What about pony saddles

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I need one for a 34"-35" more slender pony and one for a fatter 32 inch guy. Would I use about a 13 or 14 inch saddle? I really have no idea and want to buy these without trying them on, over the net, so I need to have some idea? Can anyone offer advice? I know it'd be good to fit them on first but theirs no place around here to buy any.

If I put this on the wrong forum, please move it to where ever it should be.

No advice here....as I'd like to know the same information. I have a 40-41in pony and my daughter wants a saddle for X-mas. I have no idea how to figure out what size to get. Hope someone has some idea and thanks for reading my mind and asking!
default_saludando.gif

Even a 12" seat is too long for most minis.

Look for lengths on the saddles. If I remember correctly, 16.5 " was as long as I could go on my guys. 33" minis. I did find one that length. The average 12" seat is 17" long.

Measure your horse's back. You don't want a saddle that sits on the hip.

It's hard to find one that fits a mini correctly.

You're safe with a 10" seat and actually you wouldn't want a child much heavier than that on a mini.

A saddle's seat size is typically determined by measuring/fitting the person, not the horse.

If you are using this on the bigger minis (any mini much under 34" is impossible - really) then look for the saddles with rounded skirts so they won't interfere with the horse walking. Even the small pony saddles (10 & 12" seats) sometimes come with big skirts (the leather part that fits on the horse). Definitely measure the back of the one you want to use as my 33" girl is much shorter in the back than my 34" gelding.

As you can see this "pony" saddle can be worn by my gelding but the saddle pad is much too big. As for the child the 10" seat is fine but the stirrups are WAY to long to even adjust properly. I had to ad a leather piece over the saddle horn with stirrups for them to use in the leadline class.

2006_0704July40005.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try a little English saddle. Even on my 12.3 hand pony that my grand daughters ride, a "pony saddle" is too small for their butts and a western saddle just swallows the pony. An English saddle worked out nicely.
default_smile.png

Orzark has some saddles. And Saddlepad. I have there cataloge infront of me,

Let's see...

There's a

-"Miniature Bareback pad" ( i would go with that one, becase nothing will intefeare with anything it's just a pad)

-Western saddle: 10'' seat, and it's total length is 17''

-Toddler saddle: 8'' seat, 15'' length

-Condura Saddle, 11'' seat, 20'' length

-English saddle : they have a 14'' seat and a 12'' seat, and there legth should be the same, or close to.

A saddle's seat size is typically determined by measuring/fitting the person, not the horse.
That may be true on large breeds, but not on ponys. Their backs are too short for a horse saddle. You can't have a saddle skirt sitting on the hips.
That quandary is not lost on me; however, a seat too small for a child is just as useless as a saddle too large for a pony.

I bought an awsome saddle for my mini......It was a big horn synthetic, VERY light, and a 14 inch. My mini was 34and 1/4 and good thick withers. (full bodied) I believe this saddle was called the "barbie saddle" it was 300.00 dollars and light as a feather. hope this helps

I let Jessie get a saddle when she first got her mini. I measured the skirt of the saddle to make sure it would not extend back on the horses hips. Different saddles, different skirt size. so even if you find an 11" saddle the skirt of that saddle may be too large for your mini.

I looked on ebay for one similar to what we use. here is the link. 10" saddle on ebay If link doesn't work, this is the item # 350100018549

One thing to be sure of is haveing a suede seat. a slick leather seat is hard for little ones to stay on unless they can use the stirrups.

Here is a picture of our little 30" gelding wearing the saddle. My granddaughter weighed about 20 to 30 lbs at the time.

Trouble in saddle We also use this saddle on our 38" minis.

You may need to get a short girth or whatever the white strap that goes under the belly is called. I think ours is 8" or something like that.

Angie

Last edited by a moderator:
HI,

We have just recently had some new saddles designed for the minis with a 12" seat. they have the short skirts so that they are not back on there hips. we also have the 10" saddles as well. gIVE ME A E-MAIL and I can send you a picture of them. We don't have them on our web site as of now, they are so new. They are also made here in USA, not an import.

[email protected]

www.ttminihorse.com

We bought a 13 inch saddle at first, but like someone else said it was too big for our mini, so the next sale we went to we found an 8 inch and a 10 inch saddle (both Leather) and we bought them. They fit much better. They also do have the rounded skirts. They were brand new and we got them for less than $100 each.

Latest posts

Back