What Are Your Future Plans?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
In light of Dr. Taylor's thread and the Newbies Wake Up thread, it has me wondering.....................

What are your future plans in light of this? How do you plan on weathering the storm so to speak? Myself, I am concentrating on showing and enjoying my minis. I have two in training this year and had two campaigned last year. We had lots and lots of fun and met several terrific people. Less focus on breeding, but nothing too new there. It has never been a goal to produce several foals but just maybe one or two top quality ones.

I'm interested in hearing your plans and thoughts as we forge ahead.

We've been putting a lot of thought into just this subject of late. We have never bred extensively anyway but we have pretty much decided that we are no longer interested in breeding for resale. It is too difficult to find buyers in our area and when we do only about 20% of them seem to be people we are willing to sell to. The rest scare us so bad that we can't make ourselves believe our horses will live safe and happy lives. I know they will find a mini elsewhere but not one of mine. So we are in the process of arranging to geld our well bred(and rather expensive by todays prices) young stallions and downsizing our mare herd to probably just my one driving mare.That will leave us with fewer than 10 horses, mostly geldings. Then we will focus on what we enjoy the most anyway, driving, driving and driving.
default_yes.gif
It will free us up to go to more driving events and who knows we might throw a few breed shows in now and again. I will miss planning for the new foals in the spring but we've decided it makes no sense to breed until age catches up to us and we have to do a dispersal to whoever will buy.

We've been pondering this for months too. The economy is still dragging, the horse market is saturated, and an awful lot of people seem to selling out or at least downsizing. I keep hearing that "good horses still sell for good prices" but I've seen an awful lot of really nice horses advertised for ages and still not sell, even at reduced prices. I'm not trying to be a downer, we just need to face the facts that the supply far outweighs the demand right now.

For that reason, we are cutting back on our breeding and planning on doing a lot more showing. We've had a different horse in driving training every year and this year we may add a second one. Now that my foot has been surgically fixed (mostly) I hope to be able to train some on my own again too. With 22 breeding age mares I thought that we would be breeding for ten or so foals each year by now, but we'll have to adapt. At least I'll get lots more sleep!
default_smile.png

Less breeding and more showing. The studs don't like it that way but I take them out and show them so they still have some sort of a job.

Less breeding and selling off breeding stock. Realized that I have way too many mares for my operation or desire. Only bred two back this year.

When I hit reply my heart sank, I am not a confrontational person, very shy if you ever met me, can say more on the computer then to someones face, sorry it's just the way I was brought up. Sometimes when I reply people miconstru what I'm trying to say. Maybe it is the fact that I wasn't able to go to college, but maybe that is just an excuse, anyway this is what hubby and I have been discussing for a while.

I'm not going to talk about all the money spent, or lost, pedigrees or whatever. We have decided since the economy is so bad that we are going to downsize. In the past we have held on and tried so hard not to sell our minis by the pound, so to speak. I have refused many buyers and stuck to my guns on prices, but now I would like to have a few things of my own since I'm getting on in years. I'm probably going to sell most of my AMHA small horses and keep only a couple, I'm just waiting for the weather to co-operate so I can bath and clip. I'm not going to have pro photos taken again, doesn't help much if at all. When we sell most, I'm going to buy a couple of nice mares and maybe a gelding for my grand children to show that are the National caliber, ASPC/AMHR, then breed those mares to my stallion that throws such lovely small heads. I plan on keeping two stallions, and if the other two don't sell by fall I will geld and keep them as they have given me so much, at least if I geld them they can spend their days outside with the other geldings and save me some work.

I plan on taking a vacation, we haven't had one since 1999, I plan on going to the hairdresser and having my hair cut by someone other then hubby, buying new shoes as per my Doctor, buying some new clothes. Not having to spend my whole retirement check on horse feed and bedding, not having to spend my whole tax refund on hay, maybe buy something needed for the house. I plan on having a clean house, sewing more and maybe going to a movie or a cookout once in a while and not have to rush home to take care of horses.

I will get my daughter and grand children to show more as with less horses to care for I'll have more time to condition and travel, (Only hope my old truck holds up). Don't mean to depress anyone, I'm not hungry or homeless, but it will only take one more bad episode with hubby to put us over the edge.(I'm talking about health). The economy stinks, excuse the language but that is how I feel.

