What are some of your slang terms

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood Farms

Reaction score
I hear some of ya'll have trouble understanding us Texans. I know I have a cajun friend that I actually make her spell things for me, and I still do not get it sometimes...Then she hollers at me and laughs. I think we both get a good giggle out of our accents, and our lack of understanding sometimes. So, I thought it might be fun to hear everyones quirky things they say.

Over yonder is anywhere in a 100 mile radius

a few days ago can be months ago

Ya'll is You all

Getcha one is get you one

a coke can mean any soft drink, so it is like do you want a coke? ok, which kind, Pepsi, sprite, coke, diet?

gotta is have to

purdy is pretty

pickumup truck is any vehicle on the road except a car

over thare can almost be anywhere

You gotta remember : to understand us, slow down your brain, we talk really slow, with a drawl... ( that is my take it on it anyway,LOL)

We frog gig, cow tip, eat the famous mud bugs, which are crawfish, and go to the beach year round, and wear shorts in winter. A lot of us really are hicks.

So, what do you do, and what kinds of things do you say?

:lol:

Never heard "Geez-o-pete", but this family has a huge mix of 'em- my step-dad grew up in OK, my mother grew up all around the place, and my husband in OH.

THEN you toss in the fact my husband, brother, and I all use computer slang (one of my common ones is "what dude?") and 1980's/1990's slang, and you get some weird mixed slang.

"Awesome... that is like... so totally cool" "Yeah, I'm like... seriously, what?" (Yes, we do say it "what")... "Whoa dude!" we even haul out "Totally Tubular" when we're feeling particularly freakish LOL Sometimes it's "How rude!", or "Oh my god!" to which hubby replies "Why's it always gotta be about YOUR god?" (No, we're not massively relgious here)

Coke is... well, Coke to us. I call 'em "Sodas" but in OH they called them "Pop" so I end up saying "Soda pop" half the time. Or heck, "Gimmie a Pepsi!"

Crawdads aren't crawfish (or crayfish either...) and We're all web-footed (since we're Oregonians... ya know... all that rain?) ... there's loads of them. My mother's favoprite when hearing other people mispronounce Oregon as "Or-e-gone" is "Or-a-gin hasn't GONE anywhere"...

In OH, they ay Medina "Muh-dine-ah", here it's "Muh-dena".

I have a driver's license but here a driver's license is referred to as "licenses" in the plural form and referred to as "them" or "they" .........

"Where is your driver's license?"

"They are on the table"

Another one would be that "I shut the window" or I rolled up the window on the truck

Here, you shut the glasses, or you rolled up the glasses on the truck

Shovel means the town of "Shelbyville"

Forms of "YOU"

Yalls

Yallzes

Youins

Urines (like pee pee)

Yuns

Fixin

"What are you going to do"?

"What are you fixin to do?"

Cent

I say that I have 50 cents

Here is said that I have 50 cent

Heal means "hill"

Sill means "sale"

Peel means "pill"

I plant flowers

Here, you "set them out"

I'll add more as I think of some

Used to be in alabama, no one opens a door they mash it. same thing with a tb test or anything they do or dont want pushed on. they tell you dont mash it

I can only think of two right now.....

soft drinks are called - Pop

A Creek is called a - "Crick"

Here are a few from "Out West"!

blowhard-bragger

scuttlebutt-rumors

Chisel-cheat

crowbait-poor quality horse

deadbeat-useless person

shoddy-poor quality

the whole kit and caboodle-all

skedaddle-run like heck

bang up-first quality

beef up-make stronger

wind up-finish or settle something

lick and a promise-to do something without much care
default_rolleyes.gif
: Mary

Mary- I think I must be adopted!!

Or maybe half my family I do not know about emigrated- I use all those terms.

