What comes first, nice cart or nice harness

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I'll start by saying I have an easy access cart to practice with. That said, what is more important to start with, a nice harness or a nice cart?

For example, a so-so harness with a nice cart, or a nice harness with a so-so cart.

Wanted to mention that I'm not planning on driving at nationals this year, so thats not something to worry about.

I would say invest in a nice cart first. Look at some pictures of horses in harness, what catches your eye first (besides the horse), the cart that the horse is pulling or the harness that the horse is wearing? The cart is usually as big as the horse and, more than likely, your eye is drawn to the horse first, the cart second, the driver third, then the harness.

I showed my Quarter Horse mare in a cheap (but clean and in good repair) black nylon harness at fun shows, county fair shows, and at a couple of open shows and I always placed first in all of my classes, even against Morgans, Saddlebreds, and Draft Horses. I wouldn't have attempted this if we weren't a nice picture overall (very well-trained horse, clean and matching harness and cart, I was wearing proper show apparel, etc.).

I second the cart first.

Like its already been stated after the horse you see the cart and the driver.

Its only upon the line up that they might actually see your harness.

I would spiff up the cart , and get a good Harness. you can reuploister the seat, give it a new paint job , and new wheels ..I used a nice easy entry cart for showing in the local shows , and even came in first to someone with a fancy cart. just shine it up , and keep your tack clean , and yourself in a nice outfit. just my oppinion, and what i didi without any problems

Depends.
default_smile.png
My first concern would be the harness - one that is comfortable, fits your horse and doesn't pinch. You don't have to spend a fortune to satisfy that, but keeping your horse happy is first on the list. If the harness you have fits that description, then go for the cart LOL.

Jan

Nice Cart!!!

I highly recommend having a training or "home" cart and harness at all times to...

But for show I bought a Graber and I now have several Harness, ranging from the $200-300 dollar ones to the Fancy Rolled Leather one from Ozark
default_wub.png
I saved up for months to buy that harness and I love it! But I also love my cart and can't wait to get another!

However any harness you use must be Safe!! Fancy can come later.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my harness off lilbeginnings. Someone out of TN hand makes them. Very nice, fine harness. Its not rolled, but looks super on my gelding. I paid $250 for it. And she told me people have used these in national winnings. So they can hold up in the national ring just fine. I've had mine for 3 years and use it for show and everyday driving pruposes. The leather is way nice and fits the horse perfect. There are deals out there, just have to watch. You don't have to get a super nice harness right now. Get one that you can show in and looks nice. Then upgrade later on (harnesses hold their value pretty good).

As far as the cart goes, I would shop around. You can also find good deals on used ones. Carts hold their value well. So get a nice one, then upgrade to the one you truely want later. So you'll look nice in the show ring without breaking the bank. I purchased a graber cart new. Very nice cart, new, for a great deal. But I also traded for an older style Jerald for my B mini. I try to wheel and deal to get things rather than pay full price.
default_wink.png
I have repainted several carts and made them look super nice.

But the most important purchase you can make is no-more-flats for your cart. The are truely a life saver!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are pushed for money (and which of us isn't??) I would definitely go for a nice balanced cart, so long as your harness is an OK fit and doesn't pinch etc, you can get away with hiding a slightly tatty harness far easier than you can hide a cart!!

And, yes, I agree with Midnight, if you can, invest in an exercise cart, mine only cost $300.00 and you can get them cheaper than that second hand.

Keep the nice cart for best!!

As of right now I have an easy entry cart (given to me) and 2 harnesses that I dont think are really usable. I cant remember exactly, but im pretty sure theyre those cheap leather ebay type.

No matter what I get, I'll have to get a harness, I was just trying to figure out if I should go for a nicer cart (unfortunately cant afford a brand new jerald) and budget harness (like the low end leather one from ozark) or a nicer harness and a cruddy cart.

I THINK I might have found a decent cart that wont break the bank, so I might have both by summer!

Please don't let everyone convince you that you can't find a nice leather Miniature Horse harness on eBay. I am so tired of hearing that! A couple of months ago I snagged a new Miniature Horse harness on eBay that I would not hesitate (!) to use at any rated show or at Nationals. It's very nice and I think I spent around $125 plus shipping. It isn't English bridle leather buttery soft, but it is strong, well-made, well-fitting, comfortable for my horse, and attractive.

I did the nice cart at Nationals last year. I am going to get the nice harness at Nationals this year.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back