What do you do with your aged stallions and mares.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Royal Crescent

Reaction score
I heard that a stallion that is in all 3 of my horses pedigree's was put down, possibly because he was now infertile. I don't know the whole story, but it got me thinking. What do people do when their stallions/mares are past breeding age? Do you put them out to pasture, gelded or not, to enjoy a well earned retirement? Do you find then a good retirement home? Do you euthanize? I only see the first 2 as options I could live with.

We all know circumstances change, but I plan to keep mine and retire them when the time comes (mine aren't old enough, yet, but a couple are getting up there).

I guess you don't ever know for sure what can happen down the road, but I feel a real obligation to my breeding horses and would do everything I can do do right by them. Plus, it's not a business to me. I love these horses!

That would not be my choice when it comes to aged horses, but I suppose it may be more humane than sending them down the river to Lord knows what fate. I went to a local tack sale once, there was a man there complaining about the slaughter houses being shut down. I do not have an issue with that, .....what I did have an issue with......his mentality was " well I have a mare, we have had her since she was 12, she was a good horse, she's old now, but now what am I suppose to do? Without a slaughter house, I either have to keep feeding her and she isn't good for anything now, or I have to pay a vet to put her down". My thought is, if an animal has served you well, you have an obligation to do right by it, whether that means responsibly rehoming it or letting it live out it's days as long as it's quality of life is good.

As many forum people know, I threw in the towel last year, just couldn't handle putting foals on the ground and not knowing what their fate may be down the road. I feel blessed to have placed all of the horses I had for sale in less than a year, and I was able to do so privately, and I did keep two. My awesome senior stallion, who was gelded last fall at the age of almost 17, and a companion for him, my ditzy taller mare, she is a gem. I felt my boy Omega, the Buck Echo son in my avatar, deserved to live out his days and I owed it to him. Logically at his age, someone would have wanted him him for a song and a dance to use as a stud for a year or two,

then what, decide since they really didn't pay much for him that he has little value and dump him at a sale, No Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Euthanise a horse just because one can't breed it anymore?! Nasty. I guess it's better than it ending up in the wrong hands, but, wow! That's the thanks they get for years of lining the owner's pockets? Death? A well deserved retirement out on pasture would be the right thing to do. I'm like Jill, my horses are not a business, they're part of the family (does anyone actually MAKE money in Minis/Shetlands? lol).

I will keep my retired minis,and put,them out to pasture..i take in old goats now from dairys that have served their owners for 10 or more years...they are pets,and they deserve to live the rest of their life with no worries...only if I see the animal in pain,will I euthenize.

We have several that are getting up there one mare is 26 never will have a foal for us and I couldn't care less. She will be here until she dies or it gets to the point where she is uncomfortable. Another stallion is 22 and has had one foal for us not sure that he would have more but he also has a home here until he is gone. They deserve a great retirement and I cannot see putting a horse down just because it is past breeding age.

Euthanise a horse just because one can't breed it anymore?! Nasty. I guess it's better than it ending up in the wrong hands, but, wow! That's the thanks they get for years of lining the owner's pockets? Death? A well deserved retirement out on pasture would be the right thing to do. I'm like Jill, my horses are not a business, they're part of the family (does anyone actually MAKE money in Minis/Shetlands? lol).
Matt said it well.

I take care of them, love them & give them a loving home until they pass away or are ready to be helped to cross over.

We have some wonderful "old" horses, and I would never consider putting them down unless they were in constant pain and there was nothing veterinary medicine could do. Our lovely mare Hemlock Brooks Amber Lace is 29 this year, has not produced for six years, but in very good health, although arthritis is starting to bother her in winter. She is the most gentle mature mare who teaches the young ones how to behave. Put her down? That would be like euthanizing your Grandma!

We've had a lot more old geldings over the years (simply because we've owned more geldings) and sometimes we find them a great retirement home, one with kids to pet them and groom them and feed them cookies, always with the understanding that if they ever no longer want them, then they come home to live out their days. We've given old mares to excellent pet homes as well.

The 22 and 25 year old geldings we have right now are both loved dearly for their talents and attitude and everything they've done for us, but neither one of them is ever going to make a kids horse, so they'll live out their days with us.

We also have two 21 year old mares and a 23 year old stallion. The same deal for them - they've done so much for us, we'll do everything we can to keep them happy and healthy in their old age.

It's possible there were other considerations than simply infertility that convinced the owners of the stallion to euthanise. I hope so, anyway.

I have several aged horses, 29, 27, 26, 26, 25, 23 and others in their teens. They seved me well and I intend to reward them with a retirement home here. I stopped breeding several years ago, these horses appear to still be cycling, but they will not be sold to be bred again. If they have incurable issues that cause constant pain and no quality of life then I will honor them with vet assisted euthansia, painful as it would be for me as I feel they are part of my family. These horses trust us to do the right thing for them in a humane and loving way.

