What does the Republican party stand for?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weebiscuit

Reaction score
I'd like you all to just make a list of several things that you think of when you think of the Republican party. It doesn't matter if you're a liberal, independent, libertarian, or republican. Just make a list.

I have a reason for asking for your "lists" of things you identify the Republican party with. I'll tell you what my reason is after I see some of the things on your lists! They can be positive or negative things.

I had a weird experience the other day, which has something to do with the reason I'm asking for your lists! I hope y'all can help me out!

Right now,

Taking Women's rights away

wanting to take gays rights away

wanting everyone to be Christian and be under their doctrine.

taking away Military retirement, medical...

Not up holding the Constitution.

Need I say more?

Last edited by a moderator:
The reasons I identify with the Republican side of the aisle is that the GOP matches up closely with how I feel regarding:

• Personal responsibility
  • Limited government
  • Strong National Security
  • Tougher on Illegal Immigration (there's a reason why the term "undocumented Democrat" is popular)
  • Pro Business
  • Pro Woman (the role call of Republican women is packed with strong, successful and smart people)
  • Free market agenda / pro-capitalism

I do see the progressives tainting the GOP. Not as terribly (yet?) as they have the Democrats, but it's there on both parties, and it is not good.

In my heart, Ialignn more closely with Libertarian (not to be confused with Liberal, please!) ideals, however, I do not feel a 3rd party is a viable option today and cannot vote for anyone I do not think will put Obama out of office.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, both of you, for your replies! I hope I get more. I'll come back in later this afternoon or evening and explain why I'm asking this.

Exactly what Shari said, but i'll add one more: Closed minded-ness (if that last one is even a word)

I would think the major difference between the two parties would be the role they think government should play in society. I think they both have the same goal in mind, just see a different way of going about it. Conservatives believe in a more "free" society, that the "ills" and wrongs are best worked out by the "free market", by allowing the people to put their money and time behind what they support, by doing so the good and just will be supported and remain the "majority". Liberals feel that, left to their own means, people will be corrupt and unjust, and abuse those "below" them, so the government needs to intervene more often to "balance" things and ensure that what is good and just is given a fair shot and remains an option.

The funny thing after writing that; is that I agree with both. I think most of us do, but feel "forced" to pick one side or the other; when in fact this Country is based on BOTH. For me, a balance between the two will always be the answer.

I think many of the things listed above, like personal responsibility, national security and equal rights are characteristics of BOTH parties, and shouldn’t be used "against" the other. It is specific candidates that we should have issues with, which want to take these rights away. I can understand though people wanting to "stereotype" the two parties. Right now it almost seems like many of the conservative candidates are purposely playing into these stereotypes just to make it extra clear that they are NOT LIBERALS, which for me, is my biggest frustration with the whole "game". Tell me where you actually stand on the issues, not just what your research tells you the voter wants you to say.

At the end of the day, I would lean more with Jill, towards the Libertarian party.

Sorry I couldn't get back in here last night! But here goes.... Let me start off by saying I am fairly independent in my voting. I've voted for Dems and Repubs, but mostly Repubs in the last decade. I really feel that i'm a Libertarian, but we just don't get enough media attention to challenge the Big Two!

I'm in Wisconsin, and if you've followed the news you'll know that our governor is facing a recall. I voted for this man, and I believe he did the right thing. In my little town of 5,000, we have a "native son" who has been, for DECADES, our state Senator, and he is a Republican, but he voted AGAINST Walker's budget repair bill, which infuriated every Republican in this state! And this isn't the first time he's crossed his party and voted against the way his electors wanted him to vote.

