What do you feed your dogs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"1: The stomach acid in a dog is industrial strengal, yes, dogs can get slamonella....but is extremely rare, no higher in raw fed dogs than in kibble fed. 2. My dogs stools are picked up every day, several times a day just like any other concieatious dog owner would do....and oh, btw, kibble fed dogs and cats and goodness me, humans also shed salmonella and E.Coli in their stools, also young adults can routinely carry these organisms in their bodys but as they are young and healthy, it does not affect them. There are many ways to scare ourselves about bacteria if we want, but why would we want to?"

It'd be nice if you could back up what you're saying with actual, scientific data but unfortunately for RAW feeders there isn't much, if any, available. I believe that's because the great majority of raw feeders become "experts" on just what their dog needs and so there is a wide disparity of what's being fed to these dogs including many nutritional gaps. It's pretty hard to test the "benefits" of that.
default_smile.png
On the other hand, here is a link to an actual study done on the public health risks of feeding raw and as you'll read, salmonella (and other nasty bacteria) was passed at an alarming rate out of dogs who were fed raw and not so in those fed kibble. I'm sorry if you don't find this worthy of your concern, but your raw fed dogs mouths, feeding area and stools are all sources of potential contamination.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...gi?artid=339295

As to the general claim of your's that kibble companies use dogs and cats and fallen livestock in their mixture, I'm sorry, but this is not true anymore, at least here in the USA. Maybe 10 years or so ago you could have used that as an excuse, but not today when our top quality dog foods are made of human grade ingredients ONLY... and as for the rest, well, I'm not defending Pedigree, Ol Roy, etc.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
With my show dogs (Bull Mastiffs) I fed a mixture, and depended on age and breeding stance as to what that mixture would be. They got the Nature's for large dogs, and added to it, I made the mixture of cooked oatmeal, raw eggs, powdered milk, and vegitable oil. My dogs were always healthy with a wonderful sheen, minimul hair shed, and always filled out well, even after whelping pups (including my bitch that had a very large litter of 13 pups!)

I won't say that I had the best feeding program, but it worked for my dogs.

Since I'm not showing now and we have one smaller breed dog, I don't go through all of the time to make a gruel, although he gets treated with tasty scraps left over from my preschool students. But I don't give bones that splinter like chicken bones, they can pierce the esophagus and get lodged. This happened to a dog my mother had when she was young, and I don't want the chance of any of mine going through the same.

There are many ways of feeding and there are some very unhealthy products on the market. I was told by a breeder once to check a dog food for it's quality, put a bite or 2 in a glass of water. If it stays together and swells up, it is only a filler dog food and you do not want to use it. If it falls apart and does not swell, it is quality.

~Karen

I run an non profit Vet Clinic & Shelter. Science Diet provides us with food at a very very big discount for our shelter pets & also free bags of food to give to new adoptees when they take home a cat or dog. We also carry the prescription diets that our Vets suggest when they see a problem pet, such as skin disorders ( sensitive skin) joint problems (j/D) & digestion or weight problems ( w/d). Having also worked in a previous vet clinic that carried Science diet, I am not aware of anytype of kick back programs that someone spoke of other than a wholesale & retail pricing which is true of any ITEM that any store will carry. I feel that Science Diet is a quality food & appreciate that they care enough to make this food available for us for the homeless pets that we house in our facility. Non profit agencies scrape by for every penny, this saves us a lot of money

That said, working now & in the past in Vet clinics I dont think any one brand is the perfect food for any one pet. Each pet will have its own needs. I do however rthink that plain brown kibble is going to be the best. Do you think your cat or dog really cares if their food is shaped like a bone or fish? Or if it is green or yellow or blue or soft or hard? Many foods carried in stores are marketed for the human eye. Colored foods are full of dyes & foods with soft or semi soft interiors have preservatives in them, all of which can play havic on a skin disorder dog or one with a uneasy digestive tract as they ad to their allergies. I also realize that bones are what dogs & cats eat in nature, but I have also see what undigested bones can do to a pets inside during life saving operations to remove them so would never feed them, along with some rawhide products. But in the end, we have to figure a food that we can see works for our individual pets, in a shiny coat, happy personality, & over all healthy body & mind.

It'd be nice if you could back up what you're saying with actual, scientific data but unfortunately for RAW feeders there isn't much, if any, available. I believe that's because the great majority of raw feeders become "experts" on just what their dog needs and so there is a wide disparity of what's being fed to these dogs including many nutritional gaps. It's pretty hard to test the "benefits" of that. smile.gif On the other hand, here is a link to an actual study done on the public health risks of feeding raw and as you'll read, salmonella (and other nasty bacteria) was passed at an alarming rate out of dogs who were fed raw and not so in those fed kibble. I'm sorry if you don't find this worthy of your concern, but your raw fed dogs mouths, feeding area and stools are all sources of potential contamination.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlere...gi?artid=339295

