What do you do with a SMART horse??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N

New_Image

He is too smart for his own good.

Image rides great for me although as with any young horse he gets a wild hair or feels his oats every now and then.

But when he does....
default_new_shocked.gif
All I can say is Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

He has the same personality as Molly, he doesn't want to be treated like a horse and be told what to do - rather treated as a partner or friend and asked, then he will do it to the best of his ability (Just like mom) This is fine, I'm used to that & love that about Molly so I love it in him.

However when we disagree, we disagree hard and he is smart (God bless her... but un-like Molly)

Image is so different from any horse I've trained before. We have only "disagreed" twice while riding, ever. He is now what I'd call fully broke as he can walk, jog, trot, canter, stop, turn and back at the drop of a hat - He just needs miles now.

But here we go - Yesterday, we had our second argument while riding only this time he was wise beyond his years.

He wanted to bounce and hop, I wanted to walk. I asked for walk, he bucked, I yelled "NO", he stopped and stood there. I asked for walk, he tucked his head under and bounced in circles with a smirk on his face. I pulled him into a circle, after twice around a small circle he thought "Screw this..." and tried to bite my leg so I did what my riding instructor always said to do and booted his nose. He stopped and stood there quietly. I asked for walk. He sarcastically grabbed onto a rein and started turning himself in circles. I pulled the other rein and he literally pretended he was going to fall down and sat for a minute. I said "Okay enough... Walk" He walked half way around the arena, got a little smarter and grabbed a rein then tucked his head and hopped sideways. I said "Whatever, go for it Image" He stopped hopping when he realized I didn't care. He stood confused and slightly saddened for a minute because I wouldn't argue anymore. Then he had another idea... He backed himself up. I turned him and asked for walk. He pretended to fall or half sat down again (His new favorite thing to do) I sat there laughing at him along with several other people. He stood still again. I asked for walk and he took a reign and bounced again while turning himself in a circle. I decided enough was enough and gave him a good couple jerks in the mouth with the reigns. He walked then decided for no reason he would try a rear, see what that did. I was getting sick of it (Although it was hilarious) jumped off mid rear and made him circle his pants off. Got back on he pulled the same things.

Mind you he had no good reason to do anything and his ears were up in happy mode the whole time. He never tried anything to get me off and never tried to go back to the barn, just being Image.

So at this point I decided to lounge him because he was being completely obnoxious, not listening, being non responsive, and getting himself out of every form of discipline you can do while riding a horse.

He has always lounged great. He went half way around the circle lounging and bounced, grabbed the line in his mouth and took off! He made a pass by the road, a few circle around the house, once around the barn and came back. As usual, anything normal doesn't work with him. I grabbed his lead and took him in a pasture, set him loose and made him run. Run run run. He got the message 30 minutes later, finally he put his head down and licked his lips, I made him run one more time around the pasture the let him stop. I walked up to the gate, he followed. He put his nose on my back and waited. I turned to walk, he followed, nose on my back. I stopped, he stopped. I turned, he turned. I trotted, he trotted. I opened up the gate and we walked up and down the drive way, him completely free with his nose on my back. I finally turned and said "Good boy" we went back up to the barn. After 20 minutes of cool down for him I got back on, we walked out to the arena, rode for 5 minutes PERFECT. And called it a day.

All that! For 5 minutes of his time. I hated to ruin his happy bounce/buck day but its just not what I was going for at that time
default_rolleyes.gif

So I rode today and he was just as nice and quiet as can be. Wonder when our next bounce day will be? Maybe I should by him a trampoline....

I've never had a horse mock me quite like him though. Brat.

Anyone want a buckskin??
default_laugh.png

Oh man he sounds GREAT!!!! I LOVE horses like that
default_smile.png
Is it possible that he's just bored? My Appendix mare would pull similar stunts like Image...not as opinionated, but I got the message.

I think you have yourself one he** of a horse who'll end up doing whatever you ask him and you'll always know what his opinion is
default_smile.png

The does seem to be his problem. He HATES arenas. Hes bored! My problem is he gets too bored to easily.... :DOH!

He was never better then the time we rode down the road 2 miles to trails that are overgrown. We had to go threw mud, over logs, under branches, threw bushes, up steep hills, down rocky hills, he loved it and was focused on me the whole time.

Guess he needs a more interesting arena
default_yes.gif

Could just be his age too. My Arab went through an "I'm smarter than you" stage where I too had to do two hours of work just to get a five minute ride, but he grew out of it. Perhaps you could teach him some new tricks, try him at obstacle, even just add ground poles to give him something to think about (other than mischief)? What helped with my Arab was that I started doing trust exercises (like tag/possum) with him every time I went out to catch him. That way he got his fun, and then I got my ride.

My percheron/paint cross gets bored easily. He hates arena work. Try changing things up often. Make obstacles, work cavaletti, make a bridge or teeter totter. You gotta keep his mind busy and just going in circles isn't going to do it.

Amanda

Don't need a buckskin...got a couple of redheads!! With Kody I mostly laughed but Pyro is almost as bad as Immy was being (he'd be worse than Immy except for the mild success of my desperate efforts to stay ahead of him). Some days I think you can't do any more than you did: laugh at them, wait them out, apply a little discipline when they cross the line then end on a good note. It sure sounds like Immy's a handful though! What a sense of humor.

Horses like that are difficult but worth their weight in gold. You have to work hard at all the simple things but when you need him in a tough situation you'll be able to count on him. Besides, he's young. He's got the rest of his life to be serious and sedate- you can't blame him for feeling full of it!
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Oh My Goodness
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
You have a way with words and I was laughing so hard my dog thought something was wrong with me!!!! Hysterical, girl!!!

To answer your question,"what do you do with a smart horse?" You share their antics with others to make them laugh!!!!!

Sounds like you have a good horse, I love him already.

Hmm, sounds like 2 horses we have out at our barn, Ferrah and Sheniah. Two smart-as-a-whip horses that cant help but be bad
default_no.gif
Ferrah is a Caspian pony that would make an AMAZING horse if we could find someone willing to work with her
default_wacko.png
You see, she had a nasty strike where she would bite and kick anyone that came within 2 feet of her, so it was hard to get other horses out of the pen
default_wacko.png
Now she is getting better and we are working with her 3-4 times a week. She seems to LOVE jumping, so when we lunge her, she has small jumps to keep her focused. Find what he likes and work at it for a while!

I'll take him in a heartbeat! When can I pick him up?!?!?!?
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_laugh.png
He sounds just like my big boy I lost last year. He would tolerate arena work for a little while but then would just refuse to go around in circles anymore. He always preferred to go out on the trail and explore. He would do the arena classes for me and we could usually win the speed events.

Latest posts

Back