If you ever got the chance to know me you would know I'm a very nice person, but that has gotten me in trouble, I'm so tired of people taking me, such as I'll redo your web-site, give me a deposit, well you give them the money and never see it again, also the ones that say, sell me that horse, I'll show it and you never see it in the show ring, after you have lost money on the sale thinking they are going to promote your farm name you find out that they didn't even transfer the papers. Well there is a sucker born every minute, need I say more, and I won't give out their names for fear of retibution. any how I still am optimistic about my future, God help me! Oh by the way there is an influx of unwanted, unsellable horses this year, to all even myself that are trying to downsize and sell all I can say is good luck!

We happily have our two geldings. I plan to take Shake into the driving ring this year for his Super G and Futurities and porbably the 3 and 4 year old driving class. For kicks, we may do gelding halter again, if the class schedule works so that we can do it without taxing him. After this year, plans are to head into the open classes with the big boys and see how that goes for us. He will be my show horse and I will spoil him rotten every single day. That's what Shake's future holds.

Eli is going to be in his halter futurity this year and plan to show him in the open and futurity classes at Nationals. We have nominated him for the Super G as well, so he'll be doing that the following year. With the size of step on this colt, he was born to be a roadster.
default_aktion033.gif
This makes hubby very happy. I'm looking forward to starting him in harness work. After that, hubby wants Eli to do some of the breed shows with Shake and I, to keep us company. But his real plans are to get into CDEs with Eli. We are fortunate to live near a Horse Park that has a nice CDE course. That is more the hubby's thing than the show ring by a long shot.

This season we will support the SMLEC shows, and go to two of the three that are being held. We may tuck in Area IV, and then Nationals to be sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have also been down-sizing because of the enconomy, but mainly because we just needed to not have so many to feed. We have been feeling the pinch of having to sell them for 1/2 of what Mel used to sell them for and it has really hurt him
default_no.gif
...because we breed and sell only 100% Arenosa-bred we still haven't had much trouble selling and in two years we have sold 25 head for very reasonable amounts! We are sad to see them go because some Mel has had for many, many years, but at the same time very happy that they found wonderful new homes
default_aktion033.gif
..We have since also bought into raising Miniature Hereford Cattle
default_yes.gif
, so we wanted a smaller group of ponies. We will continue to breed 2-4 mares a year and spend more time enjoying them by showing some which AClassic Touch has NEVER done before
default_new_shocked.gif
and also showing our cattle. We want to spend more time with all our friends in Area 8
default_saludando.gif
These are our plans so far!
default_wink.png

I guess I have a different veiw on things. I know the market is bad. I know I have paid more for mine than I could ever get for them now. I have spent years just to get where I am now. I only breed a couple a year and this year will be the best so far. I feel the miniature horse breed could use what I will have to offer. At least in my area. I have seen minis that I would like to have, but they are just too far away. I have had some shipped before, but with rising costs, I just can't see doing that anymore. I have kept my herd small so I have been very specific about what I want. Most of mine are young and just now reaching breeding age. I am not giving up yet. I have a goal and am going to stick with it. I have never planned to have more than just 2 or 3 a year anyway. (well,, maybe 4). I want to show them and learn to drive too. The ones we have shown have done very well, so I know they are quality and they all have great bloodlines.

Other people are still going to pump out their unregistered or poorly conformed minis. I can't stop them. I just know I will have something better to offer.

I just wanted to add, that I don't think people on here are producing bad quality. i hope you all know what I meant.

Good topic.

OMG Terry - too funny. Spending money on yourself - lol what a concept!

I agree with Sheila I can't be responsible for the unregistered/wonky Minis being produced/sold, but I'll keep trying to educate people on conformation and even if it's a pet it can still be correct. I wish I had followed my original plan 12 years ago, my numbers would have been smaller all along, but you get talked into things and there you go!

