What do you do for

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annabellarose

Reaction score
I bought a Miniature Horse gelding at a sale yesterday that you can tell has been in with a rowdy herd. I am almost 100% postive that he was running with at least two, much taller, stallions. He has bite and scrape marks all over his body and legs. They are all scabbed over, not bleeding, and do not appear to be infected at all. Is there any "wonder drug" kind of product or treatment that you use to try to prevent or minimize scarring? This guy is a gorgeous little pinto with a show record out the wazoo and I would like to continue his show career and, with that in mind, I would really like to try to prevent or minimize scarring.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

You can use preparation H on him, for scrapes and bite marks it works really well. It grows the hair back in great! We had another trainer tell us about that years ago when my morgan got a scrape on his pastern and tried it and within a week hair was growing back in. Good luck with your gelding and sounds like hes lucky you got him out of there!

Here is my recipe to prevent scarring. I have used this mixture on big horses in the past that have had stitches. 100% has always worked for me.

Mix in bowl (this is your main ingreidents)

corn starch

zinc oxide

vasline

You can add any one of these to it (optional)

desitin ointment

aloe in any form

sulphur

(I don't measure anything)

yep, have used Schrieners, but for open wounds. I swear by this stuff

to grow back hair, use a baby butt ointment. never heard of Prep H, but going to try it too.

We always use oil & iodine....its like a miracle drug! we had a yearling cut his head clean to his skull in a horse trailer and before we realized how deep it really was it was too late to stitch,(i think it was 2hrs after he did it)anyways our vet told us to use oil(like crisco) and put it in either a spray bottle or something with a dobber and mix it half and half,half oil half iodine.... we healed his cut wide open and it never scared at all. and everytime we get a horse with a cut we mix up that miracle drug and use it!! it does wonders!!!

Schreiners has always done a really good job for us, but my favorite product is a greenish colored spray called Super Green. (NOT Simple Green the cleanser) It costs about $18 per bottle. It has healed up huge gashes that were 16" long and about 4" deep without so much as even a mark left over. All the hair grew back and everything. Once I saw that, I tried it on a couple of cuts over the years, and a couple of serious injuries on my big horses and it is really a miracle cure. The other thing that really helps with scarring and proud flesh is water therapy. Your little guy might not have anything serious enough for this, but running a cold hose on an injury for 10 minutes twice a day will really get the healing process going. It gets that circulation going and cleans the wound. finally, if you get to the point where you just want hair to grow back in on a scar etc, try MTG (Mane and Tail Grow) It smells really strongly of beef jerky, but it really works for hair regrowth. Best wishes!

Back