An update on what's left of Chaos Ranch

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaos Ranch

Reaction score
Well, we managed to get all of our things moved over to our new place. Built my dog pens... they're 16'x32' pens... fat lotta good it did me cause every one of my daschunds got out by digging. lol... Since I was having so many troubles with escaping dogs, and moving woes I gathered up the remaining 5 Aussie puppies I had, and 3 Daschunds and all of their registry papers and took them over to a lady's house and gave them all to her. I still have my big Aussie, Shaker, and one pup that I had raised when we lost Katie and had to bottle feed the pups from a week old. His name is Stetson. I also still have 4 female Daschunds and one male left. One female has a 3 week old litter of 5 (4 girls 1 boy) and one female has a litter of 5 just born today (4 boys and 1 girl).

As far as the horses that remain ...there are 3 mares and 2 stallions. I have a really nice home picked out for my Cross Country colt... a young 15 year old girl is madly in love with him and they have been keeping him at their place for the past 3 weeks. I will most likely give him to her.

I have not decided on what to do with my other 4 horses. In a very serious way I really hate to see it all end... I will miss my miniature horses something awful... but we have only 1 acre of ground and SO many other obligations that require our time and finances that it's best for everyone including the horses if we go ahead and place them somewhere as well. It's a hard decision... one that I keep putting off, but ultimately I am sure I will sell them all for one low price just to get them into a good home and close that chapter of my life. Hopefully someday we can rebuild a small herd later in life once the kids are grown up a bit more and those surpise expneses don't seem to occur as often.

Speaking of surprise expenses... ya'll that know me, or read many of my posts are familiar with my oldest son, Dakota (Kody). He's had troubles at school, troubles with his biological father, troubles with tons of things....well... he was climbing a tree out back a week ago and he fell out into the creek below it onto his shoulder. I could tell instantly that it was broken in two. My friend ran us up to the local hospital and they did tons of x-rays and gave him some pain meds. That poor little 86 lb. 15 year old boy broke his arm all right, broke the bone clean off the ball that goes into the shoulder and it was moved over 2" or more from the bone it was supposed to be attatched to. What did my wonderful hospital do? Gave him another pain med shot, stuck him in a sling, and made an appointment with an orthapedic surgeon for a WEEK LATER to see what we should do. They wanted to let the bones naturally find their way back to one another and regrow bone around the break.

My poor boy was miserable. We brought him home and the next day my husband called and he insisted that we call our family doc and get Kody in to see him for a second opinion. We did .. as soon as they took the x rays he said this boy needs immediate surgery...called a med school buddy of his in the next town over who happens to be an orthapedic surgeon and the next afternoon he was in surgery getting a steel rod drilled into his bones to re-align them. The surgery went great, they got a 90% re-alignment... he's in almost NO pain at all, and was able to return to school the following monday. He goes back tomorrow for another x-ray to check progress and may get the rod out in 3 weeks.

The other kids are all doing great. They are loving our new place with barely any mosquitoes, lots of fun trees, a creek, a play house, a shorter ride on the bus, and much more time to play outside.

My husband Donnie went in to the local college and was approved for 100% state funding to return to school and further his education in any field he chooses. They'll even pay for his gas back and forth to the school. That's going to be great. After 16 years in the factory, he's ready to step out and begin doing a speciality job that he can actually enjoy and benefit his family with.

Our new place is really working out well for us. I miss my horses, I miss them something fierce... but I find comfort in knowing they are in great homes... and knowing that I did the right thing by placing them in new homes where they could get the care they really deserved while we got back on our feet financially and though I loved them greatly... it was a love that told me that it was time to get them into homes with less mosquitoes, and more pasture.

Raising a family with 5 children is a huge financial undertaking... much greater than I thought it was. We don't try to keep up with the name brands, the newest game systems, and bedrooms full of cd's and computer games... there's no point in all of that... I've always thought it robs a child of personal discovery and causes a real lack of imagination and robs us of family bonding... but one thing I'm determined to do this year is buy Christmas gifts for my kids... haven't been able to do that in 8 years and this year... and many years after is going to be dedicated to my kids, my family... this past year and a half... since witnessing Marty and her family go through the loss of Michael and reading so many of the things she has written has given me a whole new image in my heart and in my eyes when I look at my children... I will eternally carry a soft spot engraved in my heart for Marty and her family... and I hope to pass on the appreciation of family to my kids... my grandkids... and hopefully my friends and family.

I know this seems like a very personal post. Even probably a little boring... or pointless to those of you who do not know me well.. or the issues I have shared with this forum over the past few years. I just wanted to update those of you that I have come to carry close to my heart... and to let you know that I will still be stopping in to read the forums and occasionally post. I just had to do what was best for my little horses and sadly the best home for them was no longer with me. I had to love them enough to admit that and take steps to make it better for them.

Marty... to you especially I want to say that I have never in my life encountered anyone like you. You have forever impacted my life... your compassion and understanding far surpasses anyone I have ever known. The advice you have given me has been my strength to do what's right and guide me when I don't know which way to turn. You're beautiful son Michael is an inspiration to my kids.. and to me.. and encouragement and strength for my kids to speak up against drinking and driving to anyone that will listen to them no matter what any of the other kids say. We will carry him, and you and your family in our hearts for the rest of our lives.

