her to U of PA's New Bolton Center to foal out in their neo-natal ICU. Our vets and we thought there was a major complication that was behind that mega-long gestation.

It turns out everything was fine. The mare foaled without assistance a beautiful pinto filly. The vets were disappointed that we missed breaking their record (it was 404 days, so we did just miss it).

The foal was normal size and weight and just beautiful.

We sold her quickly after that foaling season. No way were we going thru' that again! We have been watching her for months!

(and yes, our breeding dates were correct)

[quote (it was 404 days,

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this is just the topic I needed to see, but 404 days...geesh. My two were bought pregnant, and the latest date on the stallion report was May 30, 2005 and they were exposed for two months prior to that in the pasture. I've been on expectant "Mom" adrenaline for a good while now and was about to give up if they hadn't foaled by the end of next week. Guess I need to get a good book, eh?

Thank you for starting this thread. I won't give up yet.

Stacye

404 days NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Got one at 338 days and I'm thinking that is long enough.

I keep telling her she's cooked it long enough and to let it out before I squeeze it out of her. :bgrin

Ok, so there is still hope! My girl is 371 days. I had been ready to give up, but if there's still a slight chance I'll stick it out!lol! 404 days though, I don't think I could wait that long! :new_shocked: I've been thretening to squeeze it out of her for weeks, if she goes anywhere near 400 days I think I'll seriously try!
default_yes.gif
:

Good luck to everyone, hope those of you still waiting don't have much longer to go!
default_wink.png
:

I am working on my longest now. She is at 347 days today. Has had a large bag for 2 weeks or more. It changes daily. She bit the #&!* out of me this morning when I was checking her. Her attitude is not the greatest anyway, but boy today she was in a BAD MOOD!!!! I cant blame her tho, if I was pregnant that long I would probably be groochy too. I hope to god that she doesnt go 404 days. OUCH!!!!!

Latest posts

Back