As to the general claim of your's that kibble companies use dogs and cats and fallen livestock in their mixture, I'm sorry, but this is not true anymore, at least here in the USA. Maybe 10 years or so ago you could have used that as an excuse, but not today when our top quality dog foods are made of human grade ingredients ONLY. wink.gif
There is a saying, "there are none so blind as those that just won't see" To me, it is basic common sense to feed an animal a species appropriate diet, kibble is absolutely not that....as I have said time and time again...it is grain based, dogs systems cannot digest grain.........but quite apart from that, it is messed about with big time and rendered imo ...as nothing more than a mush with little of value to our canine and feline friends. As to the salmonella and of course the "other nasty bacteria", really, do you think you go through life without bacteria teeming in and around you? Most bacteria including salmonella are pretty harmless if we use basic hygeine....like I am going to eat my dog poo.....don't think so. Like I am going to chop meat for my dogs or for myself and not wash my hands....don't think so.

Its all so easy to get worked up about these things, this is a reason why our children nowadays are so easily infected with things that we as kids would simply shrug off...we do not allow our kids immune systems to get strong by getting down and getting dirty, we have every sort of disinfectant and bleach, we wash 'em all the time...their systems never get challenged by all the different bugs my generation did (I am not that old by the way...born in the late fifties -grin-)

Have a read of these links, they should help toward dispelling some of the myths regarding raw feeding. I cannot take a case study seriously that states it only used twenty dogs, it also states that it used ten raw fed dogs and ten dogs fed various kibbles as the control, well these should not have been the control there should have been another group of ten dogs fed something else entirely as the control. I think you and I will always differ on this one, however, I think informed debate is always good and although we disagree and may do so strongly, I will defend your right to disagree with me and applaud you for being forthright.

http://www.api4animals.org/facts.php?p=359&more=1

http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/jesse.htm#commercial

http://rawfed.com/myths/bacteria.html

http://rawfed.com/myths/zoonotic.html

http://k9joy.com/dogarticles/doghealth01salmonella.pdf

http://rawfed.com/myths/research.html

My almost 2 year old cocker gets Nutro Natrul Choice High preformance dog food. its the ONLY thing she will eat and eat regularly. She only eats about a cup a day if that. She is very healthy, fit(about 20 pounds) shinny coat, and doesnt smell what so ever.

Its expensive at $40 a 50 pound bag but it last her forever.

I realize that everyone feels passionate about what they feed and how they feed. We all have things that work and things that don't know different then our horses. Heck the horse next door is well over 30 and looks amazing she has owned him since he was born and he gets pasture and grass hay that is it that is all he ever got

I know other horses that are aged and look great and get grain, beet pulp and hay no one way works for every animal or owner

If they look good and are healthy then so be it.

I realize that many don't think what I feed is the best and I don't claim it to be I have no idea what the "best" truly is I do know that my dogs are healthy, I do know that vet said he was very pleased with how very healthy the puppies are and how good they look - this is one of those cases that someone can be right without making someone else wrong.

I think Lisa has hit the nail on the head, here.

It is only "wrong" if the animal is unwell or unthrifty on it, and then it may only be wrong for that particular animal.

My second hand Doberdog came to me recently as thin as a rake- he also came with a bag of kibble SO expensive there was no way I could even contemplate keeping him on it even if I had wanted to.

I was also told he only ate once a day and then only once every other day!!

He now does the highest Doberbounces I have ever seen- honestly it puts the Snoopy Dance to shame-he eats a bowl FULL of brown bread and meat and vitamins and BOSS and Flax and he eats every scrap and licks the bowl!!

Twice a day.

Needless to say , apart from now being so glossy I need sunglasses, and hardly shedding at all, he is also putting on weight, good strong muscular weight, hand over fist.

Even Kassy was almost impressed when he jumped a three foot sheep hurdle the other day!!

So, basically, what works for your dog is right for your dog.

I am governed a lot by finance- I just cannot afford to keep my dogs the way some of you do, and have found out by research over the years that the huge amounts of money some pay for their food is not necessary to ensure their good health.

If you can afford it, good luck to you, no problem with that at all
default_smile.png

My dog gets Iams senior maturity.

Now I have 5 cats so I mix in an Iams formula with Mounds Dog Food. Mounds is cheaper, but really good quality. That cuts way down on my cat food bill.

I know you asked about dogs, but yes finances do play in. I only have one dog and he's only about 14 pounds so he does not eat alot.

Now, I am NOT trying to cause an argument here, but, you RAW feeders are saying about all the sick, diseased meat that goes into kibble. And you like the thought that your animals are eating how nature intended. But in the wild, wolves are opportunistic , they will eat nasty, rancid meat, they also live MAINLY off of the sick, diseased or old animals out there.

Heck, I have seen pet dogs having a field day on a 5 day old deer carcass, that smells so bad it makes your eyes water, but evidentally, they are enjoying it.

I guess my point it, I dont see how claiming kibble is laced with old, sick and diseased animal meat, it really a logical argument against feeding it.

Yep,. I feed kibble, but mainly they eat any meat, veggie or pasta table scraps. They are both happy, healthy and FULL of energy.