As a consequence of the Walker Recall and this Senator (whose wife in the Administrator of our school district here), my husband and I began attending the local Republican meetings, as did our 38 year old son, to see what we could do to help Walker and help get rid of this Senator. My son and husband eventually paid their dues and became members of the local Republican Party. I refused to do so and here's why:

One of the members of this local repub party is a Baptist minister, and each meeting is opened and closed by a lengthy prayer from him. This upsets me. I don't go to these meetings to be in "church." I go for political reasons. Yet even the chairwoman of this group constantly talks about the "assault on christianity" by the liberal party. OK... I can understand the anger over some of our "traditions" being found "unpolitically correct." But what I don't understand is the mindset of all the people at these meetings who feel that because you are a Republican, you are a christian. And THAT is what I was waiting to see crop up on anyone's list of what they think of the Republican Party.

To me, it has become a wing of the ultra-conservative christian faction in our nation, and it is excluding those who are NOT christians. I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN. My apologies to those of you who are aghast at that information. My husband and son are. I am not. When they open and close their meetings with prayer, I sit quietly, but seething. Do Democrats open and close their local meetings with prayer?

And then the other day, a member of this local Repub. party, who is a Deacon in our local Catholic church, sent an email out to all of us, and in part, it said, "

America and the

world is becoming more and more anti - christian, immoral, and

individualistic. Our government is losing its constitutional power,

the judges have become partisan, and the librals have corrupted and

brainwashed our democratic society.

I can't help it, but I took great offense at these words. I answered him back and part of what I said was "You say that American is becoming more and more anti-Christian and in the next sentence you say our government is losing its constitutional power. There is something inherently wrong in your reasoning. Our Constitution GUARANTEES religious freedom to ALL people in this country, whether they are Christians or not. So on the one hand you lament the loss of constitutional power and on the other you seem to bemoan the fact that we are no longer a completely christian nation. You can't have it both ways. If you want a government which follows the law of the US Constitution, then you must also accept the precepts of the First Amendment and gladly suffer those who are not of the christian religion to also practice their religion under the guarantees the constitution gives them to do so."

His response to me was "

Yes, we can have it both ways. My rights as a christian is just as

important as yours. It appears, to some, that the first amendment

only applies to thoughs who are not Christian.

I thought we were in this together. I thought we were fighting the

libral left. I didn't think that we were going to have issues with

each other.

Well, may God bless who ever wants to be blessed. You are on your own."

And that's all he wrote. (and the spelling errors are all his, not mine, LOL). So I sat here thinking about his attitude and I felt that there are far too many narrow-minded people in the Republican party. Of course there are wonderful people, too, but I simply can't *join* this group because of attitudes like this. If we are truly supposed to be the "Party of the Constitution" then we simply HAVE to get religion OUT of the forefront of the party!

Well, I've carried on too long, but I would appreciate any and all comments, whether you are conservative or liberal. But which ever you are, I welcome all thoughts. I have learned a long time ago that just because a person is of a different political bent than I am, it really has nothing to do with whether I like or dislike that person. That has more to do with personality! And so far, everyone here seems to have a pretty nice personality!

Oh Sandy, we DO have something in common
default_laugh.png

I applaud your stance on the separation of church and state. I am NOT anti-christian. I respect all faith's or lack thereof-one of the reasons I believe religion should be left out of government and public schools (except history courses when appropriate). I have zero problems with those who wish to practice their faith, whatever or whenever that may be, but I do wish it could be left out of areas in which everyone needs to come together, like your meeting, Sandy.

I'm not a member of any organized religion but I am a person of faith. Don't confuse freedom OF religion with freedom FROM religion.

I very much agree with you.

The founding father's had Church and Gov separate for a reason, and the current Gov is now proving the reason.

Up holding the Constitution is paramount, yet they are not any more.

Pretty scary what direction this country is going towards.

Sorry I couldn't get back in here last night! But here goes.... Let me start off by saying I am fairly independent in my voting. I've voted for Dems and Repubs, but mostly Repubs in the last decade. I really feel that i'm a Libertarian, but we just don't get enough media attention to challenge the Big Two!

