What a differance in judges can make

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravation Acres

Reaction score
I went to a fair the begining of August with a Miniature Horse judge. In a class of 10 my gelding did not place. But at the Crawford County Fair with a Quarter horse judge the same horse took champion gelding and Reserve Champion. We had just over 40 miniatures in the halter classes(total in the division). We were very happy.

In both the Arabian and the Morgan classes they had only about 20 total in their divisions. The Quarter horse division used to be huge but was a lot smaller this year. I did not get a chance to keep track of how many they had. But a lot of their classes were empty.

I keep telling them that the mini's are taking over the world.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Deb

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, the judge can make a big difference. The one & only time I showed my black gelding Dusty (to be honest I think of him as more Percheron than QH in type) the judge--a QH man--absolutely loved him. Dusty won the championship. A Mini judge--at least your 'typical' Mini judge, wouldn't place Dusty anywhere, because while Dusty is correct & very cute--he just doesn't have that level topline. That boy is draft horse butt all the way!

What I always enjoyed was showing our Morgans--good examples of the breed, definitely not off type horses that looked like QH's, and we showed them like Morgans--on the open fair circuit in the open classes, against mostly QH and Appy competition, with QH & Appy judges in most cases, and we were always at the top of the class. That always made people sit up & take notice & we'd here people mutter "oh no, the Morgans are here"! :lol:

Congratulations on your win! Is that the horse in your avatar? Nice fellow!!

Congratulations on your wins!!!

I also have a quarter type mini mare, really like her
default_yes.gif
: but it's hard to place high in the mini halter classes. Nice to hear there are other options to show the quarter type mini's in.
default_smile.png

Congratulations on your wins!

It's true about some judges they'll just love a type. The key is learning which ones are like that and going to the shows that you actually stand a chance at!

Congratulations! One of my best / favorite minis, Tibbs Sundowner, is very much like a little QH
default_yes.gif
:

This is a interesting topic. I had a judge come over and visit and "study" my minis this past July. She is a quarter horse judge, but was going to do her first mini show, held in Michigan. I was so sure and made a bet with my farrier that she would pick all my "quarter type" mares before my "araby type mares" WOW--was I wrong, she fell in love with the refinement of the araby ones and the stockier ones were her last pick! I dont show my minis, so I just love them for being them
default_wub.png
: Just this past week I sold her sister one,and she is going to show....and hes a stock type, which she prefers, and it sounds like she would also like to get carded for shows, ..and I bet she picks stock over refined if she does start judging. At the show--this judge did right however and picked those that were being presented as the best, regardless if they were araby or QH type. Corinne

Deb, congratulations on your placings!

Yes, much depends on the judge, even when they concur. Many of the judges also judge big horse shows, Quarters, Paints, Etc. After all, some do make their living as judges and are qualified in different disciplines. And there are judges who prefer the quarter type miniature! That is what judging is about...........you get a range of opinions!

I keep telling them that the mini's are taking over the world.
Love your comment!

Thanks for the nice remarks.

Yes, James is the horse in the Avatar that won. I don't post pictures (have not really figured that out yet). But that is a pretty good shot of him, it was taken 2 years ago. But I must say he is about 40 lbs lighter this year. I really kept an eye on his diet this year.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I really agree on the comment about the judge picking the one that was presented the best, regardles of the type. I would hope more judges would start this. Some shows make people with the not so popular type just quit showing.

Deb

Back