We all know plans can change in an istant due to life changes, etc., but I currently have intentions of keeping my older horses. Puddin and Wiz passed late last year but I have Goldie and Butter left now in my "older" group. Both are still of producing age, but whether they produce again or not I plan to keep them.

Regardless of the age of an animal, and I realize I may get flamed for this opinion, if I feel I can't adequately care for them and I also feel I can't find another home that will - either due to them having medical issues or behavioral issues, whatever - I would absolutely consider euthanasia over possibly putting them in a bad situation. I believe, when properly done, it can be very respectful, calm and quick. I don't think the animal knows anything other than one second it was eating and being petted and the next it's gone. I do not believe they have emotional attachments in the same way humans do. I believe they have feelings and some capacity to understand, enjoy, etc., but not to the degree that proper euthanasia is stressful to them. Just my opinion.

If at all possible, I believe we owe them a retirement home if they've produced for us, given us joy, etc. That's the least we can do.

Having had to put down horses for injuries or illness in the past, I would in no way consider euthanasia for an older horse just for being infertile. It is way too stressful and sad to see an old friend leave when they absolutely have to go, much less for a trivial thing like that.

We have several old horses here, one is 32. Everyday I go to the barn I am anxious to see his gorgeous face looking for me. He is in great shape and still enjoys life and I hope he can enjoy it for a long, long time. Yes, it costs more to feed him senior feed. Yes, he is more time and effort. I heard all my life you can tell how a person will do for humans by how they treat their animals. I hope to give him dignity and respect for all the joy he has given to us when his time comes, but I also hope it is a long, long time in coming.

I guess just disposing of old horses makes financial sense to some. Not to me. These are my pets, my friends, my comfort in times of stress and woe. I will continue to keep mine as long as I possibly can, then find another kind old soul to care for them when I can't any more....despite their age.

This particular stallion I believe was a World champion. I would have hoped that his retirement years would be lazy in a pasture somewhere.

we dont have any aged stallions but when we do i'll have them gelded.

we do however have a number of rescued old ladies, oldest being some where are 35 (we think) and they live with all the other girls on our farm.

when they dont have a decent quality of life i will have them put to sleep but until then they are fit and happy and can still

gallop about when they want.
default_xreiter.gif
especially if they think you want to worm them........

I believe that anyone who puts down a stallion or mare just because it is now too old to make the owner more money should be shot. End of story.

We have quite a few "oldies" now-one stallion will be gelded soon and is going to go to a friend's where he will help with her special olympics program. Some of them need a confidence booster before going to the "biggies", and this stallion is just the most amazing horse you could ever ask for that sort of thing. You can lead him around without a halter, he loves to give kisses, there is not a mean bone in his body. I had no intentions of ever letting him go, but this retirement home for him is better than mine
default_smile.png
If it hadn't come along, he would live out his years here along with our older mares. We have bred them, putting their lives at risk, and they have been wonderful. One actually taught me how to ride when I was a little girl. They are special and I hope we can have them around for many more years.

That's a no brainer for us......Keep them and let them retire......What do CARING people do with their elderly dogs and cats? I know some are cruel and heartless who turn their older pets over to a KILL shelter, and the older horses to auction for slaughter, but these animals are not just breeding machines! They are also companions! Euthanasia is available when the animal's life is obviously on the downward spiral and THEY tell us when.

Having had to put down horses for injuries or illness in the past, I would in no way consider euthanasia for an older horse just for being infertile. It is way too stressful and sad to see an old friend leave when they absolutely have to go, much less for a trivial thing like that.

We have several old horses here, one is 32. Everyday I go to the barn I am anxious to see his gorgeous face looking for me. He is in great shape and still enjoys life and I hope he can enjoy it for a long, long time. Yes, it costs more to feed him senior feed. Yes, he is more time and effort. I heard all my life you can tell how a person will do for humans by how they treat their animals. I hope to give him dignity and respect for all the joy he has given to us when his time comes, but I also hope it is a long, long time in coming.

I guess just disposing of old horses makes financial sense to some. Not to me. These are my pets, my friends, my comfort in times of stress and woe. I will continue to keep mine as long as I possibly can, then find another kind old soul to care for them when I can't any more....despite their age.
I couldnt agree more.
default_yes.gif

We are not in that position yet but our plans would be to keep them and let them enjoy retirement for as long as they are comfortable. If health issues became a concern and they could not be kept comfortable then of course we would consider euthanasia but that would be only if needed. I agree with the others that have posted they are part of our family and I cannot see just "disposing" of them because they are no longer able to breed. My horses have value that isn't counted in dollars and cents - it is counted in my heart.

Back