We've been scaling back our herd to a manageable size for the past year or so. Not necessarily because of the world/US economy but I'm going through the big D and need to make those life adjustments regardless. That said, I'm not giving up on breeding, but definitely being very considerate on which horses I'm going to breed, etc., and selling down the herd slowly. We've been gelding more to. I'm willing to be flexible on pricing to a good home, but having had some disastrous horses come back in need of care last year, much more picky now on where they go!

Goal for this year. Updated photos of all the horses for our website. Going through all my excess horse stuff and selling off the accumulation that I don't need. More repairs/replacement here to make things more functional. Limited breeding and selling 15-20 of the Minis.

I'd like to say we're going to show, but the funds aren't there, as I'm not willing to compromise on the horses immediate needs (feed/farrier, etc.) for show fees. Maybe next year with AMHA doing the half day shows. We're also working on getting more horses under harness as that's an area I've really never explored. I've had a cart/harnesses for years but never used them.

I'm now at a place with my herd where I'm happy and excited about the future. I do still have several horses I started out with, but I've added some new ones, and the quality is overall better now than when I started. My numbers are comfortable, and I'm planning on breeding 3 mares for next year. I'm VERY excited about next years foals! One foal will for sure be a keeper. The other two are going to be by my new boy, so we'll see about them once they hit the ground.

I just got a new stallion, who I think will help me tremendously in what I've decided I want to do. My goal has always been to produce quality, friendly, sound, sane, pretty horses who can show and be family horses. I've refined that a bit more, to producing all around horses, who can halter and drive. I know, it's a rather broad focus, but I want to get more into driving, and CDE looks awfully fun. My girls are all decent movers, and my new boy is a powerhouse of athleticism.

I'm happy with where I am. I don't feel overwhelmed with numbers, and I'm planning on getting my boy into harness soon. I want to get two of my girls trained as well, but one will be bred to Hollywood this year, so Princess will go into training alone, and Holly will wait. I downsized and refined the herd over the past couple of years, so I'm ready to go into next year with a fresh start.

We have been thinking about this a lot since we lost another foal this week. Probably most of you will think we are crazy, but we are not ready to give up breeding quite yet. In 5 years of breeding (2006-2010), 2 (or 3) mares a year, we have added only ONE mini (a gelding who is still here) to the miniature horse population. So I am not going to feel terribly guilty about our contribution to the overpopulation.

Before we give up, I would like to get at least ONE FILLY or another outstanding stallion that could carry on our breeding. I still think we are on the right track, breeding for horses with balanced conformation, great temperaments, and the ability to excel at performance including driving and CDE. I think we owe it to Max to not give up just yet.

I do think it is time to stop kidding ourselves that we can make money at this, unless the market really turns around. So we may well keep any foals we are lucky enough to produce. I see many mentioned they are planning to do more showing, and we already show and plan to continue. We had a financial setback though, (in addition to our huge vet bills) and may have to scale back some. I hope to do more American Driving Society events this year (along with Pinto and AMHA shows) and will be teaching more minis to drive, including the mare that lost her foal yesterday. I can't help but notice how many times driving was mentioned on this thread!

Targetsmom.........I am so sorry for your loss. I had no idea you lost another foal. I certainly understand your not wanting to quit breeding. My goodness, Max was gorgeous.

I forgot to mention in my original post that I want to have one of my minis trained to drive. I need to call my friend Laura about that.
default_wink.png
I already have a great cart that my husband bought me two years ago for Christmas so I need to really get moving on that goal.

Thanks to everyone that posted. I always enjoy reading everyone's posts.
default_aktion033.gif

I have been working on cutting numbers but that has slammed to a halt with the economy. Can't seem to sell even cheap, may look into giving them away as the last option isn't good. It would cost more to do coggins, health cert, consignment fees, gas, food, motel for an auction, etc than to put them down......

It is hard to get past what I have invested in these horses, but I have to just give them away and suck it up.

I want to keep just a few, my 3 Limestone horses and my driving gelding so my APHA mare and several minis have got to go. Not sure about being able to show, between gas prices and the changes the Ohio Gov. has planned, might have to stay home this year.