Anyways... that's about all for Chaos Ranch... I suppose it has come to an end now and I'm just Kim C. again.

Kim, I am so happy for you that your life is starting to fall into the right things happening.
default_wub.png
: I also worry about my horses when I can no longer handle them. :no: (I have health problems). That decision must have been so hard for you to make, but I know you did the right thing for the horses because you love them so much. Hoping your life continues to be bettered every time you turn around. Sounds like it is. Good Luck. Keep us posted about your family. Of course we are interested, even if you no longer have your babies.
default_yes.gif
: And your poor son, how that must have been so painful before something was done. Hope he mends quickly. (((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))

Last edited by a moderator:
KimI am glad things are looking up for you.I am sure you will miss your horses but as you said there will always be more horses available

Trust me with 5 kids and dogs you will and can always be Chaos ranch if you choose to
default_yes.gif
:

I know these decisions were not easy for you, but you are wise to make them. My heart goes out to you in all you are undertaking and know that you will find great joy in your work of raising your children as well as perhaps find new ways to do so.

Thank you for updating us,

Liz M.

:aktion033: BEST OF LUCK KIM! and kudos for doing what you had to do..I wish you only the best for you and your whole family.

Be happy and content in your life.

Maxine

Glad to hear updates and good luck raising 5 children, I know how hard it can be,

I raised 4 children now grown and paying for 2 weddings ... :eek:

You will never be "just Kim C"! I do not know you, but from being on here for several years I have followed the plights of you and your family and have ALWAYS admired your strength and devotion to your family.

Be proud of making responsible decisions and putting family first!

Dang it Kim.......You got me blubbering all over myself......

Kim, We agree that FAMILIES COME FIRST

There is nothing more important than our children.

You do what you have to do.

I know you miss the horses and breeding those gorgeous dogs, but you still have your children and will always have them and that is better than anything else on earth.

We didn't have all that Nintendo stuff either. I couldn't afford that stuff. If I bought the player, I couldn't afford to buy the games that went with it. It was a miracle that we had internet! Instead, my boys went fishing, swimming, and hiking and of course went cow tipping and learned how to make stuff in the garage.

Kimmy this not the end of Chaos Ranch.

Look at this as a whole new beginning of the New Chaos Ranch. You still have plenty of 4 legged critters around you.

And I"m thrilled you'll be able to give your kids a Christmas finally. Kids need Christmas and so do some of us big kids.......

Give Kody a hug from me and tell him I"m going to get after Michael for not being there to catch him! He must have been busy working in his heavenly stable that day.

For those that do not realize, Kim is not only nearly totally blind, but her children are going blind as well.

Kim, I'm so happy to see you have made some tough decisions but are still going strong. There are times we all have to make decisions that seem hopeless, but then find in the long run they were the best for all concerned.

Please don't stay away we'll miss you too much.

May God bless you and keep you and yours in His loving grace.

Oh my gosh.. ya'll made me cry... saying such nice things and all.. thank you so much for your kind words and your encouragemenet and support. It is so very greatly appreciated. I tend to second-guess myself a lot... but with these new changes in life I am not questioning if I've done the right thing or not... it just feels right and I am actually feeling quite content and settled down...for the very first time in my life.

Marty is right.. my vision is really playing some nasty cards and it does make things pretty difficult for me. I can't drive anymore, can't see the printing or the "sign here" lines on AKC paperwork or AMHA/AMHR paperwork anymore...and I sure do hate leaning so very heavy on my husband to do the many many things that I can't see to do anymore...as well as my paperwork and driving. I now live right next door to my best friend and his wife and they help me tremendously. They know my vision problems and I am not ashamed to ask them for help, and many times they already know I will have troubles with something and will automatically help me before I even ask.

All in all, life is good. I do still have 4 legged critters,... I still have my kiddos and my very dedicated hard working hushand... and I still have a community of compassionate, caring, down to earth, always knows the answers to my questions, down-right good folks right here on Lil Beginnings that I know I can turn to when I just need to talk, or gripe, or ask questions, or share something funny. What more could a person ask for?

default_wub.png
:
default_wub.png
:
default_cheekkiss.gif
: :538:

Kim

Its so good to hear from you again --- glad progress is being made - even with the sad things.

Like others have said - Chaos Ranch will always be alive as long as you want it to.

In 1993 I lost one job at a company where I worked -- and had to move from TN to NY -- I had a small farm then - 6 acres -- had to sell everything -- all the horses except one riding horse -- all the cats and dogs had to have new homes too.

in now I have my dream back again -- have 5 acres and minis instead of full size horses -- have cats, dogs etc.. in '93 I never dreamed I could have it again.

Bottom line here is --- hang on to your dreams -- you never know when you will have an opportunity to go for them again, they may be changed in content or scope -- as you will have changed too --- but your dreams can be possible as long as you really want them to be.

You are doing the right things for you and yourself and your family -- hang in there -- it will be your time again, sometime in the future.

Hugs to you and yours -- and please keep posting.

JJay

Latest posts

Back