MMM let me think......

mint = brand new

aye= yes

dead on = means im fine

water boot ye = how are you

thats a cracker = thats very good

gosh i cant think today
default_wacko.png
: ill come back later lol

I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA and they have a whole different vocabulary there than what I've heard anywhere...the first one that comes to mind is:

Yins...or Yins guys - meaning "you all" or "all of you" . I have never ever heard that term used by anyone except someone from Pittsburgh or surrounding area. I don't say it anymore unless I'm talking to someone from Pittsburgh as everyone just looks at me like I'm speaking chinese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya'll say funny stuff, too.

Shane, where did this one come from, water boot ye = how are you? I would have never ever guessed that meaning.

We get Shoddy jobs here all the time. Fixin is very common. Come to think of it, I rarely hear anyone say what are you going to do. We mash taters round here, Muh-dine-ah, yup that's us.

Here are a couple more:

Oh, Dingett, oh durnett, and shuck e durn.

We also have thingy ma bobs, and do me flichys

My friend calls me goofy as a road lizard :risa_suelos:

Ok here are a couple of other I just thought of.

Pull green chain=sorting the green (wet new cut lumber) as it comes down the line. HARD work.

Crumbie (as in crumbs of bread) A small bus like thing that took the loggers to work.

Two more! My hubby uses "whatca ma call it" and "thig a ma jig" for about anything! Drives me nuts and he knows it so I think that is why he uses those non words so much.

Heh Jane, maybe your previous life was in the Old West! World is getting so small that I think we are all getting very intregated in our speech. Mary

So I come from California, and I still have the accent versus those from Colorado.

My sayings are really bright.

For instance, I sat WAH-ter

My friends say Wuhter - and they kinda roll the "r"

I am really guilty of saying "Sweet" meaning cool, or awesome.

I am in the habit of saying defintely, totally so...

Out here everyone calls soda - "pop" I refuse to call it that. It's soda, plain and straight.

The thing that also gets me, is Coyote. Everyone out here says CIIII-ote

I say Ci-oteeeeeee

You say the "I" like it is the letter.

Oh, We also say 'what" or OMG or the best is O-M-GEEEE

Jessica ((Jess_P)) Knows what my crazy accent is like. I like hers. She has this eastern/southern accent going on.

when i first moved to northern ireland from england.. people used to approach me and say..."well..what about yee""..........i really couldnt understand what the heck they meant...till a while later...

it means..how are you!!!!!

also...at school theyd be saying the lords prayer.......

theyd say..

"as we forgive those who tresspass against us..

for the PAR and the glory""

i went home to my mum and said.. whats the par mum..........

we laugh now!!.. of course it is the power....but if you here the northern accent you,ll know what i mean...

For a plural you a lot of people around here say "Yous".

"wudder" instead of water, but I guess that's Philly not Lancaster
default_smile.png

People drop words like "with" and just say, "I'm finished my homework."

Being the only Mainer "Mainah" posting I gotta say it, the number 1 saying is:

"You can't get theah "there" from heah "here". typicially roads never go straight to where you want to be.

In Maine the r in a word is pronounced "ah".
default_wink.png
:

Bar Harbor, Maine: Baah Habah, Maine

Kittery, Maine gets slaughtered into Kittree, Maine

also the front yard "yaad" : is called a doah yaad: door yard

lunch is dinner and supper is supper

:lol:

Man this is a fun post, so I'll add my two cents.

I'm in Ohio, but I pronounce it Ah-hi-O. Because I'm originally from Indiana.

I call a bowl--bow and pronounce role--row.

A dog house is what the front clip of a car is called, and a refrigerator truck is a dolly.

I use the slang yaall all the time, call a brown paper bag a poke, and call the creek a crick.

ROTFL, Wudder is: wudder ya doin?

Funny, we can use the same words and mean totally different things.

I say the state as Mo-zuri, I think ya'll say missoura for Mo. Louise-iana is Louisiana and Caribbean can be said either way here.

New Hampshire like Maine you cain't get theah from heah. Tonic is soda, Jeezem Crow [gee whiz]. Lamb fries [bet you can't guess what those are]! Swamp donkey [moose]. Whatchamajigger. Linda B

Latest posts

Back