what are the colors that may be produced?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promise

Reaction score
Okay, I get really boggled when I go onto color sites and they start thowing out the letters that represent the colors. So maybe you all can give me a hand with this....

What are the most likely colors that will be produced by a ......

buckskin stallion with heavy buckskin background bred to a jet black mare that has a sorrel sire, grey grand sire (FWF Little Blue Boy) and not sure of the grand dam (FWF Copper Penny). The black mares mother was a silver dapple. (I am not sure how a silver dapple and a sorrel produced a jet black mare but that is what she is.)

Any info would be great, PLEASE GO SLOW, I AM AN IDIOT WITH THE COLOR THING!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks,

PROMISE

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I get really boggled when I go onto color sites and they start thowing out the letters that represent the colors. So maybe you all can give me a hand with this....

What are the most likely colors that will be produced by a ......

buckskin stallion with heavy buckskin background bred to a jet black mare that has a sorrel sire, grey grand sire (FWF Little Blue Boy) and not sure of the grand dam (FWF Copper Penny). The black mares mother was a silver dapple. (I am not sure how a silver dapple and a sorrel produced a jet black mare but that is what she is.)

Any info would be great, PLEASE GO SLOW, I AM AN IDIOT WITH THE COLOR THING!
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks,

PROMISE
Hopefully, I won't confuse you more and I"m sure others will come and help as well.

Let's see... Buckskin stallion cross on black mare. [buckskin stallion has heavy buckskin background; black mare is by sorrel stallion and out of silver dapple mare].

Well, you can get buckskin, bay, black, smokey black, palomino (if stallion isn't homozygous for black and we know the mare isn't homozygous for black as her sire is sorrel], and sorrel. I think that about covers it.

Silver dapple x sorrel produced black, because silver dapple is black-based and the mare didn't pass on the silver gene (black is dominant to sorrel, so she looks black, but mostly like has one black gene and one red gene).

Hopefully this helped and didn't confuse you more.

Latest posts

Back