I started downsizing in 2007 by not rebreeding any of my mares.I sold my 2007 foal crop and planned on selling more horses.I finally gave away several to good homes.I have lost so much money on trying to breed sane quality horses that losing some more money doesn't make much difference.At least I don't have the bills and the care.Gelded a really nice producuing homozygous pinto.He's very shy, but sweet so he will be here til the right home comes along.I have only 6 Minis left(down from almost 40)lost my old Cushing's mare in Jan and a pinto mare 2 days later. Have 1 20 yr old with melanoma, 1 23 yr old healthy,1 22 yr old with IR and 1 19 yr old borderline Cushing's and founder. 1 15 yr old healthy gelding. I can relate to Riverrose about vacations.Just recently got back from a 25 day stay in New Zealand&Australia and the only thing I had to take care of was ME.Boy was it nice.Significant other of 25 years stayed home and took care of all the horses and my 2 house dogs,Corgis.Nobody got sick and everything went well.I really needed it after losing 2 mares in 1 week and having the vet 5 times in that week alone.Lots of impaction colics this past winter.I love my horses, but after more than 20 years and the bad economy I am glad I'm slowing down.I still miss not having foals, but I get to see what everybody else is getting.I plan to take better care of myself now that I don't have so many dependents to take care of.

Riverrose, not to worry about stating what is on your mind. I like straightforwardness. Yes, the economy and "life" has me thinking I need to revamp and get back to doing what would put me in a better "view of where I am in life right now."

I like this thread. It is like a free advertisement opportunity. Now I can put a hint out there of what I would be willing to sell now and what I plan on selling in the future without notice that about "sales" mentioned on the forum being a no-no. You know be politically correct (hmmm, very rare for me.) Sorry to get sidetracked but once upon a time I mentioned in telling about dog having puppies that we would be selling the pups. Was a newbie and got caught up in the excitement of the litter's arrival. Got the admonition that I had "crossed the line." But have often since noticed announcements of other canines and felines and all sorts of chat back-and-forths about selling, and yes PRICES, and shipping prices, and so forth. Apparently there are exceptions which apply conveniently.

Ok, guilty of hi-jacking but glad I finally got it off my chest. Is it hot in here or am I just venting?
default_10_2_12.gif
default_doh.gif
default_oops.gif
default_yes.gif
default_crybaby.gif
default_blush.png
default_footinmouth.gif
default_unsure.png
default_rolleyes.gif
default_laugh.png
default_new_let_it_all_out.gif
My oh my I do tend to get emotional. All better now? All better now.
default_biggrin.png
Yes. I am stepping down off the soap box.
default_1857272.gif

So, I plan on within the next year getting down to reducing the numbers to where I have my stallion and my 2 proven broodmares, maybe 3 broodmares if another one finally settles this spring. Duh, so I will also be selling future foals. Just can't help myself and the addiction to those precious foals. Guess I need to get through the first steps of my mini horse addiction. But of course, mares in foal can also sell when owner is willing to give them up.
default_wub.png
And also I will keep my little special "Sunny" (go to my gallery to know who she is) until I am old and in my rocker or somebody convinces me they can give her all she deserves and more.
default_wub.png
Only plan to breed for a few more years anyway and then when I retire from work I plan on being without horses (except possibly with Sunny). Maybe forever, maybe when I am done with some much needed traveling I will get back to riding (just for the fun and freedom of being in the saddle). I might again have a mini or two but probably by then I will be hooked on R and R. I want to spend some time abroad. A good friend of mine will be retiring this year and she ownes a condo in Germany. I have also spent time there and would like to go on an extended vacation there after I retire in 2015. Owning minis does not exactly fit into that plan, I understand. Also want to see parts of the U.S. that I have never been to. This probably sounds crazy but I would like to visit different parts of the U.S. and RENT a home few months, year, whatever; and then move on and do it again somewhere else so that I can make a decision of WHERE would be a fit to reside according to my likes/dislikes and hubby's likes/dislikes. Decades ago couples could do this in an RV. We both have pioneer spirits so we know in our hearts what we desire. We just do not know where. But, all this means reducing the numbers and it will be very hard since we love each and every one in our small herd. That means as soon as bathing and clipping happens I will actually make an effort to sell a blue roan colt just turned a year old since I only need one boy. Also this spring's colt will be up for sale after he is weaned. Letting them go will be bittersweet but sooner or later I will have to sell some. I just get so emotionally attached to our animals. As previously stated will continue to breed a few select for at least a couple of years so will be selling next year's foal(s) no matter what sex. Cost of feed, hay, worming, shots, registration, as well as other costs does ADD UP. I used to think I wanted to show but those thoughts seem to have paled. I will also be looking for a good home for my tiny sorrel paint mare since she is not really show quality (very animated, good prospect for pet quality home or show in "costume"). She has gone through a c-section previously and I am very protective of her. She is one of the most easy to love pocket pals we have so she is going to stay here until a non-breeder home is found for her. And since my heart has not really been in selling any of them I have made no effort to. But a game plan is in the making. I suppose I will remain hopeless until I buckle down. These guys have been therapeutic for me to a degree. I really do love them but sometimes when I am grooming horses my mind drifts back to when I used to go get a massage about once a week. NEED SOME ME TIME!!!!