I'm in Wisconsin, and if you've followed the news you'll know that our governor is facing a recall. I voted for this man, and I believe he did the right thing. In my little town of 5,000, we have a "native son" who has been, for DECADES, our state Senator, and he is a Republican, but he voted AGAINST Walker's budget repair bill, which infuriated every Republican in this state! And this isn't the first time he's crossed his party and voted against the way his electors wanted him to vote.

As a consequence of the Walker Recall and this Senator (whose wife in the Administrator of our school district here), my husband and I began attending the local Republican meetings, as did our 38 year old son, to see what we could do to help Walker and help get rid of this Senator. My son and husband eventually paid their dues and became members of the local Republican Party. I refused to do so and here's why:

One of the members of this local repub party is a Baptist minister, and each meeting is opened and closed by a lengthy prayer from him. This upsets me. I don't go to these meetings to be in "church." I go for political reasons. Yet even the chairwoman of this group constantly talks about the "assault on christianity" by the liberal party. OK... I can understand the anger over some of our "traditions" being found "unpolitically correct." But what I don't understand is the mindset of all the people at these meetings who feel that because you are a Republican, you are a christian. And THAT is what I was waiting to see crop up on anyone's list of what they think of the Republican Party.

To me, it has become a wing of the ultra-conservative christian faction in our nation, and it is excluding those who are NOT christians. I AM NOT A CHRISTIAN. My apologies to those of you who are aghast at that information. My husband and son are. I am not. When they open and close their meetings with prayer, I sit quietly, but seething. Do Democrats open and close their local meetings with prayer?

And then the other day, a member of this local Repub. party, who is a Deacon in our local Catholic church, sent an email out to all of us, and in part, it said, "

America and the

world is becoming more and more anti - christian, immoral, and

individualistic. Our government is losing its constitutional power,

the judges have become partisan, and the librals have corrupted and

brainwashed our democratic society.

I can't help it, but I took great offense at these words. I answered him back and part of what I said was "You say that American is becoming more and more anti-Christian and in the next sentence you say our government is losing its constitutional power. There is something inherently wrong in your reasoning. Our Constitution GUARANTEES religious freedom to ALL people in this country, whether they are Christians or not. So on the one hand you lament the loss of constitutional power and on the other you seem to bemoan the fact that we are no longer a completely christian nation. You can't have it both ways. If you want a government which follows the law of the US Constitution, then you must also accept the precepts of the First Amendment and gladly suffer those who are not of the christian religion to also practice their religion under the guarantees the constitution gives them to do so."

His response to me was "

Yes, we can have it both ways. My rights as a christian is just as

important as yours. It appears, to some, that the first amendment

only applies to thoughs who are not Christian.

I thought we were in this together. I thought we were fighting the

libral left. I didn't think that we were going to have issues with

each other.

Well, may God bless who ever wants to be blessed. You are on your own."

And that's all he wrote. (and the spelling errors are all his, not mine, LOL). So I sat here thinking about his attitude and I felt that there are far too many narrow-minded people in the Republican party. Of course there are wonderful people, too, but I simply can't *join* this group because of attitudes like this. If we are truly supposed to be the "Party of the Constitution" then we simply HAVE to get religion OUT of the forefront of the party!

Well, I've carried on too long, but I would appreciate any and all comments, whether you are conservative or liberal. But which ever you are, I welcome all thoughts. I have learned a long time ago that just because a person is of a different political bent than I am, it really has nothing to do with whether I like or dislike that person. That has more to do with personality! And so far, everyone here seems to have a pretty nice personality!

Separation of Church and State: government with freedom from religion.

The individual citizens of our country: freedom of religion-the freedom to practice whatever religion/faith they'd like without persecution.

Too many wars have been fought over religion and we are a country known for its vast diversity. Our country is already too far separated when it comes to government. Practice whatever religion/faith you'd like, but keep it out of government.

I'm not a member of any organized religion but I am a person of faith. Don't confuse freedom OF religion with freedom FROM religion.
What do you mean Jill ?

