What color is she?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllieB

Reaction score
Hi, I'm just wondering what color you would call this girl. Her registration certificate has her as a Sorrel. I don't think she looks sorrel...I am new to the mini scene & the whole color-definitions thing, so am just curious what you think!

She was registered before I got her.

Yearling2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]She looks a little like Champagne (sp) does she have any freckles around her eyes or muzzle?
rolleyes.gif
[/SIZE]

Bill

Without knowing the colors of her parents & judging from the photos....she appears to be a shade of Silver-Dapple (Silver-Black).

I am voting silver dapple as well, one of my colts from two years back had that same funky shade, it was from being bleached by the sun. I would bet if you clip a spot, it's be a pretty steel grey.
yes.gif

She is a Silver, often mistaken for Chestnut or Palomino. Just send the photos in and ask for the colour to be changed.

She looks just like one of my mares that is registered silver dapple. Her sire is a silver buckskin (at least that is what I think), buckskin for sure. This is mine.....

gal1.jpg

Oh, how cool. I've always liked the silver-based colors!

Her dam was registered as a chestnut, but to me she looked like a silver bay; she had the reddish-tan body, and darker brown legs, muzzle & ears, with a very white mane & tail.

Her sire was black & white; but he's got a lot of grey and silver dapple in his background, as well as chocolate brown.

Here's a not-so-great picture of her dam; sorry, that's the only one I have (she's not my horse)

silverbay.jpg

Thank you for all your input! I'll have to send in a color change request for her registration certificate.

Oh, and No, she doesn't have any freckling aroung her eyes & muzzle. The skin is a very light milk-chocolate color.

Ellie,

Your filly is definitely a silver dapple and her dam is a silver bay, like you suspected.

The problem of having the wrong color on registration papers is very common and sometimes can be difficult to change. You can try doing it now while you send her ownership transfer pictures and information and see what happens. Otherwise, you next best time will be when you have her brought permenant.

MA

Quick update for anybody who might be at all interested.

She's not a silver dapple; she's a Palomino.

I bred her to a Buckskin last year & a couple weeks ago she had a pretty little completely-pink skinned, pale-blue eyed Cremello colt for me.

Somebody (my mare's mom or dad) must be hiding a creme gene in there somewhere...

Here's a link to the baby she produced when bred to a Buckskin.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c257/EllieBK/baby3.jpg

she could still be silver but just didnt pass the silver gene. She is a dilute silver though is she is.

I would guess a silver dapple with a dilute gene. that could throw a palomino when she was bred to a buckskin. the silver gene may be lurking in the palomino foal also.

My daughter has a choc silver dapple and was listed on her papers as grey so i sent in a note and pics--the registry changed her to sorrel!
default_sad.png
I even put in the note that she was a choc silver dapple...maybe that color does not "exhist" in the registry.....any past foals show her as "grey" which she is definately not....

jennifer :saludando:

Latest posts

Back