And riverrose mentioned a clean house...ha/ha/ha! I had that in a previous lifetime. At this point in my life I am not sure if I could get back to that degree of organization if I were animal free. And I can so relate to the part about the haircut. Three weeks ago I walked into a different salon and got a short spunky cut. Made my mind up to do that while a was shampooing my colt and got tired of the wind blowing my hair in my face. The clippers went kaput before I was done with him but he still looked better than me at the end of the day! Must have been a good change. I have received lots of compliments on the new "do". I needed the ego boost after deciding last year to no longer cover up the gray. Now I spend more time putting on makeup and jewelry. Then, I rush out to feed the horses and hi-ho, hi-ho, it's off to work I go. Today was a reality check for me. The news came out at work that a lady that had retired around six months ago had found out two weeks ago she had pancreatic cancer. We were reading the obituary today. After I retire I want to really enjoy some time not working, just enjoying life without a whole lot of responsibility. I have earned it. Common sense tells me to get there from here I will have to sell off most, if not all of the horses.

I admire everyone on the forum for stating their goals. Whether it be showing, training, breeding, reducing numbers, rescue, or just making important decisions. The common thread that keeps us returning to this site is the love of our little horses. Obviously, the various factors that have an effect on our lives put us in the position to make decisions concerning our own minis. I wish everyone the best!

Right now, I just want to get my radiation therapy over with. One day at a time. Once that's over, I'm not quite sure which direction I want to go. Can't really afford to do many shows, I may not even be able to afford Nationals this year.

I'd really like to cut back numbers. Had one filly sold FOUR TIMES. First person even had a deposit on her, never heard back after four months. Second person promised the deposit check was in the mail-TWICE. Third person never sent a deposit, never came back. Fourth person couldn't get transport.
default_wacko.png
Maybe we're supposed to keep her? She's a small Buckeroo bred cremello filly. *sigh* Had a stallion sold, even let them take him since they were local but couldn't complete the contract so he came home. A bit thinner than I like, too...

We have been thinking about this a lot since we lost another foal this week. Probably most of you will think we are crazy, but we are not ready to give up breeding quite yet. In 5 years of breeding (2006-2010), 2 (or 3) mares a year, we have added only ONE mini (a gelding who is still here) to the miniature horse population. So I am not going to feel terribly guilty about our contribution to the overpopulation.
me, too! Except for losing one this week, your luck sounds like mine, even the same years. From 2006-2010, I've added one filly to the population, and she's still here, but may go to a new home this spring (if the gal is still interested, we only talked on-line, but she plans to come look this spring, sometime).

Our plans are to stay small - right now we have only 8

2 geldings

2 stallions

4 mares

We do not have any mares bred for 2011 so I can just droll over the foals you all have

But we have our new stallion (my dream boy) a palomino Buckeroo son. Who is in training right now and will be attending his first show next month. Somewhere inbetween we have 3 mares we will breed him to for 2012. So we plan to be in this for the long haul. Even though things are bad in our economy now hope to see some improvement for next year. For now we are concentrating on selling 1 more mare and seeing where we go from there as far as numbers. We will probably add a couple mares in the future but we just want to stay small.

For this year enjoy showing and get our geldings out trail driving again now that hopefully we have more time

Latest posts

Back