I think the statement, "Don't confuse Freedom of Religion with Freedom from Religion", is a general "slogan" that has been being used recently by many to help support or defend the stereotypical conservative’s views against removing god from any government funded programs, like schools and courts. In reality, when broken down, the statement doesn’t really carry any value, but sounds great and could easily be mistaken for some sort of "ah'ha moment". We actually are guaranteed both these things, as Ohmt mentioned. Freedom OF Religion refers to our freedom to practice any religion we see fit, and express our religion. We are also guaranteed that our government will be Free FROM Religion. That means no mention of Religion in government, yes its a hard strict line, but it is meant to be. Everything in history has told us that combining religion with the government leads to disaster.

Recently there has been so much talk about the liberal lefts "attack" on Christianity. There was actually a video posted on here, called a "documentary", that pretty much blamed the liberal communists for the entire downfall of our nation’s moral fibers and family structure by brainwashing the youth against religion in the government run schools. I couldn’t even begin to reply. With all the "controversy" the church has dealt with and bad publicity in the last twenty years, it is unreasonable to blame it on removing the word God from a few government funded areas. The “war on religion” is being fought from the inside out. I myself see more damage done to it by Conservative “supported” capitalism. How can we teach our children that greed and financial success is the only true motivator, tell them that human nature does not allow us to improve, while at the same time expecting them to respect and appreciate Christian beliefs and values?

The “war on religion” is being fought from the inside out. I myself see more damage done to it by Conservative “supported” capitalism. How can we teach our children that greed and financial success is the only true motivator, tell them that human nature does not allow us to improve, while at the same time expecting them to respect and appreciate Christian beliefs and values?
James, I don't quite agree with this. I see nothing wrong with financial success. And greed? What one person sees as "greed" another person sees as a "financial cushion." There is absolutely nothing wrong with the desire to succeed and be financially successful, and I don't see how they are incompatible with your christian beliefs and values. In fact, the Bible condemns sloth.

Our nation became great because people had an inherent desire to succeed. Some may call it greed, but I don't see it that way. I see it as "security." On the other hand, when liberals create all these "cradle to grave" welfare programs, they stifle the basic NEED to survive, and instead encourage laziness and sloth, and a society in which those who HAVE the means are expected to support those who do not wish to SEEK the means, and yet those who HAVE are called greedy.

As to other comments on this thread, I am not a person who wants to strip the nativity from courthouse lawns or take the word "God" out of the pledge, even though it was inserted by Eisenhower and not the Founding Fathers. I don't care if my greenbacks say "In God We Trust." I do recognize that before the last 80 years or so, we WERE almost entirely a Christian nation, so I recognize and appreciate our heritage.

But where I draw the line is when a political party seems to recognize ONLY christians and seems to align itself with a christian majority. Then we have people who vote for a candidate because of his position on abortion or same-sex marriage, which should NOT be a federal issue, but a state one. And when they cast votes based solely upon christian beliefs, then they ignore whether a candidate has a strong background in foreign affairs, or in government experience, or whether he understands that you can't tax your way out of debt, or that a strong defense doesn't mean sending our service people to the Middle East to fight wars that will never change a single thing.

What makes a country economically strong has little to do with what makes a person "just" and moral, the "success" of the tequnique has no bearing on the morality of it. While being financialy successfull and motivated is not inheritantly wrong, they are far from the most "pure" morals. "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how you play the game", "as long as it's for the right reasons" or "I'm not just doing it for the money". We have all heard these statements, we were taught them, they carried weight and value. These basic values are reflected in most major religion. The main point, your soul is more valuable than any possesion, dont worship false idols. Almost all lessons that the bible teaches us are based on these thoughts and being selfless. Most young people today see a huge hypocrysy in what we were taught as children and from Religion, and what we are then told in College and then experiance ourselves in the outside world. THAT is why organized religion is breaking down. Just as "welfare programs" promote sloth, "capitalism" promotes greed, both are moral issues, but one is waved as a flag of Success.

Back