What color is our new filly?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stallion certainly looks Silver to me and we all know what Silver's are for showing false dorsals so it is likely the Dun has come form Mama not form the stallion at all!

How's that for confuzzling?

The foal looks a straightforward Black Dun to me, but there is no reason why Papa could not be masking Cream, and the foal be both Black Dun and Buckskin (what are we calling it now?) and we could quite feasibly add Silver to that mix, too, without it affecting the basic colour of the foal, so I think you are just going to have it tested!

well to make things more confusing her face is turning light again and the inside of her back legs are starting to shed and I think I see barring. Cant wait till next yr to see whats under all that fuzz.

Dam looks like a typical bay, sire a silver sooty buckskin that is probably showing countershading (thus no dun-at least i don't see it). From pictures provided, the filly looks like a buckskin and probably going to be sooty like sire so is going to be darker when she sheds. That's what's creating the dorsal-countershading.

I've been known to be wrong a time or two though
default_smile.png
But, that's what i'm seeing

Grullas dorsal should be from the head all the way into the tail unless they are dark in color. At first I thought grulla now im thinking not.

Back