I understand the RAW diet works for you guys, glad you found something you are happy with, but I think a lot of people who feed kibble are being made to feel guilty, like we are not caring for our animals like we should. And thats not the case.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Now, I am NOT trying to cause an argument here, but, you RAW feeders are saying about all the sick, diseased meat that goes into kibble. And you like the thought that your animals are eating how nature intended. But in the wild, wolves are opportunistic , they will eat nasty, rancid meat, they also live MAINLY off of the sick, diseased or old animals out there.Heck, I have seen pet dogs having a field day on a 5 day old deer carcass, that smells so bad it makes your eyes water, but evidentally, they are enjoying it.

I guess my point it, I dont see how claiming kibble is laced with old, sick and diseased animal meat, it really a logical argument against feeding it.

Yep,. I feed kibble, but mainly they eat any meat, veggie or pasta table scraps. They are both happy, healthy and FULL of energy.

I understand the RAW diet works for you guys, glad you found something you are happy with, but I think a lot of people who feed kibble are being made to feel guilty, like we are not caring for our animals like we should. And thats not the case.

You have missed the entire point about feeding raw..........the reason raw feeders feed as they do is because GRAIN is an inappropriate diet for a dog, they simply cannot digest it...fact. All kibble is grain based and grain does nothing for your dog except fill it up...no good at all. Of course wild dogs eat rancid meat, their stomach acid is strong so they can, so is little Fifi in our kitchen, they still have wolf guts and when they eat a long dead something it generally has no effect on them I do not try to make any one feel guilty, you must do what you will....but it is a simple fact, if you feed kibble you are not feeding your dog a diet that he can completely cope with digestion wise. A question.........how many of you would feed ground meat to your horses? Nope, I didn't think so...it is not an appropriate food for them, but when it is the other way around everyone thinks its wonderful....I struggle to figure it out.

Now, I am NOT trying to cause an argument here, but, you RAW feeders are saying about all the sick, diseased meat that goes into kibble. And you like the thought that your animals are eating how nature intended. But in the wild, wolves are opportunistic , they will eat nasty, rancid meat, they also live MAINLY off of the sick, diseased or old animals out there.Heck, I have seen pet dogs having a field day on a 5 day old deer carcass, that smells so bad it makes your eyes water, but evidentally, they are enjoying it.

You have missed the entire point about feeding raw..........the reason raw feeders feed as they do is because GRAIN is an inappropriate diet for a dog, they simply cannot digest it...fact. All kibble is grain based and grain does nothing for your dog except fill it up...no good at all. Of course wild dogs eat rancid meat, their stomach acid is strong so they can, so is little Fifi in our kitchen, they still have wolf guts and when they eat a long dead something it generally has no effect on them I do not try to make any one feel guilty, you must do what you will....but it is a simple fact, if you feed kibble you are not feeding your dog a diet that he can completely cope with digestion wise. A question.........how many of you would feed ground meat to your horses? Nope, I didn't think so...it is not an appropriate food for them, but when it is the other way around everyone thinks its wonderful....I struggle to figure it out.

I dont struggle to understand your view point, like I said, Im glad it works for you.

But again, as you pointed out, our dogs are so far removed from their wild wolf ancestors, that feeding raw seems overkill. As I mentioned, my dogs get kibble, but MAINLY get table scraps.

Someone else mentioned having a dog that wont touch raw meat. I had one of those too, Shadow would would sniff it, and back up like it offended her. Weird pup...

Just curious, is feeding cooked meat a no-no? All our table scraps are cooked, it doesnt do anything harmful to the meat does it?

Just curious, is feeding cooked meat a no-no? All our table scraps are cooked, it doesnt do anything harmful to the meat does it?
Cooking meat just denatures it, it takes all the natural goodness out and the enzymes and vitamins etc (or most of the vitamins anyway) cooked meat is harder for a dogs system to digest. Raw meat is digested very quickly, it is leaving the stomach in around twenty or so minutes, cooked meats take longer, and kibble can take up to four hours to start to leave....because the breaking down processes have to work so much harder on "unnatural" foods. But if I only had the choice of cooked meat or kibble, then it would be cooked meat every time....and my dogs get table scraps as well...I am not anal about the feeding....just natural...lol.

Cooking meat just denatures it, it takes all the natural goodness out and the enzymes and vitamins etc (or most of the vitamins anyway) cooked meat is harder for a dogs system to digest. Raw meat is digested very quickly, it is leaving the stomach in around twenty or so minutes, cooked meats take longer, and kibble can take up to four hours to start to leave....because the breaking down processes have to work so much harder on "unnatural" foods. But if I only had the choice of cooked meat or kibble, then it would be cooked meat every time....and my dogs get table scraps as well...I am not anal about the feeding....just natural...lol.

LOL...,Thanks for the relpy.. I never thought about cooked meats losing nutrients. I just wanted to make sure that the meat being cooked wasnt somehow harmful in the long run.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back